"Knowing OUR luck as Buffalo teams" should end now

I keep seeing this posted on both Bills and Sabres forums. We all know the line, something to the effect of "knowing our luck" or "because it's Buffalo"

These lines, while they had their time, are no longer relevant. Just step back and think about how the Buffalo sports scene has changed recently.

* Pegula buying both teams. He is the type of owner we all dreamed of but never expected.

* The Bills are STAYING. Not "staying" as in "moving only a hour and a half away to Toronto" but actually staying here in WNY where they belong!

* Talk of a new stadium for the Bills, probably downtown.

* The Harbor Center is almost complete, and it is a top-notch world class hockey facility.

* Sabres will draft a young superstar player to go with their stacked prospect pool. They are going to be good, soon.

* Rex Ryan is the Bills coach! The Sabres are going after Mike Babcock, another top tier coach in his respective sport.

* The Bills just acquired McCoy, Clay, and Harvin. Two of the three are already star players in the NFL. Clay could be on the way up.

There are many more things I could list, but I think the point is clear. Buffalo sports are currently the most exciting they have been in a VERY long time, and IMO the most important aspect of all this is that we FINALLY do not have to worry that the Bills will be moving to another city. That alone makes getting invested a lot easier and more fun.

The future here is exciting, the vibes are positive, and suddenly when it comes to the Bills and Sabres ANYTHING seems possible suddenly.

So, this whole "knowing our luck" attitude just doesn't apply anymore. Our luck has been INCREDIBLY GOOD the past few years.

Or we can turn it on its head:

"Knowing our luck" we are going to WIN some championships in the near future! "Because Buffalo!"

Yeah as you said "soon". But how many times has what you said in the original post been repeated here in the past 15 years?

I agree that the Bills are looking better. I cannot say the same about the Sabres yet. They are at least 3 years out if all goes well in my opinion.

When the Bills and Sabres prove themselves to be respectable, your original post will make sense.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Yeah as you said "soon". But how many times has what you said in the original post been repeated here in the past 15 years?

I agree that the Bills are looking better. I cannot say the same about the Sabres yet. They are at least 3 years out if all goes well in my opinion.

When the Bills and Sabres prove themselves to be respectable, your original post will make sense.

Sabres will make the playoffs in two years. Next year would require serendipity.

Three years from Cup contention, probably. Little doubt they will be good.

Too much young talent. Unlike the Oilers, the blue line was not neglected.

Need a goalie to emerge or bring in a competent vet.

Pegula and Whaley aren't part of the last fifteen years.

Plenty of rational reasons to be optimistic.

The gloom crowd lacks imagination.

Invincible pessimism becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Besides, what's the point of waiting till there is a championship to be full of hope?

Isn't the joy of being a fan to endure the tough years and enjoy the times like these,

where one begins to see a glimmer of future glory?

Sabres will make the playoffs in two years. Next year would require serendipity.

Three years from Cup contention, probably. Little doubt they will be good.

Too much young talent. Unlike the Oilers, the blue line was not neglected.

Need a goalie to emerge or bring in a competent vet.

Pegula and Whaley aren't part of the last fifteen years.

Plenty of rational reasons to be optimistic.

The gloom crowd lacks imagination.

Invincible pessimism becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Besides, what's the point of waiting till there is a championship to be full of hope?

Isn't the joy of being a fan to endure the tough years and enjoy the times like these,

where one begins to see a glimmer of future glory?

What's the point of proclaiming awesomeness when the team has not even had one practice?

After the past 15 years of "We got Marrone, the coach everyone wanted!", "We have a franchise QB now in EJ Manuel!", and maybe my favorite "We got Chan Gailey, the coach Jerrah said was his worst mistake firing!" ... playoffs for sure!!!!!!! ... I am definitely in show-me mode, tell-me just doesn't cut it anymore.

In my opinion that isn't pessimism. I'm just not ready to be overly optimistic (some might say drinking the Koolaid) like the OP is, that's all.

Great stuff and so true!! It's time to check that "woe is me" attitude. We are on the move!!

Under the new owner and with a less shackled GM there is a realization that this franchise is more willing to take initiatives that they didn't try before. Whether one agrees with the moves Whaley has taken over the past year and a half there is a less stodgy and staid approach to running the organization that didn't exist before. Now others in the business are taking notice.

http://www.si.com/nfl/video/2015/05/05/buffalo-bills-will-be-most-exciting-team-afc-east

I am not "drinking Koolaid" so much as I am recognizing the REAL and TANGIBLE effects that new ownership is having on these teams.

The Bills are STAYING. That alone is reason for tremendous optimism. The owner plays moneyball with the big boys in both sports. No longer are we playing with nickels and dimes while other teams use dollar bills.

The wins are going to come. When you have top-notch organizations that will spend the money needed to acquire and keep the right people success usually follows.

Suddenly it is realistic to think that the Bills and Sabres can sign anyone they want. No trade, free agent, or coach is off-limits. It seems like fans almost EXPECT Pegula to fire up the jet and woo any and every big name to town.

That alone ought to be evidence enough that it's time to can the "woe is us" attitude.

I keep seeing this posted on both Bills and Sabres forums. We all know the line, something to the effect of "knowing our luck" or "because it's Buffalo"

These lines, while they had their time, are no longer relevant. Just step back and think about how the Buffalo sports scene has changed recently.

