Article: Quit Sleeping on EJ Manuel

I believe that EJ Manuel is currently the third best QB on the Bills.

Beware Tyrod Taylor.

The article was good though.

Don't get what Tyrod did to earn the respect??? In 35 attempts, 2 picks, 54% completion.

His college completion rate < EJs as a pro.

I expect him to surprise alright.... suprisingly recalibrate people's understanding of "inaccuracy"

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get what Tyrod did to earn the respect??? In 35 attempts, 2 picks, 54% completion.

His college completion rate < EJs as a pro.

I expect him to surprise alright.... suprisingly recalibrate people's understanding of "inaccuracy"

Very Funny!!! Still hope he surprises everyone. Doug Williams won a superbowl.

I can understand how people can have doubt. What I cannot understand is how anyone can give up on a QB with less than a full season of playing time under his belt. I'm not the "I told you so," type, but when EJ wins the job and kicks ass this season, I might become one, temporarily.

The reason why people have given up on EJ when he hasn't even started a whole season of games yet is because he hasn't shown anything that even resembles a franchise QB. There have been no glimpses of anything that says that he is the guy. Other QB's that have turned into franchise QBs have at least shown glimpses in less time than it has taken EJ. Not every Qb but a lot of them of them show signs that they have what it takes. This is not the case with EJ. Everything that we have seen from EJ at this point tells me that we have already seen his ceiling. There is nothing in his game that says he could even be the next Joe Flacco much less a guy like Aaron Rodgers

I actually think he's not bad in most of those.

The thing that kills me is accuracy. He just came apart last year on this-- even really short accuracy was poor.

Yes, just how do you teach accuracy and feel for the game? Either you have it or you don't, early on. I hope EJ makes me look foolish but I just don't get positive vibes watching him, all statistics aside

1. EJ sucks.

2. EJ hasn't been given a full season yet / EJ will be in a better system.

Pretty much sums the rest of this thread up. everyone can reply with a 1 or 2 to save time arguing.

Haha, so true.

I'd also add, every though I think he sucks, I'd love to wrong.

Yes, just how do you teach accuracy and feel for the game? Either you have it or you don't, early on. I hope EJ makes me look foolish but I just don't get positive vibes watching him, all statistics aside

Alex Smith had a season of 48 % and a few years ago had a season of 70%.

Why do we have to make snap judgments on young Qbs?

The reason why people have given up on EJ when he hasn't even started a whole season of games yet is because he hasn't shown anything that even resembles a franchise QB. There have been no glimpses of anything that says that he is the guy. Other QB's that have turned into franchise QBs have at least shown glimpses in less time than it has taken EJ. Not every Qb but a lot of them of them show signs that they have what it takes. This is not the case with EJ. Everything that we have seen from EJ at this point tells me that we have already seen his ceiling. There is nothing in his game that says he could even be the next Joe Flacco much less a guy like Aaron Rodgers

You might want to do some research first. Flacco's rookie year stats are almost identical to EJ's rookie year.

There was a time when fans and media questioned if the Ravens could even go far with Flacco. But hindsight allows everyone to act like they thought he was a franchise qb right from the start.

Haha, so true.

I'd also add, every though I think he sucks, I'd love to wrong.

Alex Smith had a season of 48 % and a few years ago had a season of 70%.

Why do we have to make snap judgments on young Qbs?

You might want to do some research first. Flacco's rookie year stats are almost identical to EJ's rookie year.

There was a time when fans and media questioned if the Ravens could even go far with Flacco. But hindsight allows everyone to act like they thought he was a franchise qb right from the start.

Joe Flacco went to the AFCCG his rookie year and lead his team to win 8 of their last 10 games to clinch a playoff berth. He was also the first rookie in NFL history to win two playoff games.

Research!

Edited by FireChan

Joe Flacco went to the AFCCG his rookie year and lead his team to win 8 of their last 10 games to clinch a playoff berth. He was also the first rookie in NFL history to win two playoff games.

Research!

Do you do anything but try and argue every point here?

But you're right. The Ravens were carried by Flacco's 14 tds, 12 ints his rookie year. Same with the Jets and Sanchez or the 49ers with Alex Smith.

There were no other factors in these team's success besides the Qbs. None!

Do you do anything but try and argue every point here?

But you're right. The Ravens were carried by Flacco's 14 tds, 12 ints his rookie year. Same with the Jets and Sanchez or the 49ers with Alex Smith.

There were no other factors in these team's success besides the Qbs. None!

