How does a D cover this offense?

scribo

Last year, the Bills finished 26th in the league in total offense with 318 yards per game. If they can increase that output by 60 yards per game, that would vault this offense into the top 10 (9th).

I think with the addition of McCoy, Felton, Incognito, & whomever they draft on the line, that should drastically increase their rushing output. I think those additions alone with Roman's offense shoukd be good for 40-50 yards a game. This team didn't have a single 100 yard rusher - don't think anyone even broke 80 yards.

Then you gave the additions of Clay & Harvin. Those Two should be good for another 20 yards per game. Add in Watkins with a full offseason of NFL work & an OC that will actually use him and he will easily Crack 1000 yards. Woods will be in the all important 3rd year which a lot of WRs break out in.

Even with Cassel or Manuel at QB, I think we can still have a top 15 passing attack. Watkins, Harvin, Shady, & Clay are beasts in the screen game/short passing game. The shear amount of talent this offense can throw out there in 3 WR sets means that they will always have a mismatch.

Once teams start stacking the box to stop Shady, Watkins/Woods/Harvin/Clay will make them pay in the passing game

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year, the Bills finished 26th in the league in total offense with 318 yards per game. If they can increase that output by 60 yards per game, that would vault this offense into the top 10 (9th).

I think with the addition of McCoy, Felton, Incognito, & whomever they draft on the line, that should drastically increase their rushing output. I think those additions alone with Roman's offense shoukd be good for 40-50 yards a game. This team didn't have a single 100 yard rusher - don't think anyone even broke 80 yards.

Then you gave the additions of Clay & Harvin. Those Two should be good for another 20 yards per game. Add in Watkins with a full offseason of NFL work & an OC that will actually use him and he will easily Crack 1000 yards. Woods will be in the all important 3rd year which a lot of WRs break out in.

Even with Cassel or Manuel at QB, I think we can still have a top 15 passing attack. Watkins, Harvin, Shady, & Clay are beasts in the screen game/short passing game. The shear amount of talent this offense can throw out there in 3 WR sets means that they will always have a mismatch.

Once teams start stacking the box to stop Shady, Watkins/Woods/Harvin/Clay will make them pay in the passing game

To casually declare we should add 50 rushing yards per game is to vault us into second in the league

Matt Cassel is not a good QB. He was benched for Brady Quinn and never got the job back. He is for sure in the NFL's bottom five of starting QBs if he's our starter.

The 2015 offense hinges on either Manuel, Taylor or maybe even the QB we pick at #50 if they do that. Cassel is an "emergency backup QB only" IMO. No way will I believe that it was Greg Roman's master plan to have Matt Cassel run his 2015 offense for a whole year. Cassel was essentially replaced by Roman's rejected QB Alex Smith.

Matt cassel has made a pro bowl. How many pro bowls has sam bradford made? Everyone expects the bills to make a wrong move, lets give our new staff the benefit of the doubt. Personally ive never been more excited for a season.

Matt cassel has made a pro bowl. How many pro bowls has sam bradford made? Everyone expects the bills to make a wrong move, lets give our new staff the benefit of the doubt. Personally ive never been more excited for a season.

I wouldn't say it was the wrong move- given the available options it's was a pretty good move. But that doesn't mean he's a good player (if that kind of makes sense). We will see if he's good enough- but in a thread on how to slow down the offense- our qb and interior line are mighty fair discussion points.

I'm really excited for this season too! I just don't think Matt Cassel is full time starting material. He may have to be, but my hope is that either Manuel or Taylor takes off in Roman's offense and can become our franchise QB.

Making the pro bowl five years ago isn't a big deal when you consider the free fall Cassel's career has taken ever since. I guess I'm just trying to break it to Bills fans that Cassel isn't that "pro bowl" QB anymore. The best we can hope for is around the 20-25th rated QB IMO. No sense in trying to sugar coat it. If Manuel or Taylor can't get it done then the Bills are going after the "big fish" next year. Someone will hopefully shake free either through a trade or free agency. This year was really horrible if you were looking for even an average QB to pick up.

