Shaun Hill: Polian would take a hard look

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can do that in the draft.

We NEED a veteran to lead this team as we are in win now mode.

But none of the older vets are good enough to win with and I don't think they are any more accomplished than Locker, Ponder, Mallett or Sanchez. It would be one thing to bring in a fading veteran who used to be great, but these 10 year career backups are not the answer to get a team to the playoffs.

But none of the older vets are good enough to win with and I don't think they are any more accomplished than Locker, Ponder, Mallett or Sanchez. It would be one thing to bring in a fading veteran who used to be great, but these 10 year career backups are not the answer to get a team to the playoffs.

Shaun Hill is a typical long term backup with little prospect of being a starter. However, if he would have been our starter last year the Bills would have won a couple of additional games (KC and Oakland) and been a playoff team. It's acknowledged that all of the veteran qbs mentioned are temporary solutions. When you are in a bad situation the best you can do is to find the most optimal (least imperfect) option for the time being.

The worst thing the Bills can do is to force the issue and waste resources for a long-term qb when there isn't any available to us at this time. I like Foles. But is he available? If the Eagles were in a position to acquire Mariota they could be a team to make a deal with. But at this time I don't see it happening.

Edited by JohnC

I always liked Hill's fire on the field and ability to not crumble under pressure. Could fill the Gap for now.

"Shaun Hill , Ht./wt 6-3, 220. Age: 35. Experience: 13 seasons.

2014 stats: 9 games (8 starts), 145-229 (63.3 pct.), 1,657 yards, 8 TDs, 7 INTs.

What they’re saying: Polian: “Pretty good prospect. He’s had enough playing time to be seasoned. He’s played pretty well in the opportunities he’s had to play, both in Detroit and St. Louis. I would probably look hard at him.”

Carucci’s take: I wish he had done a better job of avoiding interceptions, but the Bills could do worse in free agency than going with a solid pro who seemingly has what it takes to be at least a one-year solution as a starter."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/a-variety-of-qb-choices-to-add-to-bills-shopping-cart-20150228

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bills bring in a veteran like Hill and young guy like Locker and have them compete for the starting job. The vet maybe starts the next year or two until the young guy is able to beat him out. Throw EJ in if you want although I don't think he has any chance of beating out either Hill or Locker unless there is an injury.

Shaun Hill is a typical long term backup with little prospect of being a starter. However, if he would have been our starter last year the Bills would have won a couple of additional games (KC and Oakland) and been a playoff team. It's acknowledged that all of the veteran qbs mentioned are temporary solutions. When you are in a bad situation the best you can do is to find the most optimal (least imperfect) option for the time being.

The worst thing the Bills can do is to force the issue and waste resources for a long-term qb when there isn't any available to us at this time. I like Foles. But is he available? If the Eagles were in a position to acquire Mariota they could be a team to make a deal with. But at this time I don't see it happening.

I understand trying to optimize with what is available, but my point is that I think Locker or Ponder are as good or better players already than 10 year career backups like Hill and McCown. I'd rather take one of the younger guys and let them compete with EJ than one of th "never was" backups. Between Manuel and Locker or Ponder, maybe one would elevate their game with the competition and we might find an answer.

I'd rather have (a guy like) Sanchez--someone that's at least young-ish with a live arm that can make plays even if he does make mistakes too often.

Agreed- all things more or less equal I'll take one of the younger flops over the old ones

Am I crazy to think that Orton, limited as he is, is better than all of these guys?

Nope. As hated as orton is now, he's about on par with mccown and hill. Given the choice of all 3 last year, mccown probably would've seen some fans due to his chicago run but orton has the best resume imo. None of them being guys you want to see start more than limited duty though.

I understand trying to optimize with what is available, but my point is that I think Locker or Ponder are as good or better players already than 10 year career backups like Hill and McCown. I'd rather take one of the younger guys and let them compete with EJ than one of th "never was" backups. Between Manuel and Locker or Ponder, maybe one would elevate their game with the competition and we might find an answer.

I'm not saying this to curry favor with NYC Bill but I would have no problem with bringing in Mallett. He isn't the most mobile but he has reasonably good pocket presence and he can make all the throws. Kellen Moore is another qb I would be interested in. He is not too talll but he knows how to make the reads and he is accurate and mobile.

There are reasonable options out there. None of them are without flaws. But that doesn't mean that a reasonable solution to the qb issue can't be found. I'm not completely dismissing EJ. I have my doubts about him but if he can beat out the competition then more power to him.

I just don't want to go through another year of wretched qb play. As I and others have stated with average qb play last year the Bills would have been in the playoffs. This franchise has to make some moves on offense to take advantage of our very good defense while it is in tack.

I'm not saying this to curry favor with NYC Bill but I would have no problem with bringing in Mallett. He isn't the most mobile but he has reasonably good pocket presence and he can make all the throws. Kellen Moore is another qb I would be interested in. He is not too talll but he knows how to make the reads and he is accurate and mobile.

There are reasonable options out there. None of them are without flaws. But that doesn't mean that a reasonable solution to the qb issue can't be found. I'm not completely dismissing EJ. I have my doubts about him but if he can beat out the competition then more power to him.

I just don't want to go through another year of wretched qb play. As I and others have stated with average qb play last year the Bills would have been in the playoffs. This franchise has to make some moves on offense to take advantage of our very good defense while it is in tack.

I would also prefer Mallett to McCown/Hill etc. I think Mallett's lack of track record is concerning, but would still rather roll the dice on him than get an old vet backup.

If Kellen Moore is cheap, fine, but his lack of size and mid-tier arm might not be a good match for the very windy conditions in Buffalo.

I always liked Hill's fire on the field and ability to not crumble under pressure. Could fill the Gap for now.

"Shaun Hill , Ht./wt 6-3, 220. Age: 35. Experience: 13 seasons.

2014 stats: 9 games (8 starts), 145-229 (63.3 pct.), 1,657 yards, 8 TDs, 7 INTs.

What theyre saying: Polian: Pretty good prospect. Hes had enough playing time to be seasoned. Hes played pretty well in the opportunities hes had to play, both in Detroit and St. Louis. I would probably look hard at him.

Caruccis take: I wish he had done a better job of avoiding interceptions, but the Bills could do worse in free agency than going with a solid pro who seemingly has what it takes to be at least a one-year solution as a starter."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/a-variety-of-qb-choices-to-add-to-bills-shopping-cart-20150228

I noticed in the article that Polian wasn't too harsh or against trading for Cutler. It seemed that he doesn't think that it's economically wise. I was kind of expecting him to be more critical of Cutler based on performance but that didn't seem to be the case. Interesting.....

I would also prefer Mallett to McCown/Hill etc. I think Mallett's lack of track record is concerning, but would still rather roll the dice on him than get an old vet backup.

If Kellen Moore is cheap, fine, but his lack of size and mid-tier arm might not be a good match for the very windy conditions in Buffalo.

I'm definitely on board with Mallet but why not bring in a Kellan Moore for 3rd stringer. I can see the Bills either adding a 3rd stringer via the draft or with low tier free agents like Kellan Moore, Tyrod Taylor, Austin Davis or Ponder. We need depth. Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

I noticed in the article that Polian wasn't too harsh or against trading for Cutler. It seemed that he doesn't think that it's economically wise. I was kind of expecting him to be more critical of Cutler based on performance but that didn't seem to be the case. Interesting.....

he did in a roundabout way because (maybe it was a different Polian article on the Bills, can't remember) he said in this type of ground and pound/play good D team they are trying to build you definitely don't want a QB with the propensity to turn the ball over.