Joe B QB take

vegas55

I respect everything you said here. Although I never said I want him to be cut if he performs poorly in camp. I'm just preparing people to understand that it is a real possibility. But yeah, if he is abysmal in camp and the preseason again, I can't say that it would be outrageous for them to cut him outright. I would support it. I'm not rooting for it though.

I respect your opinion too. Unlike the classic QB fights here, this is going to be a weird year for QB debates.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw, two years ago, that thad had a much better arm than EJ, I knew EJ can't make it in the league. LACK OF ACCURACY!!! He has a strong arm, just can't hit a target consistently downfield. (season ticket holder, have seen every home game in person) EJ misses bigtime on longer throws 20 yds or more. Yes, he hits a few, but consistently missing by 5 yards or more. This lack of skill is unteachable.....and I am in the camp there will be another signee (hoping Locker) and EJ will be gone.

I happen to totally agree with this take. Thad came in and took shots downfield for us. EJ had hit some nice long ones with his lofted rainbows (Goodwin vs. Jets), but his demonstrated lack of willingness to fire balls into seam routes or out patterns make me convinced he will never magically "get it" as many delusionists are hoping.

Whaley survived his whiff, Rex is the new sheriff in town and will not be beholden to a poor choice three drafts ago.

I will be shocked if EJ beats Cassel and/or anyone out. Rex will NOT give him the job by default on a wing and a prayer.

I happen to totally agree with this take. Thad came in and took shots downfield for us. EJ had hit some nice long ones with his lofted rainbows (Goodwin vs. Jets), but his demonstrated lack of willingness to fire balls into seam routes or out patterns make me convinced he will never magically "get it" as many delusionists are hoping.

Whaley survived his whiff, Rex is the new sheriff in town and will not be beholden to a poor choice three drafts ago.

I will be shocked if EJ beats Cassel and/or anyone out. Rex will NOT give him the job by default on a wing and a prayer.

I am not an EJ basher or lover. But one thing that makes me wonder if he can be better with different coaching. It seemed to me whenever any QB on this team made a mistake of a turnover all of a sudden their play would go from having a good game to sheeting the bed. To me Moron was so worried about turnovers that after they happened he had his QBs play scared. All of them not just EJ but Thad, Orton, Tuel every single one of them

So Bills "beat" reporter Joe B weighed in on WGR with his take on QB situation. His take was that the Bills would still pursue one of top free agent QBs available (Locker, Sanchez) even after the Cassell trade. Of course, as is always the case, this was just his opinion, and not based on any inside source within the organization. This is because Joe B has no sources within the Bills organization. He has never developed any.

But his take is ridiculous and even Sal and Bulldog were taken aback. If he knew anything about football he would realize that it is simply impossible for a team to fairly evaluate three QBs. There are not enough reps in practice, and not enough preseason games to completely evaluate three QBs. He should know this. And bringing in one of these QBs would mean that the Bills would be committing in excess of 10 million dollars to the QB position, without having a top flight, clear cut starter. Ridiculous.

I wish Joe B would develop some actual inside sources/information and spare us his opinions, which are no better or worse than your average drunk er er fan sitting at a local watering hole.

So you don't expect the Bills to do the unexpected? Right!

I am not an EJ basher or lover. But one thing that makes me wonder if he can be better with different coaching. It seemed to me whenever any QB on this team made a mistake of a turnover all of a sudden their play would go from having a good game to sheeting the bed. To me Moron was so worried about turnovers that after they happened he had his QBs play scared. All of them not just EJ but Thad, Orton, Tuel every single one of them

Want to ensure a young NFL QB doesn't develop? Tell him not to ever turn the ball over. Marrone was such an idiot.

Here's hoping the looseness of Rex rubs off on Manuel and the offense and they play without fear.

