Letter to Iran

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Jimmy Carter did WHAT when Bush Sr. was president?

This past week Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize. Last May HNN published an excerpt about President Carter from A World Transformed (1998), the memoir written jointly by President George Herbert Walker Bush and General Brent Scowcroft, his national security advisor. General Scowcroft is credited in the book as the author of the excerpt, which concerns events leading up to the passage of UN resolution 678 on November 29, 1990. The resolution gave Iraq an ultimatum: get out of Kuwait by January 15 or face military action.

In the midst of this careful diplomacy, former President Jimmy Carter wrote the members of the [uN] Security Council asking them not to support the resolution. He argued that the costs in huiman life and the economic consequences, not to mention the permanent destabilization oif the Middle East, were too high and unnecessary,"unless all peaceful resolution efforts are first exhausted." He called for the UN to mandate a"good faith" negotiation with the Iraqi leaders to consider their concerns, and to ask the Arabs to try to work out a peaceful solution,"without any restraint on their agenda." It was an unbelieveable letter, asking the other members of the council to vote against his own country. We found out about it only when one of the recipients sent us a copy. Carter later acknowl;edged he had sent the letter, but claimed he had told President Bush what he was doing. He did send the President a similar one, but without mentioning he had also lobbied the President's foreign colleagues. It seemed to me that if there was ever a violation of the Logan Act prohibiting diplomacy by private citizens, this was it. President Bush was furious at this interference in the conduct of his foreign policy and the deliberate attempt to undermine it, but told me just to let it drop.

That's actually Carlos Santana a well known 60's commie hippy.

I hate hippy commies.

I don't think the douchey guy and Santana are shaking hand at all. I think they are standing in solidarity to block the snooty rich couple from making their tee time or tennis match.

I bet the secretariat groundskeepers didn't have the grass court ready to go in time.

As always, follow the money trail ....

IMMEDIATELY AFTER LAUNCHING EFFORT TO SCUTTLE IRAN DEAL, SENATOR TOM COTTON TO MEET WITH DEFENSE CONTRACTORS

In an open letter organized by freshman Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., 47 Senate Republicans today warned the leaders of Iran that any nuclear deal reached with President Barack Obama could expire as soon as he leaves office.

Tomorrow, 24 hours later, Cotton will appear at an “Off the Record and strictly Non-Attribution” event with the National Defense Industrial Association, a lobbying and professional group for defense contractors.

The NDIA is composed of executives from major military businesses such as Northrop Grumman, L-3 Communications, ManTech International, Boeing, Oshkosh Defense and Booz Allen Hamilton, among other firms.

Cotton strongly advocates higher defense spending and a more aggressive foreign policy. As The New Republic’s David Ramsey noted, “Pick a topic — Syria, Iran, Russia, ISIS, drones, NSA snooping — and Cotton can be found at the hawkish outer edge of the debate…During his senate campaign, he told a tele-townhall that ISIS and Mexican drug cartels joining forces to attack Arkansas was an ‘urgent problem.'”

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/03/09/upon-launching-effort-scuttle-iran-deal-senator-tom-cotton-meets-defense-contractors/

Edited by JTSP

Ahhh, the well thought out, nuanced response from the right. You guys ever give two seconds to why Iran is where they are? Could it be that in the 50's when Iran was one of the most modern open ME countries - we - the exceptional USA overthrew a democratically elected government and installed the Shah - who was our puppet. I can't believe they don't like us....sheesh they want nuclear warheads - why would that be? Could it be we invaded - on BS information - the countries that surround them?

Other than the hostages - which were returned unharmed - someone tell me what Iran has done to the US?

Yes FU Iran....

Ahhh, the well thought out, nuanced response from the right. You guys ever give two seconds to why Iran is where they are? Could it be that in the 50's when Iran was one of the most modern open ME countries - we - the exceptional USA overthrew a democratically elected government and installed the Shah - who was our puppet. I can't believe they don't like us....sheesh they want nuclear warheads - why would that be? Could it be we invaded - on BS information - the countries that surround them?

Other than the hostages - which were returned unharmed - someone tell me what Iran has done to the US?

Yes FU Iran....

Who gives a !@#$ if they like us or not? They need to toe the line.

Yes FU Iran....

Ahhh, the poster who claims he is not a liberal posts another liberal post deriding the right. Are hissy fits a natural liberal right?

Yes FU Iran....

We were mean to Iran, so they hate us and that's why we should give them nuclear weapons? Do you even read what you write?

Redistribution of nukes so the military landscape of the world is "fair?"

Yes FU Iran....

:wallbash: