Any tablet owners have an opinion? My kid wants one

Asus makes solid Android tablets. Don't get anything less than Kit Kat (4.4)

Stay away from Windows 8.x tablets.

Edited by Show Me The Baby

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youngest daughter wants a tablet for her birthday and for our Spring Break trip (keeps her busy in the car).

Not going in the iPad direction.

Been told to buy the Nexus 7 (Google) because it has proven to be a reliable model and easy to use for a 9-10 yr old (games, reading, etc).

I see the Samsung tablets are very nice and have all the same features (except not Google).

Any of you guys have experience with these tablets? I guess I'm leaning toward the Nexus 7 but afraid the fact it is a 2013 model may cause problems.

Thanks in advance.

you have

procreated?

:cry:

I work on a lot of tablets, but haven't had any real experience with the Nexus. I really like the Samsung tablets, but despise all the crap Samsung packs them with. I know you can root them and get rid of the junk, but are you likely to to that? I'm not. Nexus are supposed to come without a lot of the unnecessary garbage installed, which is a plus, IMO.

As has been mentioned the Kindle Fire is very nice, for the price, but a bit limited. Still fine, IMO. And I would recommend all of these over an iPad, which I find horribly overrated. Once you get used to Android, it's tough to go back to an Apple device---again, IMO.

And the Apple shot has been fired over the bow! :lol: I am with you Deano! I am clinging to my Droid 4 w/full QWERTY! :lol: But, that's a phone.

If my iPad ever crapped the bed, I'd replace it with a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 in a heartbeat.

And the second volley! By Gug... An iSheeple traitor! Oh the horror in it all! Fight on men! Fight the good fight! :D

:) 3 times in fact.

Don't worry... Even having sex three times, it is still considered healthy! :nana: Look @ TRBJ, he's in for some big health risk! :D

Live long and prosper! :thumbsup:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

If my iPad ever crapped the bed, I'd replace it with a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 in a heartbeat.

I'm with you on that. But I wouldn't spend that kind of cash on a tablet for a kid.

And the Apple shot has been fired over the bow! :lol: I am with you Deano! I am clinging to my Droid 4 w/full QWERTY! :lol: But, that's a phone.

And the second volley! By Gug... An iSheeple traitor! Oh the horror in it all! Fight on men! Fight the good fight! :D

Don't worry... Even having sex three times, it is still considered healthy! :nana: Look @ TRBJ, he's in for some big health risk! :D

Live long and prosper! :thumbsup:

IMO Android has surpassed Apple for phones and tablets. But if you live in the Apple world, and submit to their marching orders, I understand if one sticks to their hardware. Just a matter of choice, I guess.

Find a refurb! Bought one for half that price and haven't had a problem

Knowing my luck, the refurbished one I get would be Beerball's old tablet but the technician would forget to delete his extensive library of David Cassidy jpegs and holiday crudite recipes.

Very good! People always thought my kids had phones early, I loved that they had them and could go out and explore and do stuff but had a phone so I could get them at any time. I mean loved it!

Tablets to me fine for kids....after all I know my 14 year old soon is only reading SI .com when he is locked up the bathroom with his.

Sure...Swimsuit edition.

Edited by Acantha

And you would immediately have app envy.

Windows has about 1/5 of the apps that Android or Apple has and I am being generous.

And you would immediately have app envy.

Windows has about 1/5 of the apps that Android or Apple has and I am being generous.

Seriously, who really gives a crap about "apps" when you have the power of a full computer? I'm so sick of downloading single-use apps whose functions are already handled by web browsers or actual full versions of real software. I don't need "The Score" on my computer. It's a bookmark in my browser, which is always open. Same for weather---and a number of other popular "apps". They make sense for a limited use tablet, but the Surface Pro is a full powered computer. It's really a very portable light-weight ultrabook that can, in a pinch, double as a tablet, IMO.

If I could only have one device, for travel, home and business, it would be the Surface Pro 3.

Seriously, who really gives a crap about "apps" when you have the power of a full computer? I'm so sick of downloading single-use apps whose functions are already handled by web browsers or actual full versions of real software. I don't need "The Score" on my computer. It's a bookmark in my browser, which is always open. Same for weather---and a number of other popular "apps". They make sense for a limited use tablet, but the Surface Pro is a full powered computer. It's really a very portable light-weight ultrabook that can, in a pinch, double as a tablet, IMO.

If I could only have one device, for travel, home and business, it would be the Surface Pro 3.

I kind of agree with you...but for a 10 year old it appears the Nexus or the Kindle will be the one (leaning toward the Kindle for price and what I read of the reviews).

I have only one device for travel home and business and it's an Asus Trio. Microsoft makes good stuff for business. Which is what I do. I am an MCSE. I deal with SQL Server, IIS, and Dynamics all day long. At the same time, my personal life is predominantly Google based, including my Phone. Trio gives me a great partition between my work life and personal life, while being able to use either seamlessly all on one device.

The Surface Pro 3 is a nice machine as long as you lead a Microsoft centric life. Most people don't.

At their age, I would think cheap off brand would be okay, as long as you can get the apps/games you want on it. I'm using an Acer 8" tablet I bought about a year ago, because I really only needed it for traveling, so as long as I could get Netflix, watch other movies I load on it, and get web access, I was happy.

At their age, I would think cheap off brand would be okay, as long as you can get the apps/games you want on it. I'm using an Acer 8" tablet I bought about a year ago, because I really only needed it for traveling, so as long as I could get Netflix, watch other movies I load on it, and get web access, I was happy.

Yeah, my thought as well. Don't need HD screen or max storage for kid. I think there are plenty of apps/games she will be able to use.