Sure, coaching plays into it, but it is only an excuse as to why EJ has so many question marks at this point in time.
I am pessimistic on EJ's ability to be a leader (in general), and I question his potential QB effectiveness when his in-game mechanics are so poor so often. Two major strikes against him ever being good enough for us or anyone.
I feel the same way I did once JP started flaming out here. He laid an awful egg at Pittsburgh, and when the postgame questioning got tough, he took zero responsibility. At that point, he was dead to me.
EJ is dead to me for the diffferent reasons mentioned above. And now that CJ mentioned (on his last unofficial day as a Bill) that EJ is too buddy buddy with guys ... that is another HUGE red flag to me. Orton came in here and told WRs where he expected them to be - he knew the position and demanded what he needed. These same guys were on the verge of a mutiny against their lackluster deer-in-the-headlights greenhorn who was throwing balls that were getting them killed.
In terms of leadership, you can always ease off someone if you have demanded/established respect from the get-go. But you can almost never start getting tougher on guys once you've established yourself as incompetent and/or a pushover type of leader/boss/friend. It's a steep climb, and resistance is then built-in every step of the way.
In this way, EJ is very much like RoJo, JP, and Trentative before him. Just not a good enough leader of grown men. Marrone punted quickly (not surprisingly) ... and I think Rex will too.

My opinion is that if the Bills do bring in another QB (Locker, Sanchez,etc.) EJ will be given his walking papers. Bringing in Cassell to push EJ makes sense, bringing in a second guy indicates what they really think about EJ.

My opinion is that if the Bills do bring in another QB (Locker, Sanchez,etc.) EJ will be given his walking papers. Bringing in Cassell to push EJ makes sense, bringing in a second guy indicates what they really think about EJ.

IMO, this is exactly correct.

There is no way they will have recruited 2 guys to come in and babysit EJ.

If they bring in another fairly experienced FA, and it's an open competition (& why wouldn't it be) he's gone.

If they draft a guy, EJ stands a slightly better chance of seeing his week 1 game check, but not by much.

Joe B was telling an incredulous Howard this morning that even if EJ does not earn the job, it's unlikely he'd be cut, because "they don't operate that way".

I don't buy that at all. He is on thin ice.

So Bills "beat" reporter Joe B weighed in on WGR with his take on QB situation. His take was that the Bills would still pursue one of top free agent QBs available (Locker, Sanchez) even after the Cassell trade. Of course, as is always the case, this was just his opinion, and not based on any inside source within the organization. This is because Joe B has no sources within the Bills organization. He has never developed any.

But his take is ridiculous and even Sal and Bulldog were taken aback. If he knew anything about football he would realize that it is simply impossible for a team to fairly evaluate three QBs. There are not enough reps in practice, and not enough preseason games to completely evaluate three QBs. He should know this. And bringing in one of these QBs would mean that the Bills would be committing in excess of 10 million dollars to the QB position, without having a top flight, clear cut starter. Ridiculous.

I wish Joe B would develop some actual inside sources/information and spare us his opinions, which are no better or worse than your average drunk er er fan sitting at a local watering hole.

He should contact Leroi

Shhhh...you'll ruin the perception that because Doug Marrone is now an offensive line/assistant head coach for Jacksonville that he affected EJ's accuracy in 7 on 7 drills with no pads and that EJ is necessarily going to look better this year because the new job Doug Marrone took is kind of funny.

Thanks for pointing me at this thread, metz_lives. You're right, there was some better discussion.

The thing that bothers me is that all 3 QB (Lewis, Tuel, and EJ) appeared to regress. Lewis who had looked like a competent backup the previous season looked so gawedawful the Turk came for him, Tuel not much better. And the line regressed/looked incompetent.

I kind of wonder if Marrone had become the sort of toxic personality who makes everyone question and doubt themselves and bring out their worst performance? I don't know, I'm just speculating. Someone who knew him commented that "everyone changes when they become a HC, the most successful are those who change the least or change back the most quickly"

No coach will ever be as invested in EJ's success as Doug Marrone was.

Let that one sink in.

EJ was Marrone's QB. Marrone benched him and then quit his job.

I could be wrong, but I think the only person whose success Marrone was invested in was his own.

That is one way to look at it. That is not a fact, and not at all how I see what happened.

How I see is was Buddy Nix was determined not to leave the team without a franchise QB. He made the EJ pick. Marrone and Whaley went along with it. Perhaps they agreed perhaps they liked another guy.

Neither of them thought EJ was ready right away. They described him as raw. They brought in a veteran to play and for EJ to watch. It was a terrible move in retrospect only because Kolb was an injury waiting to happen and didn't disappoint.

