No QB competition in Jersey: Geno is the starter

Both. Is there somebody who thinks EJ's got no shot, but Geno does? I've never seen them. Now if we're talking Geno has no shot, but EJ does, that's like half this topic.

um... Is there somebody who thinks EJ has no shot? Only those surmising he will and/or should be cut or traded after 14 games. But Geno does? Well, he is the "unquestioned" starter after two seasons of bottom of the league qb play.

The Dolphins weren't running for the bus at all. They led 24-14 at the half and genuinely wanted to finish over .500 (9-7). Smith happened to play extremely well in the second half of that game.

That nails it, I think. He definitely looks more natural. We'll see if the dedication increases this year.

fish fans say otherwise... I think that was the mike Wallace quit game

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

um... Is there somebody who thinks EJ has no shot? Only those surmising he will and/or should be cut or traded after 14 games. But Geno does? Well, he is the "unquestioned" starter after two seasons of bottom of the league qb play.

fish fans say otherwise... I think that was the mike Wallace quit gameW

Wallace certainly ran for the exits. One can't say the same about the Miami D though.

Geno's QB rating in the final four games of last season: 106.5. I've said it before - he has a good skill set and real potential. He's fluid and throws a very nice ball. He just has to learn to eliminate the mistakes. Whether he can do that is anyone's guess, but he definitely made progress toward the end of last season.

The thing is, he did make fewer bad decisions down the stretch last year. Granted, it was just a four-game span, but one has to start somewhere.

I won't take anything away from his play that's for sure. He did improve in those last 4 games. He still went 2-2 in those last 4 games the same as EJ, but only the SD and Houston game matter(to some) because those were his worst outings last season. And they were awful, but so was the offensive line and allowing him to get hit something like 10-15 times in each of those games.

Geno looks more natural playing the position, I think the knock on him is that he doesn't want to put the work in. If he had the work ethic and dedication of EJ, he'd been the No. 1 pick

I can't disagree about the work ethic but like I said, EJ looks natural running the 2 minute drill when the bullets are flying and he's just going by feel(instinct) and not worrying about what the coaches want, IMO.

Edited by The Wiz

Well that depends on Leroi.

I would include you and maybe a few others but at least you offer counter points instead of just saying "he's got no shot".

Everyone else is better because they aren't on the bills. I recall a very long metzelaars thread not to long ago for this reason.

I think both have a shot.

fish fans say otherwise... I think that was the mike Wallace quit game

I mean, there might be one fringe guy there.

I think its just politics. But it might have some wisdom behind it. Gailey is no fool. anyone who might think that is just flat wrong.

So why would he make such definitive statement so early ? he has a reason of course.

what do you folks think of that? I have my opinion. but lets toss the idea around Gailey knows perfectly well what he is saying. because actually he does.

Jets also have a similar QB situation as ours but just taking a different " public" stance.

Edited by 3rdand12

I think its just politics. But it might have some wisdom behind it. Gailey is no fool. anyone who might think that is just flat wrong.

So why would he make such definitive statement so early ? he has a reason of course.

what do you folks think of that? I have my opinion. but lets toss the idea around Gailey knows perfectly well what he is saying. because actually he does.

Jets also have a similar QB situation as ours but just taking a different " public" stance.f

Declaring someone the starter when he hasn't earned it on the field will not create stability and confidence in the offense. It wall also not call off the NYC media. Gailey did the same thing in Buffalo when he handed the job to Trent Edwards right after he got here even though Fitz had taken over as the starter late the year before. We all remember how that worked out.

Jets also have a similar QB situation as ours but just taking a different " public" stance.

Fitz = Meh

Geno = EJ

Petty = Taylor

I get what you're saying but I like our farm better. Fitz and Meh may be a wash though.

Fitz = Meh

Geno = EJ

Petty = Taylor

I get what you're saying but I like our farm better. Fitz and Meh may be a wash though.

I was thinking Bills might take Petty. Good project. wish we grabbed him honestly. Taylor is the unknown.

