Newspaper article on Buffalo stadium - February 10, 1972

What happened to the hotel, entertainment park, and championship golf course?

Also, read what Deacon Jones said about his old team on the next page. Can you imagine the news if a player said that now? And people get annoyed about Lynch. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

Edited by musichunch

What happened to the hotel, entertainment park, and championship golf course?

Also, read what Deacon Jones said about his old team on the next page. Can you imagine the news if a player said that now? And people get annoyed about Lynch. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

He said something honest. Nothing about Lynch's marketing to sell his products is honest.

Anybody besides me notice the Buffalo Braves at the bottom of the NBA Eastern Division 231/2 games back! Ha....that was a really bad time for professional sports teams in WNY....

As bad as they were, they were also very exciting. We were only into our second season with the Sabres and first with the Braves. There were no false illusions just faith that we had some good pieces, especially the Sabres. Both teams grew out of their expansion status quickly and became playoff contenders sooner rather than later. Those were great days to be a Buffalo sports fan.

GO BILLS!!!

As bad as they were, they were also very exciting. We were only into our second season with the Sabres and first with the Braves. There were no false illusions just faith that we had some good pieces, especially the Sabres. Both teams grew out of their expansion status quickly and became playoff contenders sooner rather than later. Those were great days to be a Buffalo sports fan.

GO BILLS!!!

Both teams started the same year, didn't they?

Ted Cottrell was going to build the Astrodome in Buffalo?

Yeesh, they wouldn't even call it the Astrodome - just "comparable". Good thing that never happened :beer:

How about that page layout? Makes it easy to follow a story!

Both teams started the same year, didn't they?

Right you are. For some reason I lost the first season for the Braves. I was associating it with Elmore Smith's first season for some reason. I mean, how could I forget John Hummer?

Right you are. For some reason I lost the first season for the Braves. I was associating it with Elmore Smith's first season for some reason. I mean, how could I forget John Hummer?

Yeah, John Hummer - who they passed on Calvin Murphy for! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Actually by the following year after that article, Buffalo sports really started being great. OJ, Big Mac, and Bert! Saban, Dr. Jack/Eddie Donovan and Punch!

I remember how cool it was when all three teams would win a Sunday.

Yeah, John Hummer - who they passed on Calvin Murphy for! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Actually by the following year after that article, Buffalo sports really started being great. OJ, Big Mac, and Bert! Saban, Dr. Jack/Eddie Donovan and Punch!

I remember how cool it was when all three teams would win a Sunday.

Yeah, great times indeed. Always a good Monday morning Courier Express read whenever we hit on a rare Sunday trifecta. I'd get up extra early before school just to be the first to the sports section.

GO BILLS!!!

Anybody besides me notice the Buffalo Braves at the bottom of the NBA Eastern Division 231/2 games back! Ha....that was a really bad time for professional sports teams in WNY....

True enough but Sabres and Bills were 2 years away from becoming playoff teams...the darkness always comes before the light...

This stadium was to be built about 1 block from where I grew up. We were really excited. The land used to be a golf course, and a nice one at that. Now there is houses built where the 3rd hole used to be. I was excited because I wanted to park cars in our yard but dad said "uh no" (his lawn was his pride and joy) Also we could walk to the games. Was totally bummed when the deal went belly up.

True enough but Sabres and Bills were 2 years away from becoming playoff teams...the darkness always comes before the light...

Sabres made the playoffs the next year. Remember "Thank you, Sabres" at the end of that Habs series. Schony's rookie year.