Nick O'Leary has tools to be a big factor in Bills offense

:o If we had Aaron Rodgers or Big Ben, you and I wouldn't even be having this tortured conversation... As of right now our QB is NOBODY.. And even when it was EJ or Kyle we struggled to move the chains...

You think having Murray and Witten on the field didn't free things up a tad for Dez??? And having Leveon Bell, and Martavis Bryant did nothing to help A. Brown's bottom line?... Yah, right.. 6'4" Martavis Bryant's stats were paltry this year.. 26 catches for 549 yards, and 8TD's -No big deal.. But wait... 16 first downs?.. 6 out his 8 TD's grabbed from INSIDE opposing 20??? But the Steelers didn't like that action at all... In fact they HATED it so much they took the biggest TE in the draft (Jesse James PSU 6'7" 262lbs) to NEGATE the effects a big receiver can have in the red zone..

Sadly, The Baltimore Ravens the fell into the same trap... Not only did they snatch standout TE Maxx Williams from under our nose, they doubled down on the position with Blue Hen stud TE Nick Boyle...

Get a clue!....Big Targets....EVERYBODY IS DOING IT.. -Everybody GOOD, that is...

Compared to O'Leary, Maxx Williams is only a half inch taller and runs the same. Boyle (not sure how you call him a "stud" considering he didn't even dominate FCS) is an inch taller but slower.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching O'Leary for his whole college career. He will struggle at first in the NFL, due to his lack of quickness, but he's very smart and will find a way to succeed in time. At FSU he would disappear for long stretches and then "bang" he makes a game winning catch and run. He's a real football player and I'm glad he is on the Bills.

This

Boyle (not sure how you call him a "stud" considering he didn't even dominate FCS) is an inch taller but slower.

Way slower (5.04 vs. O'Leary's 4.93 with a bad hammy--more likely a 4.7 when healthy). Nick also lifted more than either Doyle or Williams...

And as far as the Bills needs for a complementary TE/HB, which of the following guys do you think fits the bill best?

Bachelor #1:

Uses good technique as a run blocker and will win against players his size. Slides feet and keeps rusher squared in pass protection.

Bachelor #2:

Won't generate push as an in-line blocker and has limited feel and instincts as a move blocker.

Bachelor #3:

Positional blocker -- doesn't consistently wall off against lesser competition. Tape shows questionable desire and competitiveness when asked to run block.

Edited by Lurker

Compared to O'Leary, Maxx Williams is only a half inch taller and runs the same. Boyle (not sure how you call him a "stud" considering he didn't even dominate FCS) is an inch taller but slower.

"Not sure"? -Of course you aren't sure, because you didn't see the Senior Bowl... Let me say this since you obviously don't know... Nick Boyle can block...Really, really, well... He's got soft hands too, but speed isn't his game... Sticking people is his game... My fear is that he'll get even better at it by the next time we play the Ravens.. Very smart pickup by Baltimore..

I can also tell you never saw Maxx Williams in a game either... Talk about athletic! I don't give a damn what some stopwatch at the skivvy-bowl says, -Maxx Williams' instincts, and game-time speed are a rare find in a TE... As I've said before, I like O'leary a whole lot... The kid is a Natural born winner... He's just not enough of an offensive threat to turn the tide IMO.

"Not sure"? -Of course you aren't sure, because you didn't see the Senior Bowl... Let me say this since you obviously don't know... Nick Boyle can block...Really, really, well... He's got soft hands too, but speed isn't his game... Sticking people is his game... My fear is that he'll get even better at it by the next time we play the Ravens.. Very smart pickup by Baltimore..

I can also tell you never saw Maxx Williams in a game either... Talk about athletic! I don't give a damn what some stopwatch at the skivvy-bowl says, -Maxx Williams' instincts, and game-time speed are a rare find in a TE... As I've said before, I like O'leary a whole lot... The kid is a Natural born winner... He's just not enough of an offensive threat to turn the tide IMO.

Boyle may turn out to be a blocking stud, but that's about it. So the Ravens didn't "double down" at the position unless/until Boyle proves it, his catch-and-hurdle at the Senior Bowl notwithstanding.

As for Williams, he should be a fine player. But again, he's barely taller than O'Leary, which is where you were going with this whole thing. And as for athleticism, I don't see a huge difference between the two on tape. But as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

To turn the tide of WHAT

He isnt even the starting TE for this team come game one........he is the 2nd TE in a 2 TE set.

