Scott Chandler gets weepy over leaving Bills

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While that's true, I rank Chandler over every TE on our roster excluding Clay. Big Sammy better be somebody.

:lol: I still love that nickname for Gray. I wouldn't be shocked to see them add a TE if one drops to 50, but I think people are sleeping a bit on Gragg. He's got wheels, hands, and now two years of experience (grant it, it's Marrone experience...). He's certainly an unknown, but he can stretch the seam in the right system -- no idea about his blocking though. He might be awful in that regard. There's also the basketball-turned-football kid they signed. Clearly he's a reach and a developmental guy, but if he's as athletic as it sounds, he could be a gem.

I enjoyed watching Chandler play for the Bills so I don't want to hate on the guy, but for being as big as he is -- he was a constant disappointment. I'd rather roll with youth at the 2 spot, preferably someone who can move around and block.

Better prepare yourself. He will not make it out of training camp.

This prediction is baseless. He was the best back on the team last year, and his style doesn't rely on being the fastest or most agile guy on the field; that's why he's lasted so long. And btw, he's without a doubt one of the top blocking halfbacks in the league. You don't think Greg Roman appreciates that?

Yeah I don't understand cutting Chandler. He was an average player and would have been a solid #2.

I would much rather have gotten rid of Fred Jackson or Chris Williams and kept Chandler.

It is going to hurt when Fred gets cut in training camp and there is no good #2 TE on the team.

This will not be a popular post but it's a tough one to argue imo.

Chandler doesn't fit Roman's offense very well at all. As a TE you need to be a good downfield athletic guy like Vernon Davis that can exploit coverages, a versatile H Back hybrid like Clay, or a strong blocker. Chandler is none of those. Why you would play Chandler over Harvin or Woods if he is going to be split wide?

Speaking of "tough to argue with," you don't leave much wiggle room here. :)

What I WILL say about Chandler is that the son of a B word got open. There were plenty of time where I was calling his number during a game and he would catch a first down pass. The trouble is that he wasn't as strong as he was big and thus prone to injuries.

I wish him well. Sadly, he might be the best TEs this team has had since Metz.

Chandler made some amazing catches over the years but also so some mistakes that cost the team games. He was never a great player, but solid on our crappy teams. Wish him well.

As for those who can't stand to bear the thought of FJ being cut....like others have said it's coming. He gave the Bills everything he had, he's now done as a player, and will fit in nicely as a coach or team ambassador at home on gamedays.

Hell, he could probably go right into WGR and demand a host job and GET it.

I wish we hadn't cut him. He was good enough to warrant his 2.5 million cap hit.

Agreed. I assumed, at the time, we were going to sign another TE, but it looks like we're going with Clay, Gragg, and some no name late round pick.

Mark my words: Marquise Grey is going to be solid.

Chandler was a reliable target, but he certainly had his weaknesses. His YAC were terrible. A girl scout could tackle that guy. And, IMHO, I don't think he makes the Pats* 53.

Could you elaborate on this?

You're marked!

Chandler is a nice guy. He just isn't a good football player. He is extremely limited and as Kelly has pointed out he doesn't fit in the offense. I wish him well because he is such a good guy. He just isn't the kind of talent that plays an important role on good teams. I have no idea what his future holds as a player but hopefully he is on a roster (other than the Pats).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Chandler is a nice guy. He just isn't a good football player. He is extremely limited and as Kelly has pointed out he doesn't fit in the offense. I wish him well because he is such a good guy. He just isn't the kind of talent that plays an important role on good teams. I have no idea what his future holds as a player but hopefully he is on a roster (other than the Pats).

there was a reporter for the Pats on WGR a few weeks ago. He said Chandler was signed to be a backup pass catching option for Brady. He called him another "binky" for Brady on the field. He noted he wouldn't really be asked to block and would be a 3rd TE for them. He also noted that he was the #1 TE for the Bills for years and only found depth roles as opportunities when he was released.

there was a reporter for the Pats on WGR a few weeks ago. He said Chandler was signed to be a backup pass catching option for Brady. He called him another "binky" for Brady on the field. He noted he wouldn't really be asked to block and would be a 3rd TE for them. He also noted that he was the #1 TE for the Bills for years and only found depth roles as opportunities when he was released.

That sounds about right. He is the kind of guy that you want to see succeed. I was hoping that he would go to some low talent roster like Oakland & get a chance to contribute regularly.

I wish we hadn't cut him. He was good enough to warrant his 2.5 million cap hit.

I didn't understand the cut at the time. The only thing I can think of is the phrase "good is the enemy of great".

I think Roman must not like what he saw on film. Chandler is OK to good but not great IMO. He runs high-50s to low 60s in the catch percentage. He doesn't seem to play up to his size - jump or reach for balls placed where his height should let him compete for them, relatively easy to bring down after the first contact. He's competent chipping, but he's not feared as a blocker because, nothing to fear.

Hopefully they will bring in someone potentially better through the draft

Yeah I don't understand cutting Chandler. He was an average player and would have been a solid #2.

I would much rather have gotten rid of Fred Jackson or Chris Williams and kept Chandler.

It is going to hurt when Fred gets cut in training camp and there is no good #2 TE on the team.

You do realize that this is a totally false dichotomy? The Bills currently have almost $7 million in cap space.

They really had no strong cap driver to cut Chandler when they did, and it's really not a case of "cut Chandler, or cut someone else to free cap space right now". They had to have cut Chandler because he didn't fit in Roman's plans somehow, and the most respectful way to cut a guy is actually early so he has the most chance to catch on with another team.

Fredex may get cut in training camp if he really has nothing left, or he may get injured and IR'd. Or he may show up and demonstrate that he's still productive and able to contribute. He deserves the chance (IMO) to be judged on what he can actually deliver this year and not pre-judged with a chart of average running back productivity per age.

Agreed. I assumed, at the time, we were going to sign another TE, but it looks like we're going with Clay, Gragg, and some no name late round pick.

And Marquies Grey, but why do you say "some no name late round pick"? Or is 2nd and later "late round pick"? Have you seen the Bills draft board, do you know they won't draft a TE in Rd 2 or 3?

Edited by Hopeful

Although I hate to see him go too, his YAC were dismal as a result of his lack of athleticism. You could time with a sundial the time it took him to change direction after a catch and start moving. Big target, average hands but no potential for turning the dump off into a big gain. I do wish him well in every game except against us!

the "no name" late round pick, if that is indeed the route they take - we have no idea in April - could reasonably be a better option than Chandler. A guy like Blake bell or Jeff Heuerman or Nick o'leary already is a better blocker with better hands and more athleticism. All are younger, cheaper, with more upside. Imo. Chandler's cap space allowed the resignings of easley and Wynn. It's good roster management imo.

Chandler doesn't fit Roman's offense very well at all. As a TE you need to be a good downfield athletic guy like Vernon Davis that can exploit coverages, a versatile H Back hybrid like Clay, or a strong blocker. Chandler is none of those. Why you would play Chandler over Harvin or Woods if he is going to be split wide?

Yep yep. And if you need a TE or FB to block but who can catch a dumpoff on a broken play, Clay Felton and Fredex can all p'wn just about anyone. Chandler, not so much.