No QB competition in Jersey: Geno is the starter

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has he had three years yet? I don't see what's so funny.

I know where you're going with this and of course I agree with you but I think the distinction here is that they blindly named him the starter without a competition. I don't really understand the purpose of this whatsoever. What if either Fitzpatrick or Petty clearly outplays him all offseason/preseason? But yes, to your point, if I'm a Jets fan and the Bills blindly named Manuel the starter over Cassel and Taylor, they would have every bit the right to say, "there is a God" too and that's where a lot of people on here would take offense. Actually now that I think of it, the situations are remarkably similar- with Taylor being our Petty. I am really glad the Bills are having an open competition.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I don't think Geno has ever had a competition there. In fact, that was a knock on Rex. They brought in Vick last year and reportedly it was a "fake competition" as vick didnt even care.

Guess this shoots down Polian's theory that Bryce Petty was worthy of competing for a starting role this season.

Geno has had some great games, so the potential is there, he just needs to cut down on stupid decisions. Whether that will happen or not, who knows. It'll be interesting to see him work under Chan, at the very least. I don't know why everyone expects every QB to be great so early in their careers... he's young, who knows what the future holds.

I know where you're going with this and of course I agree with you but I think the distinction here is that they blindly named him the starter without a competition. I don't really understand the purpose of this whatsoever. What if either Fitzpatrick or Petty clearly outplays him all offseason/preseason? But yes, to your point, if I'm a Jets fan and the Bills blindly named Manuel the starter over Cassel and Taylor, they would have every bit the right to say, "there is a God" too and that's where a lot of people on here would take offense. Actually now that I think of it, the situations are remarkably similar- with Taylor being our Petty. I am really glad the Bills are having an open competition.

There was competition, but Sanchez got hurt in preseason. Familiar, huh?

Geno has had some great games, so the potential is there, he just needs to cut down on stupid decisions. Whether that will happen or not, who knows. It'll be interesting to see him work under Chan, at the very least. I don't know why everyone expects every QB to be great so early in their careers... he's young, who knows what the future holds.

At least you're consistent. And I don't necessarily disagree with you.

Geno Smith has had 30 starts. In only 8 of his starts did he break the 50 mark in the tQBR rating. EJ did it in 8 of his 14 starts. Geno did have some great games (4) in his 30 starts but I'd think the the guy that's hit 50+ in 57% of his games has shown more than the one @ 27%.

No my entire post was in regards to Geno Smith apparently being named the Jets starter for this upcoming season. That's what we're talking about, right?

I guess, I misread it as referring to him being named starter three years ago.

Geno Smith has had 30 starts. In only 8 of his starts did he break the 50 mark in the tQBR rating. EJ did it in 8 of his 14 starts. Geno did have some great games (4) in his 30 starts but I'd think the the guy that's hit 50+ in 57% of his games has shown more than the one @ 27%.

weren't 2 of his "great" games the last game of the year against teams running for the bus?

weren't 2 of his "great" games the last game of the year against teams running for the bus?

I will look into that. I do know one was heavily dependent on Justin Rogers being the starting corner for the Bills.

When looking at the composite stats for any QB, look out for the ones that are mostly poor outings skewed by a smattering of outstanding ones vs. those that have a majority of good games that are heavily influenced by a few bad ones.

Btw, last year Kyle Orton had only 4 of his 12 starts with a tQBR at 50+, 2 of those vs. the Jets.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER