Bills Big Spender - calculated or reckless?

I think, as always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I think the McCoy trade was reckless. But I'm of the opinion that Freddie and a rookie from the draft would have been able to handle the load this year, assuming the Bills couldn't sign Murray or another RB. Would have preferred to keep Kiko and the accompanying cap space.

Having said that, the Bills play in an unpopular city for prospective players and they haven't been to the playoffs in 15 years. The only real selling point to convince people to come here is money. So they had to overpay here and there. As long as it doesn't jeopardize our ability to keep other good players, I'm happy with this new philosophy. When we're good again, we'll be able to attract players for less money. Think of this offseason as an investment in the future. Not just for 2015.

I don't believe we overpaid on anyone but Clay, and he was a very special circumstance.

Hughes signed a team friendly contract.

McCoy signed for more guaranteed money, but a lower average cap hit than his original eagles contract (although he didn't have much of a choice)

Harvin is making $6 million, which is about the same as the Jets (add in Seattle fronting the signing bonus, and the Jets paid more), and much less than Seattle was paying originally.

Felton while making more guaranteed money with the Bills, he is making less as a yearly average.

Urbik took a pay cut

We certainly paid players to come here, but we didn't overpay.

Edited by What a Tuel

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Irresponsible or Reckless is not having a plan -- I believe the Bills have a plan. Its something like this:

Teams don't want to lose their young core. I consider the Bills young core the following:

Offense

Clay

Watkins

Henderson

Glenn

Defense

Dareus

Gilmore

Bradham

Hughes

AJ Williams

Everyone else on the roster can be restructured, traded or cut to make room for these 9 players. Glenn, Gilmore, Bradham and Dareus are not locked up long term (3 or more years). You have to make room for them. The Bills can't be sentimentalists. Kyle Williams and Mario Williams may have to sacrifice or be sacrificed to keep Dareus; Eric Wood may have to sacrifice or be sacrificed to keep Glenn. Leodis might be sacrificed to keep Gilmore. You have to draft smart to build depth to prepare to lose these older core and non-core players that take up the cap room from the young core. You also have to build so attractive a culture and so much of a winner that older guys will sacrifice to keep the team together.

As for the Bills--Mario knows that his cap hit next year will be reduced with more up front money. In a perfect situation Mario would basically add a year or two at a low salary in exchange for a large guaranteed payment next year to keep Dareus, like Kyle did this year to keep Hughes....it will happen if the Bills win this year. Clay will do the same next year...to keep a young good LT in the fold.

For the first time in a while I think the Bills have a generous financial plan that involves managing the cap with up front guarantees in exchange for low cost extensions for older core players and letting them play out their career for a winner. The Bills did not have the generous guarantee option under Mr. Wilson but do under the Pegulas and this is really the key to make the plan work. Fans should be excited.

Edited by Formerly Joe F

......Mario would basically add a year or two at a low salary in exchange for a large guaranteed payment next year to keep Dareus, like Kyle did this year to keep Hughes....

I don't disagree with you in any way in regards to restructuring players to fit others.....but the KW contract restructure did not do this, and in fact was the opposite. The KW deal added to his cap hit in all years as well as adding the highest pay and cap hit for the additional year.

I don't disagree with you in any way in regards to restructuring players to fit others.....but the KW contract restructure did not do this, and in fact was the opposite. The KW deal added to his cap hit in all years as well as adding the highest pay and cap hit for the additional year.

You are right as always Dibs...dang....

I think, as always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I think the McCoy trade was reckless. But I'm of the opinion that Freddie and a rookie from the draft would have been able to handle the load this year, assuming the Bills couldn't sign Murray or another RB. Would have preferred to keep Kiko and the accompanying cap space.

Having said that, the Bills play in an unpopular city for prospective players and they haven't been to the playoffs in 15 years. The only real selling point to convince people to come here is money. So they had to overpay here and there. As long as it doesn't jeopardize our ability to keep other good players, I'm happy with this new philosophy. When we're good again, we'll be able to attract players for less money. Think of this offseason as an investment in the future. Not just for 2015.

Freddy nearly tore his groin from simply running last year. I don't trust him to shoulder the load. I love him as a leader and a guy who constantly defies expectations, but he is not LeSean McCoy. Unfortunately, neither was CJ.