Did those teams have a top 10 D and the #2 rushing attack?

You're kidding yourself if you think the opinion on EJ wouldn't be much higher if he went to the playoffs like Flacco and Sancho did. Even with the exact same stats. That's just the way it goes. There are still some Jets fans who want Sancho back.

Flacco and Sancho made history as rookies. EJ didn't. Sorry.

Edited by FireChan

Did those teams have a top 10 D and the #2 rushing attack?

You're kidding yourself if you think the opinion on EJ wouldn't be much higher if he went to the playoffs like Flacco and Sancho did. Even with the exact same stats. That's just the way it goes. There are still some Jets fans who want Sancho back.

Well, fans are dumb. But it was EJ's fault the top 10 defense blew the leads in the NE, Cleveland, and Atlanta games.

There are like maybe 5 Qbs who single handedly win games. Football is still the ultimate team game.

Well, fans are dumb. But it was EJ's fault the top 10 defense blew the leads in the NE, Cleveland, and Atlanta games.

There are like maybe 5 Qbs who single handedly win games. Football is still the ultimate team game.

Again, that's not what I'm saying.

Flacco and Sancho made history as rookies. Period. You wanna argue they caught some lucky breaks, or had a team a little bit better, that's fine. (It's not like EJ was on the Jags btw.) But they were the first two rookies ever to helm two playoff wins. That's not a "hindsight" argument.

Joe Flacco came out year two and posted 3 95+ passer rating victories. With 3 QBR's 66+. Was that when they questioned if he could take them far?

Edited by FireChan

To me, it will come down to whether EJ has the all-important but completely intangible "it" required for success as an NFL QB. He will come into camp with as much preparation as possible. He will split 1st string reps with Matt Cassel, so he will get his shot. I predict we will have a very good idea by the time the first pre-season game rolls around of whether he turned the corner or not. It would be absolutely great if he shows well, but I am thankful there are seemingly viable alternatives on the roster now.

Again, that's not what I'm saying.

Flacco and Sancho made history as rookies. Period. You wanna argue they caught some lucky breaks, or had a team a little bit better, that's fine. (It's not like EJ was on the Jags btw.) But they were the first two rookies ever to helm two playoff wins. That's not a "hindsight" argument.

Joe Flacco came out year two and posted 3 95+ passer rating victories. With 3 QBR's 66+. Was that when they questioned if he could take them far?

Their teams won. They both played on top 5 talented football teams. It's the same thing with Russell Wilson. He's not the same player or "history maker " in Jacksonville.

The 2013 defense was overrated. They blew at least 3 late 4th quarter leads. They hold on to any of those leads, EJ has a winning record and he is thought of different.

Even though he is the same exact player. That's why W-L records for Qbs is stupid unless it's Brady or Manning.

Their teams won. They both played on top 5 talented football teams. It's the same thing with Russell Wilson. He's not the same player or "history maker " in Jacksonville.

The 2013 defense was overrated. They blew at least 3 late 4th quarter leads. They hold on to any of those leads, EJ has a winning record and he is thought of different.

Even though he is the same exact player. That's why W-L records for Qbs is stupid unless it's Brady or Manning.

Even if the defense holds onto those leads, EJ doesn't make the playoffs, therefore does not win two playoff games.

Comparing him to Flacco just by using the stat sheet is not accurate.

Ok, so there are other better QBs out there. We can either gripe bitterly about it for the next 5 seasons or we can sit back and enjoy the show. We have 3 QBs now. Let the best man win :beer:

But I will get crazy cred here for being the first to call EJ a bust!

Young players, especially Qbs, never improve. It's a fact.

Even if the defense holds onto those leads, EJ doesn't make the playoffs, therefore does not win two playoff games.

Comparing him to Flacco just by using the stat sheet is not accurate.

I'm done. Enjoy the rest of your night arguing for the sake of arguing.

But I will get crazy cred here for being the first to call EJ a bust!

Young players, especially Qbs, never improve. It's a fact.

I'm done. Enjoy the rest of your night arguing for the sake of arguing.

You will come around one day.

e907c3c00f387288650ab213bf5db451fb087b5b

I'm hoping EJ wins the job in camp as it would be the best outcome for the organization as a whole. This should be a real competition in camp as the article points out, the job won't be given to him. Rex and Roman will have the final say in a few months and I trust them to make the best call for the offense. It wouldn't be shocking to see him win the job, nor would it be shocking to see him finish third.