Offensive line scheme

Drreef2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ritchie and urbik are better at RG. The hole is at LG

Urbik agree, but IIRC he does not get great marks as a run blocking RG. He's "meh" to "OK" there at best.

Incognito, would like to understand why you say that. He played RG with the Rams and was inconsistent. His best years were with the Dolphins, where he played 3 1/2 years at LG and went to the probowl -also as a LG http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/I/IncoRi20.htm

If we aren't "mixing sh** up" for the sake of mixing sh** up, the line would currently look like Henderson or Kujo (RT), Williams or Urbik (RG), Wood ©, Incognito (LG), Glenn (LT)

Hopefully we draft a couple of good OLmen. If we do I'm thinking Richardson may get cut.

I think we have to put alot of weight upon the coaching upgrades.

as mentioned in last years man schemes O line was not getting leverage even one on one. Its going to be a concern for me.

I see Felton as big help but not so much from Gragg or Gray.

Williams remains a question mark for me.

I can see Bills needing two guards still. Even If Richie is a starter. which i think he will be. at left guard

I think we have to put alot of weight upon the coaching upgrades.

as mentioned in last years man schemes O line was not getting leverage even one on one. Its going to be a concern for me.

I see Felton as big help but not so much from Gragg or Gray.

Williams remains a question mark for me.

I can see Bills needing two guards still. Even If Richie is a starter. which i think he will be. at left guard

If the Bills take a tackle at 50, do you think Kujo, Henderson or Glenn could fill a need at guard?

If the Bills take a tackle at 50, do you think Kujo, Henderson or Glenn could fill a need at guard?

This is an annoying question for me. Not personal to you 0:) .

But the Glenn to guard just grates on me.

Can Henderson move inside I sure could not guess that. But if the coaches see fit, well so be it. But if it turns out anything like the Pears Project ? Ugghh.

Kujo , that would be sweet if he could develop into a BU or better guard or at least swing tackle this year would be fantastic!

The fact that Bills went after Bulaga means something , just not sure what. That was a big offer i guess.

What are you thinking ?

Edited by 3rdand12

Can Henderson move inside I sure could not guess that. But if the coaches see fit, well so be it. But if it turns out anything like the Pears Project ? Ugghh.

Kujo , that would be sweet if he could develop into a BU or better guard or at least swing tackle this year would be fantastic!

The fact that Bills went after Bulaga means something , just not sure what. That was a big offer i guess.

What are you thinking ?

The fact they aren't pursuing any more FA guard help makes me think they believe they have the answer on the roster or they're taking him at 50. I've always believed if you can take a tackle, you can upgrade your line at two positions. Glenn was a second rounder, I wonder if someone of his talent level will be available.

The fact they aren't pursuing any more FA guard help makes me think they believe they have the answer on the roster or they're taking him at 50. I've always believed if you can take a tackle, you can upgrade your line at two positions. Glenn was a second rounder, I wonder if someone of his talent level will be available.

Interesting take .

I dont know enough to argue that a reasonable percentage of drafted tackles moved inside succeed or not.

Thats a scouting issue i would guess? and talking about that and our line is already in another thread !!

Henderson is the ? to me currently. can he get a good step up this offseason under the new regime ? This might a truly BPA draft and then you get the best player you can get of course. On that i will agree. even if its not an area of need. Build the depth

Edited by 3rdand12

Power man under Roman

Zone scheme under Marrone

Gailey uses zone based schemes out of spread forms

This is exactly why guys like Richardson and Kouandjio have a better chance at succeeding under this regime, compared to the last regime.

It is also why I don't think LG Evan Mathis and his 290 pound frame is a good fit for this scheme...Roman's LG in San Francisco (Iupati) was 350 lbs.

Urbik agree, but IIRC he does not get great marks as a run blocking RG. He's "meh" to "OK" there at best.

Incognito, would like to understand why you say that. He played RG with the Rams and was inconsistent. His best years were with the Dolphins, where he played 3 1/2 years at LG and went to the probowl -also as a LG http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/I/IncoRi20.htm

If we aren't "mixing sh** up" for the sake of mixing sh** up, the line would currently look like Henderson or Kujo (RT), Williams or Urbik (RG), Wood ©, Incognito (LG), Glenn (LT)

Hopefully we draft a couple of good OLmen. If we do I'm thinking Richardson may get cut.

Isn't Incognito a better run-blocker, and Williams a better pass-blocker...which would make sense to have Incognito at RG, and Williams at LG?

Our OL was not bad in 2013 under Marrone. We basically had one spot really bring our PFF rating from top 15 to 22nd that year. Legursky helped a little.

It was bad in 2014 because of all the moving players around.

Henderson had a few really tough matchups last year which hurt his grade, Wake, Justin Houston, Von Miller, and Mack. He was pretty solid most of the time.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

This is exactly why guys like Richardson and Kouandjio have a better chance at succeeding under this regime, compared to the last regime.

It is also why I don't think LG Evan Mathis and his 290 pound frame is a good fit for this scheme...Roman's LG in San Francisco (Iupati) was 350 lbs.

Isn't Incognito a better run-blocker, and Williams a better pass-blocker...which would make sense to have Incognito at RG, and Williams at LG?

Henderson to Guard?

I'm hoping we see some positive results with Kouandijo after the time he's spent in that O-Line camp.

Did anyone else notice that there's an Arie Kouandijo, an OG also from Alabama, in the draft for this year? Must be Cyrus's brother.

At 6'7" he's probably too tall, and I don't think he's ever played inside at any point in his career, so it would be a real gamble.

He played Guard in College at certain points, obviously, leverage was an issue. Sure, it would be a gamble, but Roman has proven successful with bigger guards

What are you thinking ?

Maybe this is the same as the annoyance you feel. I believe that a big, hulking behemoth who can play as an effective run blocking, pulling guard is rare.

The guy basically has to train to run bent at the knees because otherwise his center of gravity is against him and it's too easy for defenders to get their hands under his pads and pop him on his ass like a drunk at an oyster bar popping them out of their shells.

Kujo is a big guy - 6'7" I think? And relatively slow. 5.6 sec 40. He was strictly LT in college.

Just like Pears, who is 6'8", relatively slow, and also not that heavy (316), I don't think he's the stuff that capable guards are made of.

I could of course, be wrong.

This is a much more experienced and proven coaching staff. draftees are cheap especially by the second round, you're not spending much on a 4 year deal.

This organization has spent more in free agency than ever before, but more importantly we are closer to the cap than I've ever seen.

With 6.92 mil left and you need $5 mil for any draft, we are in great shape. We added some serious weapons to the offense, and we;ll see.

At 6'7" he's probably too tall, and I don't think he's ever played inside at any point in his career, so it would be a real gamble.

But Pears is 6'8" and played OG last year. Oh, wait a minute.......never mind.