Rex and Whaley discuss the OL

Whaley saying the drop off isn't as much as people think makes me believe that the top tier guys are not as good as people think versus the second tier guys are better than people think.

I really don't think they are taking a QB in 2 or 3 unless, say, someone they considered in the 2nd round and have a second round grade on him falls to the third.

Not that I believe anything a coach or GM says any side of two months before or after the draft.

From the first link:

"Henderson was a seventh-round draft pick from Miami who, in the eyes of the Bills’ previous coaches, was the most talented member of the line. Ryan’s predecessor, Doug Marrone, had pretty much privately decided during the middle of last season that Henderson would move to left tackle this year and Glenn likely would shift to left guard.

That still could happen, although Ryan and Kromer are first trying to sort out the situation at tackle, which includes the possibility of Henderson and Glenn trading places in order to have the team's two best players at the position on the field and take advantage of Henderson’s superior pass protection skills on the quarterback’s blind side."

I don't see how anyone who watched Seantrel Henderson play last year could decide he would be best moved to LT and kick Glenn inside to guard.

Anyone beside Marrone that is

Where and when did Henderson demonstrate "superior pass protection skills on the QB blind side"? From this thing at NFL.com his college starts appear to be exclusively at RT.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/seantrel-henderson?id=2543730

Is Vic Carucci worth anything as a reporter? Shouldn't reporters ask those sorts of questions?

From the first link:

"Henderson was a seventh-round draft pick from Miami who, in the eyes of the Bills’ previous coaches, was the most talented member of the line. Ryan’s predecessor, Doug Marrone, had pretty much privately decided during the middle of last season that Henderson would move to left tackle this year and Glenn likely would shift to left guard.

That still could happen, although Ryan and Kromer are first trying to sort out the situation at tackle, which includes the possibility of Henderson and Glenn trading places in order to have the team's two best players at the position on the field and take advantage of Henderson’s superior pass protection skills on the quarterback’s blind side."

I don't see how anyone who watched Seantrel Henderson play last year could decide he would be best moved to LT and kick Glenn inside to guard.

Where and when did Henderson demonstrate "superior pass protection skills on the QB blind side"? From this thing at NFL.com his college starts appear to be exclusively at RT.

Is Vic Carucci worth anything as a reporter? Shouldn't reporters ask those sorts of questions?

I just made the same comment on the BN article link. Henderson was not good last year.

From the first link:

Count me among Rex and others who think Henderson played well for a rookie and has a lot of talent. I thought his pass protection was pretty good all things considered.

Just my two cents.

I just made the same comment on the BN article link. Henderson was not good last year.

It's not just that he wasn't consistently good last year (he was up and down like any rookie).

He wasn't protecting the QB blind side, then or in college.

Count me among Rex and others who think Henderson played well for a rookie and has a lot of talent. I thought his pass protection was pretty good all things considered.

Just my two cents.

That's fine, but the article alls out his "superior pass protection skills on the QB blind side". We can agree to disagree - I saw play you'd expect for a rookie, some good, some bad, nothing I'd call "superior pass protection". My point is, he's never played LT as far as I can tell, so how do we know what his pass protection skills are on the QB blind side?

Edited by Hopeful

From the first link:

"Henderson was a seventh-round draft pick from Miami who, in the eyes of the Bills previous coaches, was the most talented member of the line. Ryans predecessor, Doug Marrone, had pretty much privately decided during the middle of last season that Henderson would move to left tackle this year and Glenn likely would shift to left guard.

That still could happen, although Ryan and Kromer are first trying to sort out the situation at tackle, which includes the possibility of Henderson and Glenn trading places in order to have the team's two best players at the position on the field and take advantage of Hendersons superior pass protection skills on the quarterbacks blind side."

Agreed and if the Bills tried to move Glenn to G in a contract year, his agent Shiism advise him to hold out.

Henderson was great for a 7th round rookie RT but he was a below average RT. To expect him to be a starting LT at this point would be a terrible mistake.

Based on Whaley's OL comments they will prioritize guard in the draft. Tomlinson, Marpet, Miller, etc should be on everyone's radar.

Whaley saying the drop off isn't as much as people think makes me believe that the top tier guys are not as good as people think versus the second tier guys are better than people think.

I really don't think they are taking a QB in 2 or 3 unless, say, someone they considered in the 2nd round and have a second round grade on him falls to the third.

Not that I believe anything a coach or GM says any side of two months before or after the draft.

I think you're right that Whaley is playing a word game, but the rub is that the dropoff is between Winston and Mariota. There should be very little dropoff between Mariota and #3 because Mariota is not nearly the caliber of prospect that he has been hyped up to be. Observe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCcm2Vl4TNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYa6S6UA0MU

If I'm Kraig Urbik, I hate the sound of "I don't want him starting" from Rex Ryan. I'm not sure how to feel about him saying those words. Personally, I understand and agree with that statement, but do you say that about any player, EVER to the media or to the players?

If I'm Kraig Urbik, I hate the sound of "I don't want him starting" from Rex Ryan. I'm not sure how to feel about him saying those words. Personally, I understand and agree with that statement, but do you say that about any player, EVER to the media or to the players?

He has already taken a paycut to one that is more commensurate with that of a solid veteran backup. I would think that he is fully aware of what his role is hoped to be this season.

"He’s equally pleased to have free-agent signee Richie Incognito return for a second stint with the Bills to play right guard and Eric Wood at center"

" which includes the possibility of Henderson and Glenn trading places"
Kraig Urbik, "I don't want him starting" from Rex Ryan.
Richie played his best at LG , Glenn at LT, Urbik RG. This new shake up sounds scary to me

"Hes equally pleased to have free-agent signee Richie Incognito return for a second stint with the Bills to play right guard and Eric Wood at center"

" which includes the possibility of Henderson and Glenn trading places"

Kraig Urbik, "I don't want him starting" from Rex Ryan.

Richie played his best at LG , Glenn at LT, Urbik RG. This new shake up sounds scary to me

could it be any scarier than what we saw last year

does that statement exonerate marrone to some degree for not starting Urbik most of the year? I'm just asking as I still think he woukd have been better than richardson or pears.

I read somewhere its difficult for a LG or LT to switch to the right side and vice versa. I hope I misread that article.

Yet everyone is ready to give up on Cyrus because he didn't make that switch well last year as a 20 year old rookie.

People that think Henderson is bad or was a 7th Rd draft pick because he wasn't talented need to realize he was ranked as the Number 2 overall College prospect in the 2010 High School class. He dropped in the draft due to failed drug tests and some of his bad play IMO was due to having a lousy G next to him. I just hope he is working as hard as Cyrus is this off season because if he is the Bills are fine at RT.

It's not just that he wasn't consistently good last year (he was up and down like any rookie).

He wasn't protecting the QB blind side, then or in college.

Totally going by memory and still a very slim sample size but ... - which side did Henderson line-up against the Giants in last years HOF game ? I remember him stone walling JPP but cant remember which side he was on.

Edited by Fan in Chicago