Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

Ok, so then...explain what Buffalo is gaining by waiting until Miami clears enough cap space to keep him?

My opinion on Buffalo's handling of the situation has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on here.

This is ALL there is to understand about Charles Clay and his situation...

"Charles Clay is a restricted free agent, Miami retained his rights on the transition tag. Another team can sign him for at least $7M+, and Miami has 5 days to match that offer from the time it is made. If they do not match it, then Clay goes to the team who put in the offer. If they do match it, he stays in Miami."

What is Clay was offered a contract by the Bills and he hasn't signed it? Is that the Bills fault?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are, it was reported all day yesterday...they want Cameron and Clay for Lazor's offense, as they have plans for a Gronk/Wright duo.

(Forgot the Miami reporter who tweeted that exact idea...but there is this from another Miami reporter.)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-perkins-im-almost-sold-on-dolphins-pairing-tes-charles-clay-and-jordan-cameron-20150313-story.html

It's crazy that they will 15M tied in TEs.

If I have a bill to pay, and I can have either 5 days or a couple weeks to figure out how to pay it...I will take the extra time, because it is beneficial to me, not the bill collector.

Miami is benefitting from the extra time. Bottom line. No matter what happens, they WILL know how much the offer sheet is for and have time to figure it out and match it.

I won't be surprised to see him re-signed in Miami before Buffalo evens puts an offer sheet on the table, that is the point...huge waste of time and resources.

Did I?

"Their biggest mistake was letting him leave *WITHOUT AN OFFER*...there is zero chance they get him now."

Try again.

Oh, so it's "without an offer" that gives your statement a whole new profound level of depth? I don't agree.

Clay was on Miami's books for the $7m transitional FA amount the moment they tagged him before FAgency even began. The trades of Ellerbe and Wallace have less to do with being able to re-sign Clay than it does with them wanting to acquire other players; chiefly, I suspect, Evan Mathis. It would be easier for Miami to juggle cap space when they know the EXACT amount of an offer for Clay. Why make it easier for them while they go through these machinations of their roster?

The bigger question is how much more do the Bills want to go above the current $7m to get him? By waiting to see how much Miami is willing to clear, they will be in a much better position to hamstring them with specific amounts and contract language, fully knowing that Miami, even if they do nothing else, is ALREADY capstrapped for 2016. As it it, Miami has already committed to $7m for Clay and $15m for Jordan.

Sometimes you have to let the game come to you. If it's easier for some to just label us stupid, so be it. But there's a definite method to the madness. Sorry you don't appreciate that aspect of it.

GO BILLS!!!

It's crazy that they will 15M tied in TEs.

That's minimum, pending any offer sheet for Clay.

And of course they are gonna say that they are OK with it for Lazor's offense. Only one other team has ever committed more to their TEs. And if Miami wants to think Clay and Jordan are Gronk and Hernandez, I say let's sit back and enjoy that show.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh, so it's "without an offer" that gives your statement a whole new profound level of depth? I don't agree.

Clay was on Miami's books for the $7m transitional FA amount the moment they tagged him before FAgency even began. The trades of Ellerbe and Wallace have less to do with being able to re-sign Clay than it does with them wanting to acquire other players; chiefly, I suspect, Evan Mathis. It would be easier for Miami to juggle cap space when they know the EXACT amount of an offer for Clay. Why make it easier for them while they go through these machinations of their roster?

The bigger question is how much more do the Bills want to go above the current $7m to get him? By waiting to see how much Miami is willing to clear, they will be in a much better position to hamstring them with specific amounts and contract language, fully knowing that Miami, even if they do nothing else, is ALREADY capstrapped for 2016. As it it, Miami has already committed to $7m for Clay and $15m for Jordan.

Sometimes you have to let the game come to you. If it's easier for some to just label us stupid, so be it. But there's a definite method to the madness. Sorry you don't appreciate that aspect of it.

GO BILLS!!!

This is the Chess game Greggy was speaking to. I believe .

But i think that trading Wallace makes the cap issue mute , if Miami really does want to run two TEs as a feature. and we are out. and i am pissed about now over it. Where the hell is Gresham?

Is Hernandez out of jail yet ?

It's like trying to explain the theory of relativity to a nine year old.

careful, thats a slippery slope.

I assume you dont have kids?

Mine explain it to me. repeatedly. and wonder why i dont just " get it "

If I have a bill to pay, and I can have either 5 days or a couple weeks to figure out how to pay it...I will take the extra time, because it is beneficial to me, not the bill collector.Miami is benefitting from the extra time. Bottom line. No matter what happens, they WILL know how much the offer sheet is for and have time to figure it out and match it.I won't be surprised to see him re-signed in Miami before Buffalo evens puts an offer sheet on the table, that is the point...huge waste of time and resources.Did I?"Their biggest mistake was letting him leave *WITHOUT AN OFFER*...there is zero chance they get him now."Try again.

And again, you demonstrate you don't understand the subject being discussed. This is a terrible analogy that does nothing to illuminate the issue.

He may still end up in miami with a long term deal, but the roster purge they've undergone has been directly related to the game the Dolphins and bills are playing. The very game you have seemingly no understanding of despite folks trying to help you out.

And again, you demonstrate you don't understand the subject being discussed. This is a terrible analogy that does nothing to illuminate the issue.

He may still end up in miami with a long term deal, but the roster purge they've undergone has been directly related to the game the Dolphins and bills are playing. The very game you have seemingly no understanding of despite folks trying to help you out.

Forget it. He's still mad we didn't sign Tyson Clabo. You know, that last big FA nobody knew anything about until it was reported we were targeting him in FAgency. I mean, is there a chance in hell this kid is upset about Charles Clay if it wasn't reported we were interested? I doubt it.

I think Miami wants Mathis more than Clay, though. And I think the Bills may just want the same.

GO BILLS!!!

I completely understand it...there's not much to understand.

Charles Clay is a restricted free agent, Miami retained his rights on the transition tag. Another team can sign him for at least $7M+, and Miami has 5 days to match that offer from the time it is made. If they do not match it, then Clay goes to the team who put in the offer. If they do match it, he stays in Miami.

It's pretty easy to understand, actually...what is not easy to understand is why Buffalo didn't give him an offer sheet, what are they gaining by waiting? Nothing.

Meanwhile, Miami is getting the benefit of not being on a 5-day clock to match an offer, instead being able to focus their resources to reshaping their roster.

Offering something that was over Miamis cap limit was never a real thing. For one they already have 7 million paid for in their cap for clays tag. Throw in the extra couple million they already had and we weren't going to beat them that way unless we offered something insane and hamstrung ourselves.

Forget it. He's still mad we didn't sign Tyson Clabo. You know, that last big FA nobody knew anything about until it was reported we were targeting him in FAgency. I mean, is there a chance in hell this kid is upset about Charles Clay if it wasn't reported we were interested? I doubt it.

I think Miami wants Mathis more than Clay, though. And I think the Bills may just want the same.

GO BILLS!!!

:beer:

I know it's off subject but out of curiosity what do you think it'll take to get Mathis?