Winston doesn't plan to attend draft (no Mariota either)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hist day, let him celebrate it how he wants. It's probably a good idea to keep him out of Chicago. Too much trouble to be had right before the draft.

Nope.

I would typically agree with you, or anyone who advocates for these guys to stand up for themselves and take control of their careers--but that's AFTER he gets a job.

This is like being defiant in an interview.

Get your first paycheck before you confirm to everyone just exactly how far your head is up your ass.

Edited by JohnnyGold

It's hist day, let him celebrate it how he wants. It's probably a good idea to keep him out of Chicago. Too much trouble to be had right before the draft.

I wasn't criticizing his decision. I was just wondering when the last time was that the #1 pick didn't attend.

re-read your post through the lens of a team selecting a qb and handing him $20m+ fully guaranteed, including about 15m signing bonus up front.

its his day but its nice when the face of the franchise can be trusted to be a part of the teams biggest moments.

I am not offended by this decision if it remains in place. However, his handlers (if there are any) will need to educate him that high profile NFL earners need to play the public relations game and give the press access to them....its part of what earns that mega paycheck. But, he is not an employee yet, so no rules for him right now. Staying home with family seems OK by me. I think, though, that this marks him again as somebody who will have trouble adjusting to be a mega millionaire. Whoever drafts him will need to give him the Dez Bryant treatment ala the Cowboys.

re-read your post through the lens of a team selecting a qb and handing him $20m+ fully guaranteed, including about 15m signing bonus up front.

its his day but its nice when the face of the franchise can be trusted to be a part of the teams biggest moments.

Good point. At the combine everything was about "leader of the team" and "face of the franchise"...I wonder how this will work?

The face of the franchise is going to have more than enough exposure for himself and the franchise at the team's facility the next day or so. If he attends the draft the stories about his "incidents" will be the focus of attention. Why put yourself in that ugly spin machine?

Don't be surprised if the Bucs prefer not having him in Chicago so that they also don't have to contend with an ugly storyline that is going to be magnified on draft night. In the end if Winston and his advisors don't want to be there for obvious uncomfortable reasons then he shouldn't have to be there.

The face of the franchise is going to have more than enough exposure for himself and the franchise at the team's facility the next day or so. If he attends the draft the stories about his "incidents" will be the focus of attention. Why put yourself in that ugly spin machine?

Don't be surprised if the Bucs prefer not having him in Chicago so that they also don't have to contend with an ugly storyline that is going to be magnified on draft night. In the end if Winston and his advisors don't want to be there for obvious uncomfortable reasons then he shouldn't have to be there.

It didn't seem to be an issue at the combine. He seemed to win over the media at his press conference.

He's not going to go #1 overall. He doesn't want the Johnny Manziel treatment, where they focus the cameras on him til somebody picks him.

THAT is probably the best reason. if hes anticipated to be #1 (or even top 5-10) he should be there. i understand not wanting to be the Johnny football, geno smith.... but at #1 he should be there with a big smile on his face telling all the reporters about why hes the most mature, charismatic, lovable guy around.

THAT is probably the best reason. if hes anticipated to be #1 (or even top 5-10) he should be there. i understand not wanting to be the Johnny football, geno smith.... but at #1 he should be there with a big smile on his face telling all the reporters about why hes the most mature, charismatic, lovable (consentual or otherwise) guy around.

fixed it for you!

just another reason to give a team pause for concern....

here is someones #1 pick, the new face of a franchise stiffing the photo op and public relations responsibilities with shaking the commissioners hand, wearing the team hat and holding up the jersey, etc.....