Was the trade for Watkins worth it?

Luxy312

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was as it stands right now, imo. Btw Sammy is still only 21 yrs old. Crazy ceiling.

Yeah, the book hasn't been written, we're through the introduction and maybe chapter 1.

Would it be nice to have a 1st round pick this year? Yup, it sure would.

Would that pick turn into a difference maker? It might.

Am I as frustrated as the next fan by the long playoff drought? Hell yes, but, building a team isn't as easy as cooking a hot pocket. I think they're on the right track, including Watkins, and with a couple breaks the sky is the limit.

I say no. its just not good business to give away what the future might offer. Now in this pick I would like to think Whaley had scouted far enough ahead to see what was up and coming for this year and made an educated decision.

Now on the other hand can Sammy be all that?

Thats a question i cant answer yet.

But i am surely a fan and hope his ceiling will be made known sooner than later. I love the kid actually : )

But no it was not a smart move at that point in time.

allow me to change my mind though when he gets all pro 3 years running if we ever get a qb worth a nickel. Team game.

and you guys are full of koolaid again. usually its me

I say no. its just not good business to give away what the future might offer. Now in this pick I would like to think Whaley had scouted far enough ahead to see what was up and coming for this year and made an educated decision.

But i am surely a fan and hope his ceiling will be made known sooner than later. I love the kid actually : )

allow me to change my mind though when he gets all pro 3 years running if we ever get a qb worth a nickel. Team game.

FWIW, the intial scouting for next year's draft is already complete. Whaley knew what this draft was going to look like prior to making the deal. He probably could have used last year's 2nd instead of this year's 1st if he thought this draft was that good.

It isn't kool aid. Watkins is a great and talented WR and we went up to get him. Odell Beckhams talent has no impact on that, and if anyone would have suspected such talent, we might have traded up for beckham. Either way we trade up for a WR.

You can't have it both ways. You can't allow the Bills to be the only team that saw Beckham as the best WR in the draft, and still draft him at 9. It only works like that in hindsight. That said, the book has not even closed yet, on who will be the best WR in that draft.

FWIW, the intial scouting for next year's draft is already complete. Whaley knew what this draft was going to look like prior to making the deal. He probably could have used last year's 2nd instead of this year's 1st if he thought this draft was that good.

I suspected that was protocol. It would be wise to look ahead long term and grade out potential. its a risk of course but due diligence can reap rewards i suspect.

i suspect Whaley considers Watkins a very very good investment.

I might agree to that.

just not yet : )

but isnt that what you are doing when you draft anyway?

Getting players for the future?

I suspected that was protocol. It would be wise to look ahead long term and grade out potential. its a risk of course but due diligence can reap rewards i suspect.

i suspect Whaley considers Watkins a very very good investment.

I might agree to that.

just not yet : )

Fair enough, the reality is that they must have liked people like CK better than guys at about the 20 range this year. If they would have done better in the 2nd last year (not ready to write off CK but he has a lot to prove) I would have really loved it. Imagine if you had Watkins and your 1st and all that you had to sacrifice was Kouandjio? Edited by Kirby Jackson

It isn't kool aid. Watkins is a great and talented WR and we went up to get him. Odell Beckhams talent has no impact on that, and if anyone would have suspected such talent, we might have traded up for beckham. Either way we trade up for a WR.

You can't have it both ways. You can't allow the Bills to be the only team that saw Beckham as the best WR in the draft, and still draft him at 9. It only works like that in hindsight. That said, the book has not even closed yet, on who will be the best WR in that draft.

Why is he great? he was very good. And i am not comparing him to anyone.

Now keep in mind, i am a fan . but we did not use him to his strengths last year, and he was injured not playing to potential.

you are on the koolaids brother. better to admit it .

That said i look forward to an amazing year from him under some real NFL coaching under Roman !!

but isnt that what you are doing when you draft anyway?

Getting players for the future?

or playing to win now?

It's really quite simple: when you do fix the OL and QB, you want them to have established talent to work with. You may not agree with that, but let's be honest: it won them some games last year.

BillsVet: I think we're in the minority here on this one!!! Wouldn't be the 1st time!

I just don't think you build a contender trading away picks.

Bandit: Well, that's kind of like buying high perf. 160 mph rated Pirelli s before getting the Porsche? :rolleyes:

Fair enough, the reality is that they must have like people like CK better than guys at about the 20 range this year. If they would have done better in the 2nd last year (not ready to write off CK but he has a lot to prove) I would have really loved it. Imagine if you had Watkins and your 1st and all that you had to sacrifice was Kouandjio?

I think i am going to agree. If the O line had panned out better , some of us naysaers { ? ) would not be able to defend a no vote.

I need to mention Marrone at this point. and how he mishandled the Offense.

Sammy et al could have been much more effective with some thoughtful coaching. Thats why i am a wait and see type of fella on the offense as a whole : )

BillsVet: I think we're in the minority here on this one!!! Wouldn't be the 1st time!

I just don't think you build a contender trading away picks.

Bandit: Well, that's kind of like buying high perf. 160 mph rated Pirelli s before getting the Porsche? :rolleyes:

Now we are talking my language> i always upgrade my brakes before I turn up the boost.

Its not easy stopping on a dime from 170. i know.

I think i am going to agree. If the O line had panned out better , some of us naysaers { ? ) would not be able to defend a no vote.

I need to mention Marrone at this point. and how he mishandled the Offense.

Sammy et al could have been much more effective with some thoughtful coaching. Thats why i am a wait and see type of fella on the offense as a whole : )

Now we are talking my language> i always upgrade my brakes before I turn up the boost.

Its not easy stopping on a dime from 170. i know.

Well, Marrone reportedly did walk out on the draft after the Watkins pick. So he wasn't very happy either.

Are the Pirelli's not better than the worn down NTB's that slide all over the road even in dry conditions?

On a Chevy Vega/Ford Maverick??? LOL. I guess, maybe..