Any tablet owners have an opinion? My kid wants one

Youngest daughter wants a tablet for her birthday and for our Spring Break trip (keeps her busy in the car).

Not going in the iPad direction.

Been told to buy the Nexus 7 (Google) because it has proven to be a reliable model and easy to use for a 9-10 yr old (games, reading, etc).

I see the Samsung tablets are very nice and have all the same features (except not Google).

Any of you guys have experience with these tablets? I guess I'm leaning toward the Nexus 7 but afraid the fact it is a 2013 model may cause problems.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Kindle Fire HDX. Excellent tablet that I've had for over a year now, no problems whatsoever. It's fast, lots of content available, and good parental controls available if you're into that sort of thing.

Edited by LeviF91

I have the Kindle Fire HDX. Excellent tablet that I've had for over a year now, no problems whatsoever. It's fast, lots of content available, and good parental controls available if you're into that sort of thing.

Can we still get apps at the Google store for her (she plays some games). It is able to sign into Netflix and download books right? I also see on the customer reviews that it has camera front and back to chat with us, etc. Sooo the Kindle is a possibility now.

Can we still get apps at the Google store for her (she plays some games). It is able to sign into Netflix and download books right? I also see on the customer reviews that it has camera front and back to chat with us, etc. Sooo the Kindle is a possibility now.

Getting the Google Play apps is a bit tricky, but possible. The Amazon store has a ton of apps, and since it's an Android device there's a lot of crossover between both marketplaces. But if the Google Play store is a real sticking point you'd probably want to go elsewhere with your cash.

Yes, it has a Netflix app that you can sign into, and downloading books is remarkably easy. I can actually buy ebooks on my laptop on Amazon and have them delivered to my tablet.

Edited by LeviF91

Getting the Google Play apps is a bit tricky, but possible. The Amazon store has a ton of apps, and since it's an Android device there's a lot of crossover between both marketplaces. But if the Google Play store is a real sticking point you'd probably want to go elsewhere with your cash.

Yes, it has a Netflix app that you can sign into, and downloading books is remarkably easy. I can actually buy ebooks on my laptop on Amazon and have them delivered to my tablet.

Thanks Levi. The Google Play isn't a huge issue as long as she can get some of her games, she's ok. Books, Netflix, etc is all good for her.

my daughter has a first generation Nexus 7 and it still works excellent. Google did drop the Nexus 7 from its online store but you can get used ones on Ebay, or new ones on Amazon. I highly recommend it.

i've had a couple samsung phones (S3 and just got S5) they seem very good also. the kindle line is limited to amazon store (without some trickery). whereas the nexus you can use google play or amazon store.

Because he didn't have one when he was a kid, so obviously it's bad for kids.

Very good! People always thought my kids had phones early, I loved that they had them and could go out and explore and do stuff but had a phone so I could get them at any time. I mean loved it!

Tablets to me fine for kids....after all I know my 14 year old soon is only reading SI .com when he is locked up the bathroom with his.

Youngest daughter wants a tablet for her birthday and for our Spring Break trip (keeps her busy in the car).

Not going in the iPad direction.

Been told to buy the Nexus 7 (Google) because it has proven to be a reliable model and easy to use for a 9-10 yr old (games, reading, etc).

I see the Samsung tablets are very nice and have all the same features (except not Google).

Any of you guys have experience with these tablets? I guess I'm leaning toward the Nexus 7 but afraid the fact it is a 2013 model may cause problems.

Thanks in advance.

I work on a lot of tablets, but haven't had any real experience with the Nexus. I really like the Samsung tablets, but despise all the crap Samsung packs them with. I know you can root them and get rid of the junk, but are you likely to to that? I'm not. Nexus are supposed to come without a lot of the unnecessary garbage installed, which is a plus, IMO.

As has been mentioned the Kindle Fire is very nice, for the price, but a bit limited. Still fine, IMO. And I would recommend all of these over an iPad, which I find horribly overrated. Once you get used to Android, it's tough to go back to an Apple device---again, IMO.