Why no consideration for Jeff Tuel?

Look guys, I am no fan boy of this player, and I had no knowledge of him. I absolutely couldn't understand why they didn't at least bring in a free agent to replace him, but after watching the tape, the kid has got a good arm. My question is, if he was brought in, why isn't he at least getting a fair shot?

because his arm actually isnt that good and he has a knack for losing.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuel is absolutely horrible. Every chance he's gotten to prove otherwise, he's failed.

This is not true, pure opinion not fact. He's not any worse than EJ. Actually he's more accurate. He could become a solid backup on some team that gives him a chance. He's best suited to a west coast style offense.

In fairness to Tuel he was an undrafted free agent who was thrown in the fire his rookie year and asked to succeed on an offensively challenged team with a rookie OC. Not a formula for success.

With that being said he doesn't have a strong NFL arm and those early career failures sometimes messes with a guys psyche. I'm sure he is more developed now but I think Marrone ruined him by setting him up for failure early.

With a new coaching staff they aren't married to older undrafted free agents who another coach might have been high on . I'm sure Rex knew about Tuel when he was with the Jets and wasn't too impressed.

There are a lot of players that look like Hall of Famers in College or do really well in pre season that never pan out for an NFL team. Once the season starts it's a different animal than college or preseason.

Tuel's next opportunity will probably come a few years down the road when he is actually given a back up QB job and the starter gets hurt. It won't be in Buffalo, that's pretty much a given.

And I'm OK with that, despite what his college highlight tape looks like.

This is not true, pure opinion not fact. He's not any worse than EJ. Actually he's more accurate. He could become a solid backup on some team that gives him a chance. He's best suited to a west coast style offense.

he could become a solid backup in the right scheme and coaching as a compliment to his upside says all you need to know about him, really.

Edited by NoSaint

No.

As in: quite simply, no.

In his only NFL action, he completed a mere 44% of his passes, and threw two brutal INTs (way too many people forget him air-mailing Scott Chandler by 15 yards for an interception in his own territory that also lead to KC points). He was basically able to run the scripted plays without getting the team killed, and even managed to throw a nice TD to Goodwin. As soon as it came time to execute something he hadn't been practicing for a week, he was toast. This despite the fact that he was the benefactor of a 241-yard rushing performance that day.

There is no case whatsoever to say he's more accurate than EJ either.

I just happened to watch a lot of Jeff Tuel highlights from both college and the one game he played in the NFL. Having been scratching my head as to why he was on the roster, I honestly have changed opinion after watching and have completely changed idea now thinking that he is a great player. In the NFL game I see a TON of dropped passes by receivers, and in college I see a lot of impressive passing with a horrible offensive line. I just want to know if there are any insiders in here that can explain why Jeff Tuel isn't getting more consideration for the starting role? He's young with a prototypical QB size and seems to have intelligence. I think he could be franchise quality if given the chance and experience especially with this team and the amount of weapons it offers him. Rex Ryan keeps forgetting to mention him in the QB competition and downplays his talent whenever asked about it. It really makes me wonder.

Because he's not any good...no real mystery here

What are 1-11, 2-10, 4-8, 3-9?

The W-L records at Washington State during Jeff Tuel's tenure. Granted, he only played the majority of snaps during the 2-10 and 3-9 years, so there's that.

Name the last QB to have that sort of college career and have any sort of decent NFL career.

I still don't know why the guy is on the Bills' roster.

I just happened to watch a lot of Jeff Tuel highlights from both college and the one game he played in the NFL. Having been scratching my head as to why he was on the roster, I honestly have changed opinion after watching and have completely changed idea now thinking that he is a great player. In the NFL game I see a TON of dropped passes by receivers, and in college I see a lot of impressive passing with a horrible offensive line. I just want to know if there are any insiders in here that can explain why Jeff Tuel isn't getting more consideration for the starting role? He's young with a prototypical QB size and seems to have intelligence. I think he could be franchise quality if given the chance and experience especially with this team and the amount of weapons it offers him. Rex Ryan keeps forgetting to mention him in the QB competition and downplays his talent whenever asked about it. It really makes me wonder.

As I am sure you know, the stadium wall has to have a player to hate. The current flavor of the offseason is Jeff Tuel.

Nothing you can say, no evidence you can present will change this.

On the bright side, the current hate for Tuel, slows the hate for EJ to become full flung. However, I personally like Tuel, I think he will be a decent backup in the league, but a starter? I will leave it at backup, and will still get flamed for it.

I love Tuel.

And its funny. The FO never talks him up. Likewise, there are never any rumors of him being cut or traded.

I think they see something in him. Maybe possible career backup. Which is really high praise, when you think about it.

Tuel is a gamer, who never thinks the game is too big for him. He is more willing to throw the ball (to give guys a chance to make a play) instead of sitting there waiting for the perfect route to be perfectly open, than any other QB we have. This, methinks, is what makes an NFL qb, even a career backup.

See: Reich, Frank.

Traded?

Edited by HOUSE

I agree. Totally ruined the perception of him.

no, you just like him more than you should and think everyone else is crazy for seeing the guy with like 6 wins since he was 18 that went undrafted isnt that good.