Cassel over Fitz

Geno should be the starter and his team to lose. Gailey might get him more efficient. got Fitz while bringing up Bryce.

perfect really. Roman might have EJ more efficient. wash.

History.

QB Trent Edwards opens Bills camp as starter Updated: July 29, 2010, 8:15 PM ET Associated Press http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=5420759

I don't know if it's true, but prior to the draft Nawrocki claimed that Smith couldn't "handle hard coaching". Gailey knows what Fitz can do and can't do, as well or better than anyone. He also knows that Fitz brings out his best when it's for-real and his competitive fires get lit. Sounds to me as though Chan wants to give Smith an injection of confidence, as well as the maximum chance to see what he can do. It won't stop him a second from pulling the plug on Smith if he doesn't deliver on Sunday during the regular season.
It's worth noting that what Chan Gailey actually said was ""Right now, Geno is the starter, That's the way it sits. And that's the way we expect it to be." Students of Gailey's past coaching behavior might note the words "right now" and "expect".

Thanks for specifying the context Hopeful.

That style of language is something we should be familiar enough with i bet !
If we think alike , Bills might prefer to start EJ or heck Tyrod ( hello slim minority of fanatics).

Cassel being at the ready.

Chan is so old school and honest, of course he wants to pump the kid up. Fitz and he are friends. a nod and a wink is enough for them.

Thats why , as you have pointed out i think. There might be an upside to making the bolded statement about Geno. I dont see a downside. and that ace in his pocket> maybe Petty comes along much quicker than predicted.

Took a quick visit over to Ganggreen...

Looks like Firechan has a protege!

Fire Chan Gailey. Fact is his hire did not make me feel good when it happened. Siting on the couch for two years. I think his brain's gone soft.

Fire Chan Gailey.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/per-chan-gailey-barring-injury-geno-is-week-1-starter.84240/page-4

He did it because he thinks Gino needs the reps, Fitz will be still recovering from injury and rookie is too raw.

This allows Gino to get more confident, Fitz to play the trusted adviser and both of the junior QBs learn from Fitz.

I do not think Gailey will have as good results with Jests offense as Buffalo (as much as he had) because OL coach is not as good and should have gotten a lot of the credit and the Jests do not have as good as back to pick up blitzes as Gailey had when in Buffalo.

Well that depends on Leroi.

I would include you and maybe a few others but at least you offer counter points instead of just saying "he's got no shot".

Everyone else is better because they aren't on the bills. I recall a very long metzelaars thread not to long ago for this reason.

I just ask that people be consistent. There are many people on this board who are extremely defensive of EJ Manuel but make snide, mocking remarks about Geno Smith. That is simply ridiculous. Quite honestly, I don't think it's happening for either of them but I can also understand the viewpoint that, look, give them each a few years. I'm OK with that. But no one is going to tell me that Manuel has looked more promising than Smith. He hasn't. Smith has looked worse but he has also looked far better. This is because he has let it fly far more than Manuel. Is that Marrone's fault? I guess we'll see. But I'm inclined to think he's still going to suck. I have a right to make that prediction. It doesn't mean I want it to happen.

So please don't suggest that I'm anti-Bills players. I am and have always been a Bills apologist and optimist- every single one of my friends would tell you that. I have been outspoken on this website about how good I think their offensive line has been in years past (prior to last year) and just last week about how good I think their receiving core (corps?) is. I just don't think EJ Manuel is going to get much better. That is all.

But back to the topic at hand, handing the job to Smith in May is one of the dumber things I've ever heard and I'm surprised Gailey had a hand in that. But what does it really even mean? If Petty comes in and blows everyone's socks off ala Russell Wilson three years ago, are the Jets really gonna be like, "nope sorry, Geno is our starter, we said it back in May?" Of course not. All I think this means is that it's his job to lose. For now.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Given Gailey's special gift for identifying starting QBs, expect Geno to be released after week 2.

In his defense, it's not like he had a good qb here and couldn't "identify" him. Does he get credit for "identifying" troy aikman as his starter in Dallas? Edited by metzelaars_lives