Any tablet owners have an opinion? My kid wants one

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of agree with you...but for a 10 year old it appears the Nexus or the Kindle will be the one (leaning toward the Kindle for price and what I read of the reviews).

As I said earlier, for a 10 year old the Surface is way too expensive, IMO and probably not nearly as fun as a tablet.

I have only one device for travel home and business and it's an Asus Trio. Microsoft makes good stuff for business. Which is what I do. I am an MCSE. I deal with SQL Server, IIS, and Dynamics all day long. At the same time, my personal life is predominantly Google based, including my Phone. Trio gives me a great partition between my work life and personal life, while being able to use either seamlessly all on one device.

The Surface Pro 3 is a nice machine as long as you lead a Microsoft centric life. Most people don't.

Another good choice. I can live without the apps (though I do like the Android tablets) but I guess some (I'm guessing mostly younger people) have become so used to them they can't live without them.

Another good choice. I can live without the apps (though I do like the Android tablets) but I guess some (I'm guessing mostly younger people) have become so used to them they can't live without them.

I get your perspective. As system admin, I have an appreciation for apps. It forces the developer to play within an ecosystem. He cannot add to the ecosystem by installing his own DLL's etc. Essentially you end up with a more secure and cleaner system. I have several App's that there is not a quick dirty equivalent for in a full windows system, such as Worldcard (Business card OCR) and Fing (Wireless network scanner) to name a couple.

Don't get me wrong, I could never live without a full Windows install.

I get your perspective. As system admin, I have an appreciation for apps. It forces the developer to play within an ecosystem. He cannot add to the ecosystem by installing his own DLL's etc. Essentially you end up with a more secure and cleaner system. I have several App's that there is not a quick dirty equivalent for in a full windows system, such as Worldcard (Business card OCR) and Fing (Wireless network scanner) to name a couple.

Don't get me wrong, I could never live without a full Windows install.

Can't argue with that. It demonstrates something I'm constantly telling my clients, when they ask me "what's the best ____". I try to explain, what's best, depends heavily on what it's being used for, by whom and in what environment. Then you have to factor in budget and other considerations. There is no "Best".