* Pegula buying both teams. He is the type of owner we all dreamed of but never expected.

* The Bills are STAYING. Not "staying" as in "moving only a hour and a half away to Toronto" but actually staying here in WNY where they belong!

* The Harbor Center is almost complete, and it is a top-notch world class hockey facility.

* Sabres will draft a young superstar player to go with their stacked prospect pool. They are going to be good, soon.

* Rex Ryan is the Bills coach! The Sabres are going after Mike Babcock, another top tier coach in his respective sport.

* The Bills just acquired McCoy, Clay, and Harvin. Two of the three are already star players in the NFL. Clay could be on the way up.

There are many more things I could list, but I think the point is clear. Buffalo sports are currently the most exciting they have been in a VERY long time, and IMO the most important aspect of all this is that we FINALLY do not have to worry that the Bills will be moving to another city. That alone makes getting invested a lot easier and more fun.

The future here is exciting, the vibes are positive, and suddenly when it comes to the Bills and Sabres ANYTHING seems possible suddenly.

So, this whole "knowing our luck" attitude just doesn't apply anymore. Our luck has been INCREDIBLY GOOD the past few years.

"Knowing our luck" we are going to WIN some championships in the near future! "Because Buffalo!"

:beer:

I am not "drinking Koolaid" so much as I am recognizing the REAL and TANGIBLE effects that new ownership is having on these teams.

The Bills are STAYING. That alone is reason for tremendous optimism. The owner plays moneyball with the big boys in both sports. No longer are we playing with nickels and dimes while other teams use dollar bills.

The wins are going to come. When you have top-notch organizations that will spend the money needed to acquire and keep the right people success usually follows.

Suddenly it is realistic to think that the Bills and Sabres can sign anyone they want. No trade, free agent, or coach is off-limits. It seems like fans almost EXPECT Pegula to fire up the jet and woo any and every big name to town.

That alone ought to be evidence enough that it's time to can the "woe is us" attitude.

I don't see how this is a thing considering there's a salary cap in both sports.

Talk about a post completely confirming exactly what the OP was talking about. This is the "loser-est" attitude ever!

Well said and I second that notion!

Talk about a post completely confirming exactly what the OP was talking about. This is the "loser-est" attitude ever!

It is a loser attitude to want to see some, just a tiny bit, of evidence (as opposed to speculation) before believing that everything is all unicorns and rainbows to you then? OK. Yours is a post that is the "blind homer-est" ever I guess if we are making ridiculous fact-less statements ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

You know, there's a quote by billionaire investor Howard Marks that says (and I'm paraphrasing) "One of the stupidest things you can do is to think there's no risk when your stock is going up, but to think there's no hope is just as stupid."

In other words, there's a reason John Paulson made $8 Billion during the recession. He made money off investors who thought the economy was never going to turn around.

Life moves in cycles, the Jerry Sullivans of the world can think what they want, but we're due for a long run of success. If they want to play the "I'll believe it when I see it" card, then they can miss out on all the fun.

You know, there's a quote by billionaire investor Howard Marks that says (and I'm paraphrasing) "One of the stupidest things you can do is to think there's no risk when your stock is going up, but to think there's no hope is just as stupid."

In other words, there's a reason John Paulson made $8 Billion during the recession. He made money off investors who thought the economy was never going to turn around.

Life moves in cycles, the Jerry Sullivans of the world can think what they want, but we're due for a long run of success. If they want to play the "I'll believe it when I see it" card, then they can miss out on all the fun.

That's fair.

It's nice that the Bills made aggressive moves during the off-season. The best change that has been made has been the fact that for the first time in a while they seem to be going as all out as they can to build a winning team instead of just adding this piece or that piece and hoping it works out. That said, I still think it's a wait and see as to whether or not hiring Rex and trading Kiko for LeSean were good moves. Three years ago we signed Mario and that seemed to be a team-changing move only to watch our defense look as abysmal as usual. So, again, big moves, but I am waiting to see them turn into success, wins, playoff appearances, etc before I'm ready to say that things are turning around.

And the fact that the team is staying in Buffalo when it just as easily could have been bought by someone who was ready to move it is certainly a sign of positive things to come.

It's nice that the Bills made aggressive moves during the off-season. The best change that has been made has been the fact that for the first time in a while they seem to be going as all out as they can to build a winning team instead of just adding this piece or that piece and hoping it works out. That said, I still think it's a wait and see as to whether or not hiring Rex and trading Kiko for LeSean were good moves. Three years ago we signed Mario and that seemed to be a team-changing move only to watch our defense look as abysmal as usual. So, again, big moves, but I am waiting to see them turn into success, wins, playoff appearances, etc before I'm ready to say that things are turning around.

And the fact that the team is staying in Buffalo when it just as easily could have been bought by someone who was ready to move it is certainly a sign of positive things to come.

I think what the OP was pointing out, was not that "this is it", but that there is a common belief held by fans that we are somehow "cursed" or we are "losers for life" or "pathetic creatures like us don't win championships". I'm of course exaggerating, although I'm not totally off either.

He was showing that there have been signs from both teams that things are turning around and that that disgusting stench from the Ralph years is clearing out.

I'm fine with people playing the caution card, but if they are playing it because "well, things just don't go my way so I'm going to lay down over here and expect failure", well that's really annoying. It's also a self-fulfilling prophecy.