You've been a Bills fan for too long if...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm.. Debatable Lurker. While my smiley face/winky face -while lame- was tongue in cheek. Then again, Bruce's career was twice as long as Tom's, Tom only faced 7 other teams (fairly certain he was done before the Cincy/Mia additions) vs Bruce's 30/31 teams and a few AFL centers (EJ Holub, John Schmidt and Jim Otto) are HOFers. Very tough to compare over different decades, but Sestak was a defensive terror on every single snap he played.

Not really, IMO. Sestak played against generally smaller O-linemen (250-260 pounds) at a time when pass blocking skills were NOT emphasized.

Bruce would still be All-Pro today, which is how transcendent players typically roll...

...remember your Uncle Joe showing you how good there were in black and white on Sunday afternoons winning those AFL championships even though he was a Giants fan.

Edited by Uncle Joe

Does anyone actually think that Tom Sestak was better than Bruce Smith? While Sestak was a great athlete Bruce is arguably the greatest DE of all-time. He is at least on the short list. He had 200 sacks as a 3-4 DE.

Sestak was a beast. Unfortunately, his knees made him a lame one in short order.

Two more:

You know Golden Wheels is not a bike.

You remember vividly what made Dan Magrew dangerous.

Not really, IMO. Sestak played against generally smaller O-linemen (250-260 pounds) at a time when pass blocking skills were NOT emphasized.

Bruce would still be All-Pro today, which is how transcendent players typically roll...

Does anyone actually think that Tom Sestak was better than Bruce Smith? While Sestak was a great athlete Bruce is arguably the greatest DE of all-time. He is at least on the short list. He had 200 sacks as a 3-4 DE.

i love all the "experts" on here.. a reminiscent thread turns into a pi$$ing contest over the merits of tom sestak v bruce smith.. cant some of you let it go once in a while? no worries, you guys all know your football.. jesus.

Edited by dwight in philly

Awesome list, dead-on recap of the original, early 60s Bills. As to the Sestak/Smith carpers, the title of this thread is "You've been a Bills fan too long if...". Clearly the Smith faction hasn't been fans long enough.

My first Bills game was the last home game of the original Bills. Too little to remember much except that the adults were all well-dressed. And I was at the first practices of the new Bills on Seymour Knox's polo field.

Any old timers remember kegs of beer and hibachis in the aisles at WMS? Drinks at the Grotto bar after the game?

Awesome list, dead-on recap of the original, early 60s Bills. As to the Sestak/Smith carpers, the title of this thread is "You've been a Bills fan too long if...". Clearly the Smith faction hasn't been fans long enough.

My first Bills game was the last home game of the original Bills. Too little to remember much except that the adults were all well-dressed. And I was at the first practices of the new Bills on Seymour Knox's polo field.

Any old timers remember kegs of beer and hibachis in the aisles at WMS? Drinks at the Grotto bar after the game?

i remember a season ticket that a group had for a seat to hold a keg.. you didnt think of it as a big deal at the time(and being 8-10 years old , didnt pay it much mind), but in hindsight, it is unbelievable that it was done.

When I was 2 the Bills were in the Super Bowl. I asked my dad when I was 7 why the Bills weren't in the Super Bowl.

My first memories with my Dad was sitting outside where the Jim Kelly section us now and seeing Ralph Wilson walk by and my dad telling me to go say hello to him and I didn't know why.

Another game it was freezing out and my dad saw his boss inside one of the boxes and his boss offered to let us come sit wit him but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to see the game so his boss offered to buy me anything I wanted. Went inside and looked around for a long time, didn't want a jersey or a foam finger, nope I ordered French fries haha and my dad was made I didn't take advantage of this rare opportunity for free stuff

Been a Bills fan too long if.......you drank a Utica Club beer on the way to the game.

you saw Namath attempt a jump-pass at WMS.

thought that paying more than $!2.00 for a General Admission ticket at WMS.

Had a typo. The 3rd one should read: Thought that paying more than $ 12.00 for Gen. Admission was too much, at War Mem. Stadium.

i think it's between Bruce and Reggie White.

Agree on Watt. Bruce and White had two completely different styles though. Bruce played smaller and faster, like LT, whereas White was larger and played with more power and less speed.

i love all the "experts" on here.. a reminiscent thread turns into a pi$$ing contest over the merits of tom sestak v bruce smith.. cant some of you let it go once in a while? no worries, you guys all know your football.. jesus.

Again, not trying to pee in anyone's cheerios. There is just so much hyperbole on here that it stunts productive conversation. Regardless of what the topic is it is more productive when we are more realistic. Sestak as the greatest DT, sure, as the greatest defensive player, no.

LOL

i think it's between Bruce and Reggie White. I admit I never saw Sestak play. I think JJ Watt, at his current pace and if he plays a long time, is going to end up in the conversation.

Watt will get busted for steroids in the next year or will have the inevitable steroid body breakdown.

You know you are an old Bills fan when:

You paid $6 for a ticket to see a bills game.

You remember the day Butch Byrd was drafted.

You remember Bo Roberson.

You saw Mike Stratton's big hit on Keith Lincoln either live on tv or at the game.

You remember all the articles Larry Felser wrote about Cookie Gilchrist and Jack Kemp.

You remember the day the Bills were crowned the AFL champs :)

You know you are an old Bills fan when:You paid $6 for a ticket to see a bills game.You remember the day Butch Byrd was drafted.You remember Bo Roberson.You saw Mike Stratton's big hit on Keith Lincoln either live on tv or at the game.You remember all the articles Larry Felser wrote about Cookie Gilchrist and Jack Kemp.You remember the day the Bills were crowned the AFL champs :)

'64 was an amazing year! On the heels of that horrific day in Dallas the previous November, the Beatles flipped the world on end in February, followed by the Real Cassius Clay whoopin' the Big Bear later that month. Then an ALI-Liston rematch. Then Kemps 1st full year as QB -with marvelous cameos by Lamonica, which ended the day after Chtistmas with 'the Hit heard 'round the World'! Incredible time to be alive!

Geez, never thought I'd agree with anyone in Philly...

LOL.. but i am a buffalo bred guy.. so all is well!

Again, not trying to pee in anyone's cheerios. There is just so much hyperbole on here that it stunts productive conversation. Regardless of what the topic is it is more productive when we are more realistic. Sestak as the greatest DT, sure, as the greatest defensive player, no.

not the place for it in this instance .. you gotta lighten up sometimes.. dont worry, nobody will question your football expertise ..

not the place for it in this instance .. you gotta lighten up sometimes.. dont worry, nobody will question your football expertise ..

Nothing to do with any of that. This place is just better when we check our emotions. Unfortunately too often (not in this case) people post based on emotion which immediately alienates 1/2 of the people here and attacks get personal. This is a great topic for sure but let's not get carried away. Again, we can love our team without making crazy statements. Edited by Kirby Jackson