Okayest QB

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cinderella Brady wouldn't have lasted 3 years back in the 90's WEO and you damn well know it

Christ the NFL implemented 2 or 3 "Brady" rules to protect his puny self!

I thought about it but dissing Frank here seemed dangerous

Do you really believe that? Do you have any idea what Tom Brady's training regimen consists of?

I love that there is a word that doesn't really exist but everyone knows exactly what it means.

Where would Joe Ferguson fall?

kj

It depends on the helmet color.

We're talking OK starting quarterbacks. Frank was not an OK starting quarterback, but he was an excellent backup, which sounds like an insult, but it really isn't.

Off topic -- Frank Reich has to be the greatest backup QB of all time. I know other backups won Super Bowls, but did they stay backups for the same club, and for how long and what were their other successes (question?). Reich knew his role. He didn't starve to become the starter. He won regular season games and playoff games. And QB'd the Greatest Comeback In NFL History...then....won in Pittsburgh the following week 24-3 in a laugher. He then gladly stepped aside to allow Jimbo to beat the hell out of the Fins in Miami. Frank has quite a nice place in NFL history if you ask me.

It depends on the helmet color.

Off topic -- Frank Reich has to be the greatest backup QB of all time. I know other backups won Super Bowls, but did they stay backups for the same club, and for how long and what were their other successes (question?). Reich knew his role. He didn't starve to become the starter. He won regular season games and playoff games. And QB'd the Greatest Comeback In NFL History...then....won in Pittsburgh the following week 24-3 in a laugher. He then gladly stepped aside to allow Jimbo to beat the hell out of the Fins in Miami. Frank has quite a nice place in NFL history if you ask me.

A good backup QB is like the spotter for a sniper. They're there to help guide, and be able to take the shot in an emergency.

Do you really believe that? Do you have any idea what Tom Brady's training regimen consists of?

Yes.

QB's of today are protected by too many damn rules.

When Tom Brady got hit below the knees it became a NFL Rule.

You can't hit a QB who's sliding - relatively recent Rule change

You can't slap them on the helmet! again - relatively recent Rule change

Have you seen Tom take a dive (pretend he was hit hard?) to draw a flag?

Brady has been pampered and said pampering has led him to wins - #1 TUCK Rule

#2 - Brady lobbied with the league to control his balls.

How Tom Brady helped change rule for pre-game care of ...

and what happened after that??? The Patriots Became Nearly Fumble-Proof After a 2006 Rule

u mean this guy?

012512-NFL-Tom-Brady-Scouting-Pic-InsideTom-Brady-Gisele-Bundchen-beach.jpg

Romanowski would have eaten him alive, so would Lyle Alzado

and wait for this twice a year

Ndamukong-Suh-stomping-on-Packers-Evan-D

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

TJ yates was in a new stratosphere of okayness....3rd stringer miraculously started 5 games leading Texans to a playoff spot and win and barely losing to the Ravens who, would have gone to the dance if Lee Evans makes the catch.

For career okayness it's hard to beat Hasselbeck. Who was so consistantly average he was almost good.

Yes.

QB's of today are protected by too many damn rules.

When Tom Brady got hit below the knees it became a NFL Rule.

You can't hit a QB who's sliding - relatively recent Rule change

You can't slap them on the helmet! again - relatively recent Rule change

Have you seen Tom take a dive (pretend he was hit hard?) to draw a flag?

Brady has been pampered and said pampering has led him to wins - #1 TUCK Rule

#2 - Brady lobbied with the league to control his balls.

How Tom Brady helped change rule for pre-game care of ...

and what happened after that??? The Patriots Became Nearly Fumble-Proof After a 2006 Rule

u mean this guy?

012512-NFL-Tom-Brady-Scouting-Pic-InsideTom-Brady-Gisele-Bundchen-beach.jpg

Romanowski would have eaten him alive

Yes you are familiar with his workout regimen? I'm not saying that Tom Brady isn't a little prissy but that doesn't mean that if he played in an era that made it a little tougher on qbs that he would have been incapable of being an effective qb. This is a dumb argument because Tom Brady will never get to play in the 1980s. That being said, your constant whining about everything related to the patriots comes off as more than a little sour grapes. And lastly what is your point with those pictures? Do you have any idea how much better shape Tom Brady is in than a guy like jim kelly was? Jim kelly was known to do coke the night before games. Tom Brady literally won't even eat a bowl of ice cream. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Tommy goes to bed at 8:30 when mommy tells him to.

1. QB's in the 90's would get pummeled if they acted like a primadonna
  2. The rules have changed so that is has become a passing league - again you can't breathe on a QB w/o drawing a flag.
  3. When was the last time Tommy wasn't on an injury list or in a walking boot in the offseason?
  4. WTF does doing coke at night have to do with being is shape? saying that my friend is ignorance.

• Jim Kelly broke a guys leg tackling him after he was intercepted!! Don't mess with Kelly Tough

This is Tommy sliding afraid of getting touched!!! He got a $10K fine for it

10067641_H9672839-600x409.jpg

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I don't disagree with anything you said whatsoever. However that doesn't mean that if Aaron Rodgers played in Bernie Kosar's day, although his numbers wouldn't be quite as spectacular, that he still wouldn't be way better than Bernie Kosar.

Rodgers has 10x the talent of Kosar. This is a non-issue.