To casually declare we should add 50 rushing yards per game is to vault us into second in the league

McCoy is the leading rusher in the NFL over the last 5 seasons. He will be the centerpiece of Roman's run centric offense so I could see McCoy (with Felton blocking for him) adding 480 yards overall which would equal 40 yards per game over the course of a season. That increase would place them just outside the top 10

Edited by smapdi

The way the skill positions are shaping up, it reminds me of the OSU offense. If it is, They are going to make the defenses defend the whole field, have a huge playbook, have the ability to win one on one matchups, and hit you with deep passes when you overcommit to something else. It does not require an elite passer but it does require a very good OL, big time playmakers and a capable passer with a big arm and mobility to scare the D into thinking you are a risk to run as the QB at any time. I am interested to see the OL shape up because I think it's the key to the whole thing.

you are a smart man YOLO! Have an up vote... Oh wait it's not reddit

McCoy is the leading rusher in the NFL over the last 5 seasons. He will be the centerpiece of Roman's run centric offense so I could see McCoy (with Felton blocking for him) adding 480 yards overall which would equal 40 yards per game over the course of a season. That increase would place them just outside the top 10

We play 16 games so that is 640yards and the 50 end is 800 yards. That's a lot of yards - Id call it ideal, and possible but not a slam dunk

Edited by NoSaint

I wouldn't say it was the wrong move- given the available options it's was a pretty good move. But that doesn't mean he's a good player (if that kind of makes sense). We will see if he's good enough- but in a thread on how to slow down the offense- our qb and interior line are mighty fair discussion points.

Cassel reminds me of Kyle Orton. They are different players but I think in terms of their value to the team they are similar stop gap high end backups low end starter type players.

What I think will be interesting is when they come out with clay, Harvin, Sammy and Woods...and a TE to be named later or 7/11, and they line up in an I formation with clay as the FB and harvin as the RB and then they actually run the ball.

4 WR and a TE normally forces a dime package, if they go bigger, we throw!

Edited by frogger

How? They don't really need to worry about any of the pass catchers with Cassell/Manuel/Taylor at QB.

Yeh, about what I was going to say, confuse the QB, don't give him his first two reads... after that better than even odds the play goes for nadda.

This reminds me a lot of when TO came over to play and we were saying the same exact thing. "How's a defense going to cover TO and lee evans on thee outside, roscoe parish in the slot, Shawn Nelson at TE and Freddy and Marshawn in the backfield?" All comes down to who's at QB.

This reminds me a lot of when TO came over to play and we were saying the same exact thing. "How's a defense going to cover TO and lee evans on thee outside, roscoe parish in the slot, Shawn Nelson at TE and Freddy and Marshawn in the backfield?" All comes down to who's at QB.

Hahaha who said this ? Roscoe and Shawn Nelsons 3 career catches can't be stopped !

Has anyone been quoted here over the last 4 years that when we played the dolphins we have to stop Charles Clay?

Rex Ryan said he had to game plan specifically for Clay when he was coaching the Jets. The 2014 Top 100 NFL Players video shows Luke Kuechly saying the same, adding that his defense accounted for Clay on every snap.

Yeh, about what I was going to say, confuse the QB, don't give him his first two reads... after that better than even odds the play goes for nadda.

Not trying to simplify thing but this confusion you mention is harder said than done when the OC scheme's to reveal the defensive call...zone, dog blitz or man. Once that's revealed the match up is 50-50 ball to the playmaker in space.

Remember we are dealing with a coach (OC) with an NFL blocking scheme and approach...besides Chan, we really haven't had this type of offensive approach.

We're so use to one side of the ball being so incompetent, ie. D. Juron (decent Def/ horrible Off), Chan (decent Off/ horrible Def), Marrone (horrible Off/ Great Def).

This staff that's assembled by Rex is an all-star cast, IMO...better than any seen in my lifetime with this organization. Go Bills!!!

Problem there was who was the OC?

BTW, wasn't Parrish injured the majority of the year?

I do believe the offense had some pretty good numbers early before Juron's melt-down...didn't we start out 5-0?

I would expect to see maybe one safety deep, possibly none. They will stack the field within the first 5-10 yards and make us prove we can make a pass downfield.

Sadly, it will probably work

Like everyone else says, this offense is weakest at QB... Stack the box and force the QB to beat you. Blitz all day, stop the run, ignore the WRs until the QB can prove he can handle it.

Pressure up the middle (or at least make our crummy guards move and think a bit), jam the WRs at the line, disrupt the short-medium passing game.

I agree with these comments (and a few more). O-Line and QB are big question marks. I bet that most teams will game plan assuming that the O-Line and QB will not hold up against a few well planned blitzes, stunts and other schemes designed to confuse them.