Bills vets on the bubble

How many Bills cuts end up on NFL rosters this year? I am going to say 7 (RB (Brown), FB (Conner), CB (Brooks or Cockerill), WR (Hogan, Lewis or Goodwin), OL (Chris Williams or Cyril Richardson), S (Meeks or Rambo), and one of the rookies that we cut (LB from Stanford)).

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would anyone be surprised if Dixon didn't make the squad? I like him, but I wonder what Roman thought of him during their time together in San Francisco.

As for Hogan Vs Goodwin, I like Goodwins' upside better...but Hogan has slowly, but surely become a solid contributor. It seemed to me, last season, Marrone and/or Hackett was bent on giving him every opportunity they could to make an impact, and by and large, if he didn't impress, he didn't disappoint either.

Personally I like Goodwin. There are a lot of speed demons in the NFL, but not all of them can catch. I think MG has shown to have really good hands to go with his speed...he just needs more opportunity, and, of course, needs to stay healthy.

I strongly prefer Goodwin!!

I also don't believe Dixon would be cut for ST and versatility alone.

It would be criminally stupid to cut your 1st round pick QB after 14 starts, without any better options. And even stupider to cut one of the top two corners on your roster.

Add to the stupidity of cutting EJ the fact that it would bump his cap number by over $3M.

As to McKelvin, I could see it if there were a glut of young guys like Brooks and Cockrell that performed incredibly well in TC.

More likely, I could see McKelvin getting traded at some point to a CB-starved team like Baltimore of Philadelphia.

I think Woods is going to have trouble getting his catches so I doubt the forth receiver is getting more than 10- 20 receptions - Goodwin can take the top off in 3-4 receiver sets- Easely is a great special teams player - that doesn't seem to leave a lot of room for Hogan if there is one thing the Bills could use it is a 6,4 - 6,5 big vert, long armed great red zone target and Hogan isn't that.

Id rather have Goodwin over Hogan. Even if Goodwin is a one-trick pony, that's still better than Hogan being a no-trick pony.

Send Goodwin deep to take the top off the defense, then get the ball into the hands of McCoy/Watkins/Harvin/etc and let them do their thing.

Hogan would contribute more on ST coverage, but we've already picked up guys who could fill in that role.

I don't believe Goodwin is a one trick pony! He runs great routes and has soft hands!! AND, blazing speed. Remember the Jets came two years ago. He can play all over the field and is not just a deep threat.

Do you know where the Bills ranked in slot receiving yards last year (where Hogan played)?

Answer: 31st....I think that the point was that you could find pretty much any NFL caliber player that could produce the same if given the same opportunity. Would Dez Lewis or Caleb Holley be a significant drop off?

GREAT point!

Goodwin wasnt injured most of last year. He just ended up on the same Marrone list as Mike Williams, Kraig Urbik, and others.

Agreed!

I think Woods is going to have trouble getting his catches so I doubt the forth receiver is getting more than 10- 20 receptions - Goodwin can take the top off in 3-4 receiver sets- Easely is a great special teams player - that doesn't seem to leave a lot of room for Hogan if there is one thing the Bills could use it is a 6,4 - 6,5 big vert, long armed great red zone target and Hogan isn't that.

I'm thinking Hogan is less useful in this offense because the TE will play a bigger role. I think Clay eats up all the work Hogan did last year.

In the end, I will be surprised if we go with 6 wrs because I'm assuming we may have and extra rb/fb/te or even db instead. So I think Goodwin makes it, Hogan is out and hopefully Lewis is on the PS for backup if/when Goodwin gets hurt. Easley may have to perform reasonably well at wr in this scenario or we may try to trade him and instead keep either Hogan or Lewis.

I think Hogan & Easley are both gone. We went heavy on ST's in the draft -with players who could blossom elsewhere. Carpenter/Gay diminish the need to cover KO's/ missed FG's. Easley is a 6 yr WR Project. Times up. Hogan's very best is mediocre. Yes, Metz, I guess that makes me racist..

I think Hogan & Easley are both gone. We went heavy on ST's in the draft -with players who could blossom elsewhere. Carpenter/Gay diminish the need to cover KO's/ missed FG's. Easley is a 6 yr WR Project. Times up. Hogan's very best is mediocre. Yes, Metz, I guess that makes me racist..

Easley is a long shot to be cut. They just reinvested in him with a four year deal.

Hilarious, but Hogan would be a Patriot 5 minutes after the Bills cut him.

I'm sold. Make the move

Easley is a long shot to be cut. They just reinvested in him with a four year deal.

More important than length is the signing bonus and guaranteed dollars.

He got a 1.7m signing bonus and 2.2m guaranteed. He gets 2.5m this season. Probably ain't going to be released.

Yup. It would be really strange. You'd need a few guys to look GREAT, or him to be a mess and 300lbs when he shows up to camp

I think that is the most interesting battle to watch in terms of securing a roster spot (along with CB). Will the Bills keep the guy that is solid and does everything okay (Hogan) or the 2 guys that are limited but offer a unique skill set (Goodwin and Lewis)? It depends 100% on their philosophy. Either way, all of those guys will end up on NFL rosters this year (same goes for the corners).

With Ryan's 'get me good football players' philosophy, I think he might go with hogan. On the other hand if Goodwin makes him feel comfortable that his rare speed will actually be available then I could see that too. I think the rookie has an equal shot though because he was hand picked under Rex's regime and he has measuables that are unique on the roster. This along with the one guard spot are by far the most interesting position battles to me this year. I feel like that battle could be won by any of those receivers

. Easley is a 6 yr WR Project.

If he were a depth S, LB or FB who never saw the field, would his special teams excellence be valued more?

Easley's the Mark Pike of this generation of Bills...

Imo

If Fred makes the team I won't be happy. He had his chance, zero playoff appearances. Time to move on. And yes, i agree he is a good guy. I would be too if i was paid what he gets paid to be mediocre.

Toodles....

If he were a depth S, LB or FB who never saw the field, would his special teams excellence be valued more?

Easley's the Mark Pike of this generation of Bills...

That is a really, really interesting take. We loved Tasker for his ST play. In fact we are actively campaigning for him to go the HOF. He did have a few moments at WR but was primarily a ST ace. I'm not saying that Easley is on his level but Mark Pike isn't a stretch. Easley is a a Pro Bowl talent as a ST player. He has some value. You may be right if he did what he did on ST and was Jonathan Meeks people would love him more.

I remember folks said hogan wouldn't top Da'ricks 2013 yard total in his entire career...

Yes and some are still bad mouthing Hogan because they were (the W word). They should go back to playing Madden Pro Scout.

There were several games that Goodwin was 100% healthy for and Marrone didn't play him because Goodwin suffered from Marrones Disease.

I know you are obsessed with the imaginary disease but there is no such disease and was NOT the reason why you were not chosen to be the Bills' towel boy.

This all makes me wonder if Doug Whaley would possible trade a player that is on the bubble to say San Fran for a bag of peanuts just to keep said player out of the AFC/ AFC East? Think about it... Let's say Hogan is the odd man out, but just barely. Why wouldn't Doug trade him for a guy straight up that he doesn't really want, and thinks is bad, just so he can cut the new guy and not have to deal with Hogan being in the division? I think it's a good way to purge the team of good players without helping the competition.

Or who could then trade the player to rival and gain a future pick.