Speed Kills Except for the Bills that We Draft

Seems that the Bills braintrust gets overly seduced by speed and let's this obsession cloud their draft decision-making. We can look at former first round pick Leo McKelvin who had and has great speed and may ironically be replaced with the latest speed acquisition, another guy touted as having world class speed but average to below average hands and has a hard time matching up with taller and more physical receivers. Sounds like Leo version 2 to me. Than we have (had) TJ Graham another speedster that the Bills overreached for an passed up Russell Wilson in the process. Where is TJ today? And let us not forget the "forgotten man" Marcus Goodwin, another track star that is essentially a no show getting hurt too frequently to make a difference. Of course another fist round pick, CJ Spiller was fast but that didn't last. So perhaps the Bills brass should slow it down and take a slower but more well rounded football player. Few track stars make it in the NFL maybe every 50 years we have a Bob" the bullet" yes (a personal favorite) and although they say speed can't be coached it also doesn't guarantee it won't turn out to be more than an illusion especially s to actually making plays.

It'd not just about speed with this guy. This guy can cover and not every dB can catch that's why they are db. I expect Donny Henderson to coach this guy up to be a excellent corner

Edited by Protocal69

The current regime had little to do with McKelvin and Graham picks. Though, McKelvin has since turned into a pretty good CB, he was the unquestioned starter until he got hurt and led in INTs the year before.

They also need to consider whether they'll be able to sign Gilmore to a big contract when he becomes a free agent. Given the off season they just had, the need to re-sign Dareus to a monster contract and the expectation that QB will have to become a big contract at some point. We're probably paying less for QBs than near anyone in the league... certainly anyone who's a playoff team. So finding that next CB is a pretty good idea

I was not impressed with his highlight clip, but then again that's the case for a lot of this draft. We'll probably appreciate this pick 3 years from now but would have preferred just about any other position.

The current regime had little to do with McKelvin and Graham picks. Though, McKelvin has since turned into a pretty good CB, he was the unquestioned starter until he got hurt and led in INTs the year before.

They also need to consider whether they'll be able to sign Gilmore to a big contract when he becomes a free agent. Given the off season they just had, the need to re-sign Dareus to a monster contract and the expectation that QB will have to become a big contract at some point. We're probably paying less for QBs than near anyone in the league... certainly anyone who's a playoff team. So finding that next CB is a pretty good idea

Yep. My guess is Gilmore walks after his rookie deal as they'll have so much tied up in Hughes, Dareus, Mario, etc. and hopefully in a QB. Can't pay 'em all.

Somewhere, somehow, in a very faint way, an obscure draft "expert' mentioned Darby in the same sentence with Revis . . . Rex read it in the internet, and the pick was destined. Ugh!

Can we all stop with this. It's not an amazing pick (although, for the record, he was on the 5 or so players I really wanted when we came to the podium), nor is it a sexy pick, but it is a solid #50 pick, and anything but a reach. Darby was a very highly regarded CB throughout the web, not just one "obscure draft 'expert'." CBS Sports had him as the #30 prospect. Walter Football (yeah, i know) listed him as the #5 CB in the draft. Most sites I saw listed him as an early 2nd rounder, with some possibility of going in the late 20s. Fanspeak had him in the 40s.

My co-worker and draft obsessive (he's in multiple college football fantasy leagues) went to FSU and is a fanatic about them (a Fins fan unfortunately), and has hawkishly watched his every game was touting him as someone who would be a steal for the Bills at 50.

Moreover, his opponents knew him as he was the least thrown at cornerback in all of college football. He allowed only 9 receptions and no TDs in 2013. I know the TBD treehouse has a "NO CBs" sign by the door, but with all the talk here about this being a passing league, how exactly do you stop them...with excellent CB play.

Can we all stop with this. It's not an amazing pick (although, for the record, he was on the 5 or so players I really wanted when we came to the podium), nor is it a sexy pick, but it is a solid #50 pick, and anything but a reach. Darby was a very highly regarded CB throughout the web, not just one "obscure draft 'expert'." CBS Sports had him as the #30 prospect. Walter Football (yeah, i know) listed him as the #5 CB in the draft. Most sites I saw listed him as an early 2nd rounder, with some possibility of going in the late 20s. Fanspeak had him in the 40s.

My co-worker and draft obsessive (he's in multiple college football fantasy leagues) went to FSU and is a fanatic about them (a Fins fan unfortunately), and has hawkishly watched his every game was touting him as someone who would be a steal for the Bills at 50.

Moreover, his opponents knew him as he was the least thrown at cornerback in all of college football. He allowed only 9 receptions and no TDs in 2013. I know the TBD treehouse has a "NO CBs" sign by the door, but with all the talk here about this being a passing league, how exactly do you stop them...with excellent CB play.

Good post.

Seems that the Bills braintrust gets overly seduced by speed and let's this obsession cloud their draft decision-making. We can look at former first round pick Leo McKelvin who had and has great speed and may ironically be replaced with the latest speed acquisition, another guy touted as having world class speed but average to below average hands and has a hard time matching up with taller and more physical receivers. Sounds like Leo version 2 to me. Than we have (had) TJ Graham another speedster that the Bills overreached for an passed up Russell Wilson in the process. Where is TJ today? And let us not forget the "forgotten man" Marcus Goodwin, another track star that is essentially a no show getting hurt too frequently to make a difference. Of course another fist round pick, CJ Spiller was fast but that didn't last. So perhaps the Bills brass should slow it down and take a slower but more well rounded football player. Few track stars make it in the NFL maybe every 50 years we have a Bob" the bullet" yes (a personal favorite) and although they say speed can't be coached it also doesn't guarantee it won't turn out to be more than an illusion especially s to actually making plays.

Speed kills....I mean speed doesn't kill people, Bradham does!!

Can we all stop with this. It's not an amazing pick (although, for the record, he was on the 5 or so players I really wanted.....it's a passing league exactly do you stop them...with excellent CB play.

or w pass rush, I'd just as soon let Mario Williams walk in 2 years and use the money for dareus,Gilmore and a qb...we could have drafted a nice pass rusher at 50 instead. Edited by enlightener

Leodis' early problems were with his brain. He has been very good once he learned the position. If Darby is a just little smarter than Loedis, which i don't think is that hard, he will be great.

Once McKelvin got with Pettin and that defensive coaching staff he started to really turn things around. They simplified the game for him and played to his man to man coverage strengths. Good coaching goes a long way towards player development.

or w pass rush, I'd just as soon let Mario Williams walk in 2 years and use the money for dareus,Gilmore and a qb...we could have drafted a nice pass rusher at 50 instead.

Really wanted the kid from Miss. St. Preston Smith. If they had more picks he could have been a trade up and get possibility.