Interesting Tidbits from Ross Tucker this morning

plenzmd1

The owners have been destroying the players in negotiations for years. For every little concession that they make (how hard practices are) they make up for it 10 times over. They don't even owe the players the amount of money in their contracts!! That is insane. "We agree to pay you $54 million dollars over 6 years but we promise that you will get $28M of that. We really don't know about the rest of the money that you are being offered in this legal document. That kind of depends."

That is why they have signing bonuses. Many college athletes wash out in NFL but are paid big bucks to do it. Same with free agents. Some go back to previous team, appearing not want to do much for team which paid bonus other than collect bonus. Look at our former DL who was given new contract at end of year, does not going to any team conditioning, is unable to pass conditioning test and is cut because he had no motivation. He gets back in shape during season and is signed by New England. What did he do to earn that bonus? Nothing.

The issue in my opinion is contracts are too game oriented and do not pay for other parts as well - the workout bonuses, showing up in shape, etc are peanuts compared to game checks which is why players hold out and then want to show up just before start of season and expect to get in shape during season.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the thing about NFL players people forget is they are mortal just like everyone else. If you stand beside Wes Walker you'd never know he was a professional athlete. If you stood beside a lot of these guys you'd just think they're another big jock type. Few display the freakish size and figure that shows they are professional (such as Mario Williams).

The hits are force meets force. Its not always going to feel good but ya just learn to take'm.

This is inherently false. Elite athletes are wired both physiologically and psychologically different than everybody else. Sorry but that's the facts. No matter how hard you work and how tough you are, you're never ever going to be an elite athlete. Nosuccessful elite athlete is just "a mere mortal" in either of those two categories, especially the physiological part.

You may not realize it standing next to them, but believe me under the skin they are far superiority to you. Each sport (or in this case position) has different successful measurables and physiology, that may not be intimidating, but they are predisposed to success at different sports or activities.

I know Olympians and world champions, that by your standard, are just average Joe's.

Source: I lived at the Olympic training center for a few years as an athlete.

yes. But not at the skill. I am the size and in the shape of one of these guys. Guess you'll just have to take my word for it. I might would maybe need 3-4 weeks to get my cardio there if anything. But I can turn out a 6 min mile no problem, run a sub 5 40, blablabla.

The skill is the only thing I do not have. The ability to catch the ball like an elite player or the technique down to make a perfect 5 step drop, etc.

Of course I sound like a pompous fool because this is the Internets. But a lot of what it takes to be a professional (in anything) is desire and attitude. My aptitude, my personality, my size are all built for athleticism

sub 5 40 at what height and size? what position do you think you could play? you could be 6'0 205 and run a sub 5 40...did you play college ball?

you MUST be kidding. there were two players between him and the ball when it hit the ground and he wasn't even facing the right direction to see it. he dove for it the instant he saw it.

What? He gave up on his block and the play, and the guy he barely put a hand on is the one who forced the fumble.

If you've ever played football, you'd know how bad of a play that was. You play to the whistle, and you don't let unopposed pass rushers get to your QB from behind.

Edited by FireChan

the thing about NFL players people forget is they are mortal just like everyone else. If you stand beside Wes Walker you'd never know he was a professional athlete. If you stood beside a lot of these guys you'd just think they're another big jock type. Few display the freakish size and figure that shows they are professional (such as Mario Williams).

The hits are force meets force. Its not always going to feel good but ya just learn to take'm.

I played football on the streets and organized from age 8 to high school.

When I was 8-10 years old I would get slammed to the floor, get hit in the air (back in the days these were the most exiting hits; plays now referred to as ATTACK on a defenseless player), by 12-18 year olds. It would sometimes feel like if I was body slammed by the incredible hulk from a 2 story building drop. They never went easy on me since they knew I could take it. Actually in all honesty sometimes I did want them to tone it down. they treated a little 9 year old like a 16 year old boy. But I would get up every single time.

Im almost like the unbreakable guy in that bruce willis movie. I've had 2 big accidents. One a dude almost died. Another one my brother fell asleep on the highway.

Stamina is not a problem for me either. I get up at 7am and usually end my days like at 10pm after work, laundry, cooking. Im mr mom and dad right now. At 10 most people are dead tired. Not me. I could go on longer if I needed to.

I used to be really fast. Not so much. So like jboy, I could play in the nfl too. I used to play rb/wr. Now I would probably be a best fit as a fullback.

the myers Briggs test is somewhat used for this. I took tests in junior high, high school and then my sophomore year in college. The first two were the same. The one in college was similar but not the same. Each was not the same and they were about 100-150 questions which broke down your personality and characteristics. All 3 times it said sports/athletics whatever. It was rare to get

My tests said news anchorman.

Did you read the post above the post above yours?

Oops.

By the way the thread was entertaining with Jboy stating he could play in the nfl and everybody telling him no.

again, II'm not trying to challenge you but I am really curious about the aptitude tests you refer to - are they a specific standardized test? I have never heard of such an aptitude test which proved you have been geared toward athletic events. The only aptitude tests I'm aware of are college entrance exams and IQ tests.

So, if you'll indulge me, I'd love to research the type of testing you mentioned.

He just gave himself away... its Fitz. Everything he said described Fitz

5136683+_0ce2112790eeafaaa01a5f511dd7b1a

So what's your type?

http://www.typefinder.com/view/types

INTJ I have been working on growing myself over the past few years and becoming more and more an E because it is more successful to be able to manage both. I have grown to 49% P from being only 31%.

and mr ball o beer, that was my last reply. only added the part to lurker cuz i was going to post the image anyway. everyone needs a laugh.

Edited by jboyst62

5136683+_0ce2112790eeafaaa01a5f511dd7b1a

INTJ I have been working on growing myself over the past few years and becoming more and more an E because it is more successful to be able to manage both. I have grown to 49% P from being only 31%.

I dont care to go against BB's wishes.

but i love this thread.

that's an interesting realization that sometimes players are more interested in making money than winning. i think a lot of these incentive based contracts need to change. make them more team oriented bonuses rather than individual. all they are doing is encouraging individual performance and "me first" types of players

Performance based make more sense than attendance based anyway.

The lost point in this thread is the Sam Adams playtime bonus. Teams can impact bonus pay outs by simply benching a player or, less obviously, limit their play time. Every play is tracked and if a team is going nowhere their focus turns to play time incentives.

Play time incentives are indirectly linked to overall team performance since, logically, if the team is doing well it will want the best players in the game. However, once a team is eliminated from the playoffs for example, the fiscal watchdogs start auditing the play time very aggressively.

The lost point in this thread is the Sam Adams playtime bonus. Teams can impact bonus pay outs by simply benching a player or, less obviously, limit their play time. Every play is tracked and if a team is going nowhere their focus turns to play time incentives.

Play time incentives are indirectly linked to overall team performance since, logically, if the team is doing well it will want the best players in the game. However, once a team is eliminated from the playoffs for example, the fiscal watchdogs start auditing the play time very aggressively.

There was a TV show on ESPN about this - Playmakers - that was pulled because it was controversial. The NFL had it pulled. A lot of this stuff came up. It's amazing how they manage to do this - though its fair. A lot of employers do not let their employees work OT or limit their bonuses. The NFL is no different.

Article for the show.

http://www.thesportsfanjournal.com/columns/ed-the-sports-fan/the-lost-tapes-season-2-of-gamechangers/