What now? (Now that McCown is off the table)

Uffalo Ills

What now?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB should the Bills Pursue?

• Sanchez
    • Bradford
    • Foles
    • Hoyer
    • Mallet
    • Cutler
    • Moore
    • Other
    • Locker
    • EJ is just fine, thank you
    • Draft one

I like this thread, but I'll throw this out there: in the past 15 years, which first round qb pick who has busted/seriously diappointed with his original team has gone on to do well with another team after the original team showed little to no interest in keeping him?

I'm coming up with precisely zero. The days of Jim Plunkett are apparently over.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am just glad they didn't sign McCown or whatever his name is. Why would we want a 35 year old guy who got cut by Tampa? He's not even good enough to stay on the roster of the worst team in the league. Let's bring him in!!

Are you kidding?

I'm going to party it up a bit.

yeah, the contradiction of the EJ report from 2 sources and mccown going elsewhere actually made my weekend. I feel better now about the QB plan. So glad bills didn't overpay for mcclown. Sounds like the browns were just trying to find a babysitter for Johnny.

I like this thread, but I'll throw this out there: in the past 15 years, which first round qb pick who has busted/seriously diappointed with his original team has gone on to do well with another team after the original team showed little to no interest in keeping him?

I'm coming up with precisely zero. The days of Jim Plunkett are apparently over.

Drew Brees, other wise why did SD draft Manning and trade for Rivers? And maybe Alex Smith

This year is EJ's year. There are no other better options out there and the haters simply need to stop living in denial. They should start looking at the all important RB position because that is a major facet of Roman's offenses success.

What the haters (frankly all Bills fans if EJ can't get it done this year) should hope for is the Saints and/or Steelers having horrible years putting them in position to draft a QB to replace Brees or Rothlesberger in 2016. Maybe even the Giants or Chargers hit the skids and look to get rid of Manning or Rivers and draft a QB.

One FA I'd try to sign in is Kellen Moore. I think he has the possibility of becoming a "where the heck did this QB come from?" NFL story. It's a remote possibility, but he's the only "lottery ticket" I see out there in FA.

we could have the black Jake Locker and the Real Jake Locker, yo.

Seriously that's fine with me. He's not terrible.

Lol they do have a similar game. Call him white chocolate lol. I feel like we need a qb who can move because i don't trust the line. And the gameplan doesn'thave to change much with either guy

In the last fifteen years, drafted in the first round, Alex Smith? He is doing pretty well with the Chiefs after being widely regarded as a bust his first 5 years in the league, and then as limited enough to quickly replace with Kaep by the 49ers. Michael Vick, obviously meets one definition of "seriously disappointed with his original team" though I'm not sure his situation is what you have in mind.

If you broaden it out a bit to include the 2nd and 3rd round, perhaps Drew Brees - it could be argued he was not regarded as a disappointment at the time they let him walk in FA, but he was certainly regarded as a serious disappointment at the point where they spent another high draft pick on Rivers. I would say Matt Schaub (he had a durn good 6 year run with the Texans before falling apart).

I expect I could find a few more if I had something to jog my memory but the draft finder tool at pro-football-reference isn't working for me right now.

If you want to make the point that 1st round guys in the modern era either fly or flounder, I suspect you might argue that a few counter examples don't disprove the point, and that viewpoint has validity.

I do think, though, the recent changes in CBA need to be taken into account. Just a few years ago, when Stafford and Bradford were drafted for example, a first round pick was prohibitively expensive to cut and undesireable trade bait, so they got every opportunity to succeed with the drafting team. QB who took a few years to "get it" got a chance and only the truly awful got shed.

I think under the current CBA, we're going to see a shift where teams are more willing to take a flier on "project" players in the high rounds because the salary isn't so burdensome and they can be traded or cut with less impact to the team. Meanwhile some QB just take 3-5 years to "get it". So we may see an increase in the "success on the 2nd date" phenomenon.

McCowen signs with the Browns because they were the only team who offered him the chance to be a starter.........oh lord, he was told EJ was the starter. I am already regretting my season ticket purchase........

Simmer down big boy where did you see that? I doubt he was told "EJ is the starter" or any such thing, but it doesn't take Einstein to figure out the competition is stronger when the team's former 1st round draft pick is working out, than it is when the team's former 1st round draft pick is working a rehab program. McCown wasn't even the best FA candidate, just the one who got cut so we could talk to him before Mar 7th

How many posters to this board discount Foles and Sanchez because "Chip Kelly runs a quarterback friendly offense". Hey, here's a thought. Why don't we incorporate a "QB friendly offense" that will let us win without a Brady or Manning at QB?

if it was that easy, all the teams without good QBs would do it. It's why Chip Kelly makes so much money. Unless the bills hire urban meyer, the nfl will run an nfl offense. However I do think that chip hasn't been as successful as the eagles fans hoped and has neglected to improve the D. I also think roman does, to some degree, run a QB friendly system.

I just find it hard to properly evaluate any QB in that chip system.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Drew Brees, other wise why did SD draft Manning and trade for Rivers? And maybe Alex Smith

Brees a) wasn't a first round pick and b) eventually became really good in SD. The team went 12-4 in 2004 and he had 27 TDs, 7 INTs, and a rating of 104.8. Those are spectacular numbers--the opposite of bust-like. As you may recall, the root of the bitterness between AJ Smith and Shottenheimer was Shottenheimer's decision to start Brees in the final game of the season in 2005 (he was good that year too). The Chargers were 9-6 but out of the running for the playoffs. Smith wanted to potentially franchise Brees and trade him (which is he was pissed Shottenheimer started him in a meaningless final game), but Brees hurt his shoulder in that game and you know the rest of the story. SD was in a weird situation because they had both Brees and Rivers (both great players), and they chose to go with the latter.

Alex Smith doesn't count because the Niners actually resigned him. They traded him deep into his second contract. Bear in mind that he played eight seasons for SF, and the team went 19-5-1 when he started in 2011 and 2012 (his final two seasons). He had 30 TDs and 10 INTs in those two seasons, and was benched in 2012 despite having a completion rate of over 70 percent in the first 8+ games (before he suffered a minor injury that knocked him out for a brief period).

Edited by dave mcbride

Saw the Locker highlight video.

I wish people would put together a Low-lights video. Almost any player can generate a highlight vid. Maybe even somebody like Maybin or Ghoulston. I bet Gabbert has one.

Actually he doesn't have a NFL highlight reel. Which I find even more hilarious.