Then two unforeseen things happened. Whaley traded for a veteran backup in Thad Lewis and Marrone fell in puppy love with Jeff Tuel. Kolb was out for the season. EJ was forced to play. EJ got hurt three times. Lewis was forced to play and played surprisingly well. Then he got hurt. Marrone's love toy got some experience.

In the off season, Marrone still had his love toy and Lewis was thought to be able to improve. He was very smart and didn't have training camp. Both Marrone and Whaley decided that rather than bring in a crappy veteran to battle it out and pressure EJ and take reps from him, as there was NO GOOD CHOICE available at all (Vick and McCown were the only ones, neither was any good, and both wanted a good chance or assurance to start), they would bank on Lewis being a decent backup and surrounding EJ with good WR and RBs.

Unfortunately, in OTAs it became very apparent that Lewis did not improve, he regressed. Tuel did not improve, he regressed. IMO, it was Whaley who pulled the plug and went after Orton when training camp started. Lewis and Tuel both sucked in camp and preseason. They courted Orton and then signed him to either be a backup or starter if EJ sucked. EJ didn't have a good camp or preseason either. But Orton was better than anyone they could have signed in the offseason and there was no chance he was going to sign with anyone until the reg season started. So they cut Lewis, signed Palmer until they had Orton locked up (I think they knew 90% likelihood they would sign him on eve of season) and then when EJ played so horrible, Marrone pulled the plug.

Of course we're all speculating but this pretty much matches what I think happened. It was reported at the time that the Bills had been pursuing Orton since TC opened but couldn't close the deal with him until just before the season opened (Orton not wanting to interrupt whatever it was he was doing).

And again...while any player can regress, it's very odd to me that all 3 QB regressed AND the OL with 4 of the same 5 players (only mixed around) was so awful.

I guess we'll see this season.

Just to try and get off the EJ, Marrone treadmill. Why does anyone think the Bill should invest another $4-5 mil in another veteran QB? Far more good WBs are acquired through the draft.

Just to point out that there are several tiers of FA QB available and while most of the "name" QB might cost a couple million, there are some mid-round draft choices who have been quietly sitting around as backups who can be signed for vet minimum or less.

IMO, this is exactly correct.

There is no way they will have recruited 2 guys to come in and babysit EJ.

If they bring in another fairly experienced FA, and it's an open competition (& why wouldn't it be) he's gone.

If they draft a guy, EJ stands a slightly better chance of seeing his week 1 game check, but not by much.

Joe B was telling an incredulous Howard this morning that even if EJ does not earn the job, it's unlikely he'd be cut, because "they don't operate that way".

I don't buy that at all. He is on thin ice.

I agree. I don't think E.J. would be cut but A trade similar to the one where Jacksonville dumped Gabbert is likely.

I agree. I don't think E.J. would be cut but A trade similar to the one where Jacksonville dumped Gabbert is likely.

You may be right, but then again Jax dumped Gabbert after he started his 3rd season with 7 interceptions and 1 TD in 3 games.

If EJ does that, I can see him being slung out the door PDQ. I may be wrong, but I don't think we're there yet.

I don't thinkt the Bills are done at QB.

Adding Cassel just helped to bring in a vet guy who capable of competing with EJ and starting.

I think the Bills are not satisfied with what they have. The problem is that they only have so much money AND the FA QB crop is not that good this year.

I'd like to to see them add a vet via trade or FA rather than draft a project guy like Petty or Grayson.

I'd love to see EJ emerge as the starter after a fair competition, but I'm willing to root for whichever QB can help the Bills to win now.

Having three viable QBs on the roster is not too many as far as I'm concerned.

I happen to totally agree with this take. Thad, and even TUEL, came in and took shots downfield for us. EJ had hit some nice long ones with his lofted rainbows (Goodwin vs. Jets), but his demonstrated lack of willingness to fire balls into seam routes or out patterns make me convinced he will never magically "get it" as many delusionists are hoping.

Supplemented, not fixed, your post. This post doesnt need fixing.

Joe B does his homework. He is one of the few local media types who does. Not that he is correct every time, but he is a true professional.

Interesting first post.

Welcome to the board.

Joe B does his homework. He is one of the few local media types who does. Not that he is correct every time, but he is a true professional.

He does and he's a great numbers and fact guy, which will probably make him a good news sportscaster. It's his opinions that are terrible, but that can be said for a lot of sports commentators...