Star Wars question

frogger

I am about to introduce Star Wars to my girlfriend's son. Since I am older, I started with a new hope, Empire and Return, THEN started episode 1...my question is should I start with episode one or should I start with 4-6?

I had never watched Star Wars until about 3 or 4 years ago with my boys. We went 1-6 and I'm so glad we did it that way. Makes the most sense chronologically.

But it completely ruins the reveal in Empire.

Just recently went through all six with my 5&7 year olds and I asked myself the same question. In the end I went 4-6, then 1-3. The build up in 5 between Luke and Vader is probably the defining moment of the series and you lose its power if you already know the backstory. When we finished 6 and I told the kids that there were 3 more and it was about how Darth Vader became Darth Vader they couldn't wait. Of course they loved it and we now await the next installment later this year. It will be amazing for all of us to watch the first run of a Star Wars together across generations. Hopefully it's still ok for their ages.

Start with 4 and 5, then hop back and do the first three as though they're a flashback to Vader's story, then 6.

this is exactly why you gotta go 4-5-1-2-3-6

That's an interesting order. My brother just started watching these with his son last week. I know he started with Star Wars (that's the name I stick with, it annoys me that they have renamed it). I doubt he'll get into the prequels because his son might be a bit young for the burning alive in the volcano part of 6, but I might suggest that order to him.