Rex: we won't put a "muzzle" on our players

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/05/buffalo_bills_coach_rex_ryan_wont_put_muzzle_on_lesean_mccoy_any_other_player.html

We are not going to be lined up, but I think it is better for our fans just like you guys reporting here - this goes to our fans and I would rather be honest," Ryan added. "We are not going to be 100-percent lined up. Why? Because we do not feel like we have to come out and, 'Here is a blank statement.' Somebody reads it and then he is going to follow it up."

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think he feels like guys perform better when they are able to "be themselves." I think he puts himself in that category.

Agreed... He did survive the gauntlet of NYC media so Buffalo probably feels like pee wee league in comparison.

These are grown men who don't to be babysat. I'm sure they do respect that.

This, however, could be a big issue if things get rocky. I do worry about Rex being to friendly with players. It might not be a bad thing for Rex to tell McCoy to stop worry about the Eagles and focus on being a Bill.

If we are winning, it will be a party and everything will be fine. But with some of the newer guys we have, Rex should lay the law down more. IMO.

Still, he is a million times better than Marrone.

Worked for Richard Sherman

Really, we don't have many guys who the national media would care/write about what they say. Mccoy, Maybe watkins? Anyone else?

I think most media is terrible so I would rather them not talk us. The good journalist will talk about the Bills if they win.

I am not entirely on board with this philosophy. There are many things that are best kept behind closed doors. I am sure players like certain other players (remember how Evans liked Losman) but I do not want those preferences stated in public. Players may dislike their role but it is best expressed and sorted out with the coaches and fellow team members.

There needs to be quite a measure of control on the opinions that are expressed in public versus in private to the coaches.

McCoy's assertions are hamfisted and asinine, and I generally consider myself someone who is pretty socially left leaning. He really should just back away from it, before it becomes a distraction.

It's one comment when prompted by Rodak, tempest, teapot, etc.

McCoy, in no uncertain terms, accused his last head coach of discriminating against black players. That's dumb. That crosses the line of "being honest." One can be honest and still have a filter. It's called being a mature adult.

If "filter" equals "muzzle" then Rex says no

Filter would never equal muzzle.

Filter would equal growing the !@#$ up and not saying stupid **** to the media.

McCoy's assertions are hamfisted and asinine, and I generally consider myself someone who is pretty socially left leaning. He really should just back away from it, before it becomes a distraction.

I agree that they are ridiculous, but as long as McCoy goes out and performs, I could care less. Won't be a distraction for him or the Bills, perhaps for the Eagles.

The Bills did say they were going to discuss the comments with McCoy. My guess is that discussion will involve them telling him to avoid talking to Mike Rodak.

that should be a discussion they hold w/ all the players. !

McCoy, in no uncertain terms, accused his last head coach of discriminating against black players. That's dumb. That crosses the line of "being honest." One can be honest and still have a filter. It's called being a mature adult.

no one ever said you have to be an astute, smart football player. We did have a guy here last year who stated he was a "slave" in NE, and is now thinking of signing with them again.

no one ever said you have to be an astute, smart football player. We did have a guy here last year who stated he was a "slave" in NE, and is now thinking of signing with them again.

I would never expect a lot of NFL players to be smart. But I would expect all of them to be smart enough to know it's not good to publicly accuse someone of racial discrimination.