Cassel's "Ceiling"

There seems to be a narrative out there that Cassel is an uninspiring, "game manager" who might be able to lead the team to 10-6 if he can manage to keep from tripping over his own shoelaces.

In Cassel's good years (08, '10) his QB rating was top 10, and his combined TD/INT ration was 48/18. He made a Pro Bowl. The '08 team scored 410 points and the '10 team scored 366 points.

His '08 team had Sammy Morris as a lead RB, with a strong WR combo (Welker in his prime, still explosive Randy Moss).

His '10 team had RB depth (Thomas Jones/Jamaal Charles) and mediocre receivers (Bowe/Moeaki).

This is the best offensive personnel Cassel has ever played with. It is certainly the best defense. He is healthy and is not playing for Leslie Frazier, Todd Haley, or Romeo Crennel.

There is a ton of similarity in Cassel's stat lines to Alex Smith's recent years in SF/KC.

So while I understand that the YPA might not be high, Cassel is not the same as Orton, or Fitzpatrick, or other retread QBs. Smith is a better comp and the Bills would have won 12-13 games last year with Alex Smith as their QB.

I don't see why Cassel can't put up a 95 rating, a 3-1 TD/INT ratio, while keeping his attempts at around 30 per game. If that is "game manager" it will still be a Pro Bowl stat line, and the team will win 12 games at minimum.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to argue. Although Alex Smith is the epitome of a game manager. The Chiefs had zero TDs to WRs this year and that's not all on the receivers

If Cassell is the 16 game starter, I think we will be just fine. He's a solid QB who has had some great games, but also plenty of stinkers

I love the positive attitude but most likely, you are fooling yourself. This is like last year when folks started talking about a contract extension with Orton. After 10 years in the league, you are what you are. Cassel has had 2 seasons where he wasn't a bad starting qb, the last one 5 years ago.

He is what he is. If he's your backup, you are in great shape. If he's your starter you are limited. He is capable of a good start but he will follow it up with 4 ints like he did last year against the Pats.

Pray for one of the youg guys to step up because this will be exactly like last year with Orton.

I love the positive attitude but most likely, you are fooling yourself. This is like last year when folks started talking about a contract extension with Orton. After 10 years in the league, you are what you are. Cassel has had 2 seasons where he wasn't a bad starting qb, the last one 5 years ago.

He is what he is. If he's your backup, you are in great shape. If he's your starter you are limited. He is capable of a good start but he will follow it up with 4 ints like he did last year against the Pats.

Pray for one of the youg guys to step up because this will be exactly like last year with Orton.

I am fine if one of the young guys step up. Cassel would be a more than competent backup.

I believe you can attribute the poor years of his career to coaching transition, injuries, and poor supporting cast. When Cassel is given an opportunity to succeed he can do it. He has not had much to work with in recent years.

This is also where there is a huge drop off after the top 10 or so QBs in the NFL. I believe the Jags, Raiders, Browns, etc. would be contending teams if you gave them a top-flight QB. Cassel or Alex Smith or whoever can't help those teams. However, the Bills have the roster where a guy like Cassel can thrive.

12-13 wins with Alex Smith last year? Well then Smith must have crown molding around his ceiling.

Are you saying Alex Smith would not have beaten the Texans, Chiefs, and Raiders last year?

I hope our young guys step up, but if not... this is the best team Cassel has been on, imo. Especially if our OL gels. So I'm pretty confident we'll get at least average QB play this year, and that's all we "need" to make the playoffs.

I hope our young guys step up, but if not... this is the best team Cassel has been on, imo. Especially if our OL gels. So I'm pretty confident we'll get at least average QB play this year, and that's all we "need" to make the playoffs.

The 2008 Pats*

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Ah but here is the rub

IF it is like last year with Orton.....is Orton that bad if we can actually run the ball?

There are some things that are getting left out of these QB conversations......Does Orton start going into a shell like he did if he is being given a legit chance to work of play action because our running game is dependable.....if our O line is halfway stout does Orton start going to that crab like defense and start giving up on plays?

If the answer is

Yes......the running game will be improved

Yes....the offense line will actually be able to pick up a stunt

Then maybe a game manager is all you need?

Ah but here is the rub

IF it is like last year with Orton.....is Orton that bad if we can actually run the ball?

There are some things that are getting left out of these QB conversations......Does Orton start going into a shell like he did if he is being given a legit chance to work of play action because our running game is dependable.....if our O line is halfway stout does Orton start going to that crab like defense and start giving up on plays?

If the answer is

Yes......the running game will be improved

Yes....the offense line will actually be able to pick up a stunt

Then maybe a game manager is all you need?

John, there is a reason guys like Orton and Cassel get passed around the league. You talk about Orton going into a shell. Orton simply played like Orton has his entire career. For the majority of his career, Cassel has performed like a journeyman qb.

if Manuel and Taylor suck, I guess you have no choice. Personally, I like the unknown more than the proven journeyman. The idea of beating the Pats with their former backup kills a bit of my busy for the season. Belichick will be able to gameplan for Cassel in his sleep.

As I said with Orton, if Cassel is the guy, I'd love to be proven wrong and he has a great season. But good NFL starters aren't entering camp for their 4th different team.

John, there is a reason guys like Orton and Cassel get passed around the league. You talk about Orton going into a shell. Orton simply played like Orton has his entire career. For the majority of his career, Cassel has performed like a journeyman qb.

if Manuel and Taylor suck, I guess you have no choice. Personally, I like the unknown more than the proven journeyman. The idea of beating the Pats with their former backup kills a bit of my busy for the season. Belichick will be able to gameplan for Cassel in his sleep.

As I said with Orton, if Cassel is the guy, I'd love to be proven wrong and he has a great season. But good NFL starters aren't entering camp for their 4th different team.

Usually that's true, but there are exceptions. Kurt Warner was on his 4th team when he took the Cards to the SB. Not that I think Cassel is Kurt Warner, but hey, we could get lucky.

Usually that's true, but there are exceptions. Kurt Warner was on his 4th team when he took the Cards to the SB. Not that I think Cassel is Kurt Warner, but hey, we could get lucky.

If we picked up Cassel from Wegmans or Tops, I'd like his chances to be the next Warner better.

I'm pulling for the guy. I'm pulling for all the guys, really. I just really don't have too much faith in the guy. His TD/INT ratio was good, but I think that was more Dwayne Bowe than Cassel. I would honestly have Tuel in there before Cassel.