The return of an Empire Sports type network?

One can ONLY hope..

Interesting that it comes on the heels of a Bills winning record after a decade. Sabres are record-breakingly bad, so I think I can see why media markets were shying away for so long.

Build a winner and they will come.

What's the point? For specialty shows?

Outside revenue, obviously. Regional Sports Networks are huge cash cows these days for sports owners. Even with the fact we're talking about the Buffalo media market, I had no idea the Sabres were pulling 10-15 M a year in rights and advertising fees. I imagine Kim seems to think they can make even more after dumping a whole bunch of money in startup network costs. Big risk, but hey it's their money.

Deadspin also posted this interesting article recently regarding NBA owners and RSNs. Basically, in order to circumvent shared Basketball Related Income (BRI) owners are employing all these different accounting tricks and getting away with it because the CBA didn't account for it. Obviously football is treated quite differently (with the national TV contracts and all) but I have a feeling hockey might line up quite similar CBA wise to basketball. Complete speculation, but I think this may be influencing the Pegula's decision on a sports network.

http://deadspin.com/the-nbas-next-labor-war-is-here-1703832294

Edited by TheLynchTrain

What's the point? For specialty shows?

The point would be to make the Pegulas richer than they are, or to help them circumnavigate cap related complications.

I don't live in WNY anymore, so as long as this has no impact on my access to Bills and Sabres coverage (radio, commentary, talk shows, and televised games) I'm good.

It's all about controlling the propaganda

Listening to John Murphy, one of the region's most credible journalists, turn into a corporate shill has been sad

I think shill is too strong a word, but it's no secret he works for the Bills, as does Chris Brown.

But it's also funny how much people loved Empire but forget they were essentially owned by the Sabres. So everyone there from Art Wander to Mike Schopp were shills too.

Personally it's been a dream of mine to launch a competing sports station to WGR. One of these days my Powerball numbers will click. The Pegulas could build an amazing station with their resources. Or they could just buy WGR (and an FM) outright. If you were Entercom and had the choice of competing with a billionaire or selling out for a tidy profit, which would you do?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think shill is too strong a word, but it's no secret he works for the Bills, as does Chris Brown.

But it's also funny how much people loved Empire but forget they were essentially owned by the Sabres. So everyone there from Art Wander to Mike Schopp were shills too.

Remember when the Sabres players would get mad at the Hockey Hotline guys criticizing their play? Good times.

It's all about controlling the propaganda

Listening to John Murphy, one of the region's most credible journalists, turn into a corporate shill has been sad

That's what I'm afraid of. I don't really see an upside to this thing. State controlled media. And, we're not going to get any extra games or anything - we have them all anyway...........At least with Empire, I was able to get a lot more of my Bonnies games, since Rigas was a big fan. But, now almost every Bonnies game is on national or regional TV anyway. More than even during the Empire days.

This would be wonderful - lotta sports programming offered at the college level from Syracuse to the Big 4 for various sports !! And our pro sports of Bills and Sabres are ready to take off !!

More competition with not only these games but coaches shows etccc are all a plus

And WGR crap gets minimized !!

Great way to market your teams regionally and build your fan base. Love to see it on DirectTV for all the out of towners.

Bring back the whole gang !

Stayin :thumbsup:

I grew up a die-hard Bills fan in California- raised during the glory years- with no ties to Western New York. Empire sports- via DirectTV- in the mid to late 90's was my lifeline to the Bills before the Internet age. The network was a primary driver in me keeping my Bills fandom thriving during my youth. It was a glorious. I have such fond memories of hotstove, fan tv and pros and cons.

This is what popped in my head after the Pegula's bought the team. It only makes sense to have a sports network that encompasses both the Sabres and Bills and they would also want to cover the Bandits and Amerks too I'm sure. Add some Bisons and UB/Canisius/Niagara maybe Bonas athletics and high school and that's a pretty good lineup of sports. I'd watch every day