Look....im not slamming you.....but to me this arguement is just confusing....we just gave a huge contract to a top 100 NFL player to play TE for us.....and we took what looks like a really good gamble on a TE late in the draft (which you like)

To me this really is not a lose situation.

http://nysportsbiz.com/2015/05/23/rookie-te-nick-oleary-has-the-skills-to-excel-in-bills-offense/

After falling to the sixth round of the 2015 NFL draft, Nick O'Leary will certaintly be heading into this season with a chip on his shoulder. That's good news for the Buffalo Bills, who can absolutely use another hard-nosed player on offense with the ability to produce.

another scott chandler.. which is fine. big slow, good blocker, catches everything that gets to him (not very much in most cases) . If those qualities are such impact qualities, why did we cut chandler and break the bank for clay?

In a word, no.

Sammy is very good, of course, and Charles Clay has proved effective at times, but no... it's not enough to uproot the cheating juggernaut that's had a choke-hold on the division for 15 years... We need at least ONE very big guy to help our sorry QB's in the red zone... No hesitaton, just toss it up, and let the big guy go get it...It'd be nice if someone like Chris Manhertz 6'5" 260-ish developed, but that's a very long shot, IMO... We need that blunt force weapon... That Ace of spades... You can't be a "bully' in this league without the physical prowess. -Size matters.

wasn't Scott chandler like 6'6" or something close?

another scott chandler.. which is fine. big slow, good blocker, catches everything that gets to him (not very much in most cases) . If those qualities are such impact qualities, why did we cut chandler and break the bank for clay?

I don't see them as similar at all. O'Leary is a TE/HB who can line up at multiple positions and Chandler is a one-dimensional TE with limited blocking skills...

Even of he is, which I think a lot of people might contest, you can argue that he makes the 2nd of the 2 TE sets Roman likes to run.

chandler is not the same type of TE. He is not a good run blocker. He's a pass catcher. A slow one. Who isn't a red zone threat and plays smaller than his size. Chandler is a nice guy and I hope he has a nice career. He's not a difference maker on offense. He's a complementary pass catching TE who doesn't fit this scheme. Edited by YoloinOhio

Everybody...GOOD.

So, if I look at all the playoff teams last year, each one had a big target in their offense that did nothing but catch jump balls in the endzone?

So, if I look at all the playoff teams last year, each one had a big target in their offense that did nothing but catch jump balls in the endzone?

His rebuttal, when I pointed out that Dez Bryant lead his team in red zone TDs, was because Jason Witten and DeMarco Muray were on the field. Randell Cobb led the NFL. Oh but they have great QB's. So the good one's are throwing to shorter receivers.

His rebuttal, when I pointed out that Dez Bryant lead his team in red zone TDs, was because Jason Witten and DeMarco Muray were on the field. Randell Cobb led the NFL. Oh but they have great QB's. So the good one's are throwing to shorter receivers.

Must be why Marrone buried Big Mike on the bench. We had a great QB throwing the ball.

chandler is not the same type of TE. He is not a good run blocker. He's a pass catcher. A slow one. Who isn't a red zone threat and plays smaller than his size. Chandler is a nice guy and I hope he has a nice career. He's not a difference maker on offense. He's a complementary pass catching TE who doesn't fit this scheme.

To be perfectly honest.......

If O"Leary turns out to be a younger version of Scott Chandler.......would anyone REALLY be that upset?

We didnt give that huge brinks truck backup to Clay so that he could be here for a couple of years.........We expect Clay to be the number 1 go to tight end for the forseeable future......

I personally dont think O'Leary is Scott Chandler.....the kid is tough and old school. I think he is one of those guys that will make a clutch catch for you....and not fall down from the first hit. I think that his blocking will get BETTER as he continues to work on that aspect of his game.

And......for a 6th round pick.....it was also a pretty good value pick! Who were we gonna pick in the 6th round that has a better chance of being a contributed then the TE who won the Mackey Award?

chandler is not the same type of TE. He is not a good run blocker. He's a pass catcher. A slow one. Who isn't a red zone threat and plays smaller than his size. Chandler is a nice guy and I hope he has a nice career. He's not a difference maker on offense. He's a complementary pass catching TE who doesn't fit this scheme.

sounds good. we shall see.