I dunno. The negotiations for Clay were just about as calculatingly calculated as it gets.

They worked long and hard at that on all fronts. They wanted him, and thanks to Pegs and Kim, he wanted to be a Bill.

The rub was Miami screwed up by undervaluing him and only nailing him with the Transition tag instead of the Franchise tag.

That was cheap on their part - for an extra $500k they could have locked him up. End of story.

They didn't and that left the door open for a TE coveting team to make a move.

And by definition, that move had to be calculated to make Miami think hard, think twice, and then think again if they wanted to match it.

So by their calculations, it was not cost-beneficial - for them.

I think it is for us.

Go Bills!

If you've got the cash and you've got the cap room (for the players) then why not spend it? As has been proven over and over again, cap issues rarely occur anymore with the big bump it gets every year and the ability to re-structure deals. The only person on that list that I think we may have overspent on is Clay, but we have the ability to eat up that extra cash so I'm fine with it (not to mention we took him away from a division rival).

And Shady, in my opinion. But this was what Pegula did immediately with the Sabres as well, but in that case he had a terrible GM spending his money and it was foolish as well as reckless. At least the Bills have a capable GM to go on a shopping spree with Pegulas money.

We paid a premium price for a premium player. And when you don't have an elite QB, you need an elite RB.

Yep, there are a lot of good backs in the draft and I feel like you evidently do that there's still some left gas in Freddy's tank. If Andrew Luck was our QB, I'd be happy with a backfield of Fred, Boobie, Brown and talented rookie. But with Cassel as our probable starter, we really need to make sure that we have a dynamic running attack.

Trading for McCoy wasn't as reckless as it was necessary.

I think the price for Clay was reckless. Then again, you can't always look for value at the dollar store. Sometimes you gotta splurge.

Along with a good offensive line which we certainly don't have.

My concern is Mccoy will have no room to run and our offense will be inept once again because our offensive line continues to be among the worst in the league. Hopefully Incognito and the change in coaching staff prove me wrong.

I actually share your concern and likewise hope Incognito and better coaching sweeps away both our worries. It's be an interesting season, for sure.

Along with a good offensive line which we certainly don't have.

My concern is Mccoy will have no room to run and our offense will be inept once again because our offensive line continues to be among the worst in the league. Hopefully Incognito and the change in coaching staff prove me wrong.

Exactly. McCoy has looked very good thus far throughout his career, but he's had the benefit of good to great olines and solid offensive coaching since he entered the league. Whether he has that here remains to be seen. I am not of the opinion that our RBs were the problem with the running game last year. Too many times, they didn't even have a chance to get out of the backfield.

The success of the offense, and by extension, the entire team assuming the defense will be lights-out again, rests on Greg Roman, Aaron Kromer, and the development of Kouandjio, Richardson and Henderson, along with any other oline pickups. We know what we have with the other players. We have no chance with no QB and a porous line.

Edited by QB Bills

I'd say calculated with the exception of Clay. Breaking the bank on him was definitely a leap. He'll need to become a perennial pro-bowler for that deal to pay off.

I will take a TE that is mentioned as a pro bowler or maybe an alternate. When is the last time the Bills had a TE in the pro bowl???

All kidding aside, Clay was the only one the Bills MAY have overpaid. I think maybe the FO also viewed it as a chance to weaken a divisional rival, that might of added a few extra dollars to the deal.

The Hughes deal helped the Bills out big time as well as the Urbik taking a pay cut. The message that sent was i want to be in Buffalo.

McCoy is a great pick up. What he provides in the locker room is also an added value to his dynamic play on the field.

Harvin will be used all over the field and returning kicks. I think Roman will find a way to maximize his talent. Harvin WILL be on his best behavior. This is a one year deal. Look for Harvin also to take some kick returning duties.

I think this was a well though out FA period. I think the Bills will make a move or two post draft. A cut here or there of a big salary ( C.Williams). Maybe an addition once other teams make a move.

The greatest thing is having a group that likes working with each other and his on the same page.

Owner

FO

Coaches

this very well should translate into wins on the field because the talent is there and fits schemes.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975