Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

Please point these people out. I haven't seen them. But Cassel brings that mentor/backup to EJ the Bills have needed since day one, and essentially replaces Orton on the roster. That's all I was looking for.

+1

I think cassel will start

as the #1 bench warmer / mentor

finished it for you :lol:

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Cassel wins out, then we have a guy who can manage games with a strong D and run offense, as we've seen in the past. That's not a bad base level.

If EJ wins out, then we are in even better condition.

Win win, really.

Please point these people out. I haven't seen them. But Cassel brings that mentor/backup to EJ the Bills have needed since day one, and essentially replaces Orton on the roster. That's all I was looking for.

Well, you see, they haven't been, not a single one.

But...people are already setting themselves for the "I told you so" posts that will begin in training camp (if not before).

Untrue. Cassel was the backup for Ponder while he got his "development" year. He was, without question, better than Ponder. Also, Cassel was the original starter for 2014.

Cassel will start, we will run the ball 30+ times a game, and we'll get to the playoffs.

Cassell was a Chief for Ponders first two years as a Viking. I think some EJ haters here just don't know how bad Cassell is. However, since he isn't Manuel they are perfectly fine with him starting. According to recent stats...

Cassell's average stats last two years:

58% completion
170 YPG
72 rating
11 YPC
Cassell's last 14 games started: 14 TDs (all passing)
Manuel's average stats last two years:
58% completion
172 YPG
78 rating
11 YPC
Manuel's last 14 games started (career starts): 19 TDs (16 passing/3 rushing)

Cassell will not prove he's good enough to be the starter over Manuel. IMO Cassell is plan B if Manuel melts down again. I'm not saying that Manuel is good or will be good. I'm just pointing out recent stats that are relevant to how each player is right now and not how they were 5 years ago.

Edited by 1billsfan

meh is hem spelled backwards

Well, that's just plain yllis.

Cassell was a Chief for Ponders first two years as a Viking. I think some EJ haters here just don't how bad Cassell is. However, since he isn't Manuel they are perfectly fine with him starting. According to recent stats...

Cassell will not prove he's good enough to be the starter over Manuel. IMO Cassell is plan B if Manuel melts down again. I'm not saying that Manuel is good or will be good. I'm just pointing out recent stats that are relevant to how each player is right now and not how they were 5 years ago.

There is a ton of hate for EJ on this board, some of it is just plain irrational.

Maroon and Hack-it did him no favors either. That Watt pick 6 was no where nearly as bad as Sanchize's butt fumble. But it cost EJ about the same.

The best thing about the 2014 season is that it's over and Maroon found his true calling as a position coach for a perennial loser and his sucky coaches are in exlie.

There is a ton of hate for EJ on this board, some of it is just plain irrational.

Maroon and Hack-it did him no favors either. That Watt pick 6 was no where nearly as bad as Sanchize's butt fumble. But it cost EJ about the same.

The best thing about the 2014 season is that it's over and Maroon found his true calling as a position coach for a perennial loser and his sucky coaches are in exlie.

I think that people confuse support for Manuel with thinking he's going to be good enough to be a long time solution. The support is only that he's not as bad as he's been made out to be. The haters make it seem like he was a disaster which is simply not true.

Like you, I think that there is hope in the form of a changing of the coaches from worst in the league to a guy who was the OC in the Superbowl a couple of years ago and he got there with a starter who has similar athletic traits as Manuel. I would imagine that Manuel will get better (how much, who knows) just on the change of coaches alone.

Cassell was a Chief for Ponders first two years as a Viking. I think some EJ haters here just don't know how bad Cassell is. However, since he isn't Manuel they are perfectly fine with him starting. According to recent stats...

58% completion

170 YPG

72 rating

11 YPC

58% completion

172 YPG

78 rating

11 YPC

None of what you said contradicts what I said, so I don't understand your point.

I think that people confuse support for Manuel with thinking he's going to be good enough to be a long time solution. The support is only that he's not as bad as he's been made out to be. The haters make it seem like he was a disaster which is simply not true.

Like you, I think that there is hope in the form of a changing of the coaches from worst in the league to a guy who was the OC in the Superbowl a couple of years ago and he got there with a starter who has similar athletic traits as Manuel. I would imagine that Manuel will get better (how much, who knows) just on the change of coaches alone.

Thank you. You get it. There are some here that are as obtuse and dense as a hockey puck.

58% completion
170 YPG
72 rating
11 YPC
58% completion
172 YPG
78 rating
11 YPC

EJ's stats are distorted by check downs, and garbage time plays. That being said, Cassel's 'highlights' on Bills.com are pretty scary looking, and not in a good way.....

EJ's stats are distorted by check downs, and garbage time plays. That being said, Cassel's 'highlights' on Bills.com are pretty scary looking, and not in a good way.....

Haha. All EJ's state don't count. He is the only qb who throws short passes, well except Brady who averaged 3 air yards per pass in the SB.

I don't think we'd be getting all that excited had we just traded for Chad Henne. going by the numbers, they're not that far off. The one thing I will say that Cassel has going for him is that he has performed adequately on a team that actually has a plan. I will still say that the best shot this team has is with an improved EJ, but I'm not fanboy enough to bet on that scenario. Cassel is a better plan B than Kolb was.

58% completion
170 YPG
72 rating
11 YPC
58% completion
172 YPG
78 rating
11 YPC

stop using FACTS :lol: :lol:

those who "believe: EJ is a failure won't change no matter what you tell them

passing stats are passing stats.

Haha. All EJ's state don't count. He is the only qb who throws short passes, well except Brady who averaged 3 air yards per pass in the SB.

more reality,,,, you'll blow their minds

Matt Cassel is much better at throwing the deep ball than EJ, and with Sammy running deep on play action passes, he may be the better choice.

Course I hope EJ has improved here and wins.

Edited by BlueFire

Matt Cassel is much better at throwing the deep ball than EJ, and with Sammy running deep on play action passes, he may be the better choice.

Course I hope EJ has improved here and wins.

Where did you get that from? I just went to Pro Football Reference and EJ has a better QB rating and completion percentage on 10+ yards to go throws.

Where did you get that from? I just went to Pro Football Reference and EJ has a better QB rating and completion percentage on 10+ yards to go throws.

let me see if I can find the article, Cassel had a 48% completion over 20 yards vs like 25% for EJ.

Edit: found it! It's from here: http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2384992-is-matt-cassel-the-best-starting-qb-option-for-the-buffalo-bills-in-2015

Edited by BlueFire

let me see if I can find the article, Cassel had a 48% completion over 20 yards vs like 25% for EJ.

Edit: found it! It's from here: http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2384992-is-matt-cassel-the-best-starting-qb-option-for-the-buffalo-bills-in-2015

Well I approve, that's a good skill to have. I think that either way it goes the Bills are not going to have a drama situation. If Cassell wins, then Manuel knows he'll probably get his shot again at some point during the season. If EJ wins, Cassell seems like a really nice guy who actually gave help to Bridgewater and will provide the same guidance to Manuel.