This is a topic which is fun to discuss but impossible to solve. For example, Rodgers is also more talented that Ken O'Brien or Simms were, but he does seem a bit fragile compared to them, let alone Kelly, Stabler and Bradshaw, wouldn't you say?

Another HUGE difference is that WRs and TEs own the middle these days. QBs can send receivers there without worrying as much about them getting paralyzed or killed. Players such as Atwater, Lott, Tatum and many other safeties were extremely dangerous people. In a few years people will see these players on film and shudder in horror at the thought of such violence.

Again, Rodgers has all the talent in the world, but Chris Chandler was talented as well and he got destroyed in those days.

Cinderella Brady wouldn't have lasted 3 years back in the 90's WEO and you damn well know it

Christ the NFL implemented 2 or 3 "Brady" rules to protect his puny self!

Agree to a point.

Brady is a great QB. He does get some calls to go his way but he is a tremendously talented guy with an incredible work ethic. I think he would have made it in any time period

Rodgers has 10x the talent of Kosar. This is a non-issue.

This is a topic which is fun to discuss but impossible to solve. For example, Rodgers is also more talented that Ken O'Brien or Simms were, but he does seem a bit fragile compared to them, let alone Kelly, Stabler and Bradshaw, wouldn't you say?

Another HUGE difference is that WRs and TEs own the middle these days. QBs can send receivers there without worrying as much about them getting paralyzed or killed. Players such as Atwater, Lott, Tatum and many other safeties were extremely dangerous people. In a few years people will see these players on film and shudder in horror at the thought of such violence.

Again, Rodgers has all the talent in the world, but Chris Chandler was talented as well and he got destroyed in those days.

All you can do is compare a QB to his respective era. I love/loved NFL in the 80's more than anyone and wax nostalgic about it so much that it annoys my friends but I don't believe that players back then were magically better and/or tougher. Was the game tougher? Yes it was. The players also did not take care of their bodies the way they do now.

Tommy goes to bed at 8:30 when mommy tells him to.

1. QB's in the 90's would get pummeled if they acted like a primadonna
  2. The rules have changed so that is has become a passing league - again you can't breathe on a QB w/o drawing a flag.
  3. When was the last time Tommy wasn't on an injury list or in a walking boot in the offseason?
  4. WTF does doing coke at night have to do with being is shape? saying that my friend is ignorance.

• Jim Kelly broke a guys leg tackling him after he was intercepted!! Don't mess with Kelly Tough

This is Tommy sliding afraid of getting touched!!! He got a $10K fine for it

10067641_H9672839-600x409.jpg

Alright you win. The Buffalo Bills are all tough guys who eat dirt for breakfast and play through broken collarbones and all the New England Patriots are little fairy princesses who only win because they cheat. And it's always been that way. We get it. And also dude, did you just suggest that doing coke the night before games would not affect your ability to be in shape? Have you ever done coke one night and then attempted to participate in an athletic event the next day?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

See! Just give EJ 8 more years! Have some patience!

Remember the Todd Collins re-birth in Chicago? He was a backup in KC for close to 10 years, and never took a snap in a regular season game...goes to hold a clipboard in Wahsington...Campbell goes down, and Collins dusts off the arm, and played pretty well for a few weeks....he spent the following off-season as a "hot" QB FA prospect...kind of worked out like Luke McCown when he went to Tampa.

Edited by Buftex

If it makes you feel better OK era to era. of the QB's Aaron is tougher than Brady, and when Suh stomps on him 2 games a year we shall see how he fares.

Who's tougher than Brady?

Flacco, Wilson, Tannehil, Roethglisburger, Breese, the list goes on for at least 20 more QB's

All you can do is compare a QB to his respective era. I love/loved NFL in the 80's more than anyone and wax nostalgic about it so much that it annoys my friends but I don't believe that players back then were magically better and/or tougher. Was the game tougher? Yes it was. The players also did not take care of their bodies the way they do now.

Alright you win. The Buffalo Bills are all tough guys who eat dirt for breakfast and play through broken collarbones and all the New England Patriots are little fairy princesses who only win because they cheat. And it's always been that way. We get it.

I'd have to say one of the 3 Hasselbecks (Matt, Tim, Trent Dilfer)

Matt Hasselbeck was my first thought. 3 probowls, 6 playoff appearances, career decent numbers in all categories.

Second to Matt, Rich Gannon? 4 probowls, 2x all pro, 6 playoff appearances over 15 years and again, career decent numbers.

What did Tim ever do in this league?

I know Trent won that Superbowl, but when a guy in his career throws more picks than TDs is it right to call him "OK"?

Edited by Hopeful

I'm not going to read this whole thread because...well because I'm not into wasting my time. However am I the only one that whenever I see it I think it says Gayest QB?

Paging Sigmund Freud

This gets repeated here all the time, yet is there data to state that QBs now get hit less often than they did in the 90's? Did the QBs back then trow less because they were afraid to get hit?

Have roughing the passer "rules" decreased the number of hits QBs take? Have the number of penalties gone up every year since (whenever) they changed?

Get back to us on this...

More that receivers are given 5 yard cushions and anything physical is penalty. This makes passing so much easier and is a major advantage today. Matt Schaub has multiple 4,000 seasons. Matt Schaub.

And if you think Tom Brady took the kind of hits Jim Kelly did, I don't what to tell you. I get why they've switche'd the rules but this is a much, much, much easier league for Qbs.