[closed]Charles Clay to Bills? - the sequel/trilogy

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Miami held the cards - everyone needed to wait until the Suh deal got finalized, and now by signing Cameron and still keeping the tag on Clay they are playing a game of chicken with Bills. They're trying to force the Bills to offer a big front loaded deal to Clay, which would hurt Bills chances to sign other FAs.

Sorry if this was brought up before, but couldn't the Dolphins be really screwed if NOBODY makes an offer to Clay? It's a gamble for them as much as us, they'd be in cap hell THIS season probably have to start cutting left and right

Sorry if this was brought up before, but couldn't the Dolphins be really screwed if NOBODY makes an offer to Clay? It's a gamble for them as much as us, they'd be in cap hell THIS season probably have to start cutting left and right

They can rescind the transition tag before Clay signs if it looks like no one will make an offer. But they want to force us to structure an unfriendly deal so they won't, yet.

There is no way a team that cap strapped is going to pay 2 TE's $15 a year+...just not happening...

This reminds me of what happened with Takeo Spikes...Bengals knew they weren't going to match and signed someone else instead...

They can rescind the transition tag before Clay signs if it looks like no one will make an offer. But they want to force us to structure an unfriendly deal so they won't, yet.

Do we really need to have an unfriendly structure though? Right now with Clay they are at 1m in cap space including draft picks. So say we get a cap hit of 8m this year, we can still balance it out over the remainder of the contract. It's just going to be unfriendly for year 1.

Do we really need to have an unfriendly structure though? Right now with Clay they are at 1m in cap space including draft picks. So say we get a cap hit of 8m this year, we can still balance it out over the remainder of the contract. It's just going to be unfriendly for year 1.

Their 1mil of cap space doesn't include Jordan Cameron yet btw

I don't believe we do. But they do have more cap saving moves they can make. I would want to call there bluff. I think it's just a rival trying to make it harder for us ploy. Nothing more.

I agree with you. Just offer an unfriendly deal in year 1, which we have room for. It doesn't have to be 10 + Mill as some have suggested. I don't think Miami will match anything 7+.

what's Clay set to make this year on the 'phins? What does he make this year if they rescind the tranny tag?

Reading the tea leaves a bit, Miami is going to be in some trouble cap-wise next year. They've already got $128M committed to 36 players, and that's not counting Jordan Cameron. Now, in order to fit Cameron under this year's cap, his cap number has to be $6M or less (that's without creating room to sign draft picks), which means his cap number next year will be approx. $9M (at least).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/cap/2016/

That means that they're at $137M for 37 players. Now, they will probably cut Dannell Ellerbe (likely post June 1st designation), which means his dead money will be reduced from $7M down to $3.5Mish, and they can probably restructure Mike Wallace to bring his number down from $13M, but that would kick a very large can into 2017 (cap number would be about $20M and nearly half of it would be bonus money).

So realistically, we're talking about Miami being at $130M+ for 37 players, and still having to address the contracts of Olivier Vernon and Mike Pouncey.

We can make any offer, not bound to the 7 mil this year. Of course, Clay has to agree with it and sign it.

I'd say give him a 5yr/37.5m with performance based bonuses. I think that would get it done if his asking price is high.

If they rescind the tag then he is an UFA. Then we have to compete with everyone.

Technically anyone can present him an offer sheet now - but don't want to pay that much, I assume. If that's the case, the Bills are ahead no matter what as they clearly want to pay him more than anyone else.

Technically anyone can present him an offer sheet now - but don't want to pay that much, I assume. If that's the case, the Bills are ahead no matter what as they clearly want to pay him more than anyone else.

And probably will.

Edited by The Wiz

I wonder if clay takes it personally the the fins are using him as a pawn. I get its all business etc, but a big ego could still resent this whether he should or not.

No matter your ego it can't feel good to be a pawn in another persons game.

Correct. Value to us isn't the same as value to a team that doesn't value a more hybrid tight end role. I think he will match whatever contract we give him with production. He will be a main piece in the misdirection Roman wants in his offense.