Rex press conference 5/13

i read somewhere that Powell is considered a good scheme fit for Rex. Can't remember where but hope he adds some solid LB depth since we (thankfully) cut Keith Rivers

I would think he'll be a backup ILB and a candidate to take some snaps as a box safety in sub-packages.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with others that Rex wasn't taking a shot at Hogan; he just doesn't want to state the obvious. He's gushing so much over Goodwin that I think the final WR roster spot is between Lewis and Hogan -- if Lewis doesn't completely make an ass of himself out there he'll make the team because of the versatility (size) he brings. Hogan is just a "guy" and when you've got Watkins/Woods/Harvin/Clay on the field you don't need a "guy."

I agree with others that Rex wasn't taking a shot at Hogan; he just doesn't want to state the obvious. He's gushing so much over Goodwin that I think the final WR roster spot is between Lewis and Hogan -- if Lewis doesn't completely make an ass of himself out there he'll make the team because of the versatility (size) he brings. Hogan is just a "guy" and when you've got Watkins/Woods/Harvin/Clay on the field you don't need a "guy."

i agree on Dez. He has something that the other guys don't - height

I really hope this Rex Ryan experiment works. We have a 2-3 year window to put something together...

I don't agree with that. Good organizations can maintain playoff/SB caliber teams consistently (some cheat to do this). Steelers are a good model, and obviously Whaley has been heavily influenced by them.

I don't agree with that. Good organizations can maintain playoff/SB caliber teams consistently (some cheat to do this). Steelers are a good model, and obviously Whaley has been heavily influenced by them.

Without a franchise QB, that becomes almost impossible.

I love having a coach that is honest about the players to us, the media and with them instead of Marrone who played head games with everyone to either try to push them (which is silly IMO) or just to mess with them out of spite.

YEP

Unless EJ or Tyrod step forward as an actual franchise QB or until we get one through draft/trade/FA we are trying to catch lightning in a bottle. You can buy the biggest bottle possible and read every bit of weather information available, but sometimes you'll hit and sometimes you won't. We've certainly raised both our ceiling and our floor from a few years ago, but without a real QB some year's we'll go 10-6 and others we'll go 6-10.

Agreed

Well, we are working on that. Stop being so pessimistic. We have assembled one of the best rosters in the NFL. I am confident they will find a QB when the opportunity presents itself.

I watched the presser. Did anyone else get the idea that Rex wanted to say, "Hey how bout talking about the Bills....Patriots are cheaters! We all know that and who cares!"

He was certainly more than diplomatic and it must have been killing him. :lol:

Rex's loyalty to mediocre talent could hurt this team. I hope i wrong.

who has he been loyal to so far other than signing a depth FB to the roster of 90 he knows can play in place of a depth FB that he doesn't know can play? Are there other examples...

Btw depth players are often "mediocre." If he was really that loyal to mediocre players he would have brought Conner in to start instead of making Felton the highest paid FB in the league.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I was coming unglued just listening to the questions. I wanted to hear how the practices were going not how he felt about the Cheatriots.

Other executives, coaches, and players around the league will unfortunately hear a similar line of questionioning for the foreseeable future until the issue is finally settled.