Bryan Bennett, QB, SE Louisiana...

While most of the board is dueling over LeRoi's preposterous rumor concerning EJ, I thought it might be refreshingly realistic to consider a mid-rounder who might have that certain savoir faire...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GJWShVXihk

Good size, great speed, and a quick release (or so it seems to me). What do you think?

Edited by Blue on Blue

While most of the board is dueling over LeRoi's preposterous rumor concerning EJ, I thought it might be refreshingly realistic to consider a mid-rounder who might have that certain savoir faire...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GJWShVXihk

Good size, great speed, and a quick release (or so it seems to me). What do you think?

fast-ish release. seems like a soft release to me, not really sharp

Anyone wanna give me a rundown of his career stats? Thanks

Edited by Uffalo Ills

Thanks, Bandit. :thumbsup:

No problemo

Personally, I'm not a Bennett guy. I just haven't seen many NFL throws from him, and he seems to be off-balance a lot of the time. Sure, his OL isn't very good, but in the NFL, he's not going to have much more time to throw than he did in college. Things happen faster.

I think he and Cody Fajardo would be good late round prospects.

No offense: I think Fajardo is a train wreck as a passer.

Just for some background color for those who may not know. He started his career at Oregon and transferred after losing the QB battle to Mariotta. He wouldn't be the first guy in that type of a situation to succeed (Flacco for instance left Pitt and everyone knows about Cam's journey).

Edited by Chuck Wagon

No problemo

Personally, I'm not a Bennett guy. I just haven't seen many NFL throws from him, and he seems to be off-balance a lot of the time. Sure, his OL isn't very good, but in the NFL, he's not going to have much more time to throw than he did in college. Things happen faster.

I was thinking of him as the kind of guy who "somebody else" finds in the 4th or 5th and I wanted the Bills to get there first, for once.

Edited by Blue on Blue

Just for some background color of those who may not know. He started his career at Oregon and transferred after losing the QB battle to Mariotta. He wouldn't be the first guy in that type of a situation to succeed (Flacco for instance left Pitt and everyone knows about Cam's journey).

Thanks, Chuck. :thumbsup:

Edited by Blue on Blue

No offense: I think Fajardo is a train wreck as a passer.

I wasn't a fan either. I just thought he looked pretty good at the combine throwing and in the games you can watch on YouTube. Hard to judge based on the offense though.

Fun to watch, but he seems like a gifted athlete who happens to play quarterback, like Tebow or Vick. Athleticism isn't really what you're looking for in a QB. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady won't win gifted athlete competitions, but they're two of the best quarterbacks in history. Marino, Montana, Aikman, Big Ben, etc.

I'm not saying he can't succeed. Some great quarterbacks are great athletes as well (Steve Young, Brett Favre, Russel Wilson*).

Me too. He's a dynamic runrer who can extend plays, which seems to be the new-style QB model in the mold of Wilson and Kap. May be worth taking a flyer on in the final couple of rounds.

http://fishduck.com/2015/02/the-curious-case-of-bryan-bennett/

http://optimumscouting.com/draft/2015-nfl-draft-journal-bryan-bennett-qb-southeastern-louisiana-210.html

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/49ers-draft-bryan-bennett/

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/02/five_questions_with_former_slu.html

The last one's a Bleacher Report (I know, not a credible source), but I thought this was interesting:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2374547-bryan-bennett-used-to-mariotas-shadow-but-qb-could-be-ready-for-own-spotlight

If there was one major concern coming out of his final season with the Lions, it had to do with that completion percentage of 49.5, which sadly jumps off the page when surveying his numbers.

That particular number, though, is quite deceiving, since Southeastern Louisiana was the fence-swinging Vladimir Guerrero of FCS football. In fact, the Lions led the nation in yards per pass completion.

"He could have thrown hitch routes all day and probably complete 70 percent of his passes," Lions head coach Ron Roberts told me. "He may have hit only 49 percent, but he was hitting them for big."

The pro-style Southeastern Louisiana offense allowed Bennett the opportunity to do everything you see in the big leagues. He checked protections and route concepts, he worked out of shotgun and under center and he frequently made big-boy throws.

A lot of seven- or eight-man protections, a lot of four-vertical passing concepts.

As Bennett noted, it was high-risk, high-reward.

"We definitely took a lot of shots," he said. "I know there's been the accuracy question, but I know I can deliver accurate footballs."

Edited by Lurker

Me too. He's a dynamic runrer who can extend plays, which seems to be the new-style QB model in the mold of Wilson and Kap. May be worth taking a flyer on in the final couple of rounds.

http://fishduck.com/2015/02/the-curious-case-of-bryan-bennett/

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/49ers-draft-bryan-bennett/

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/02/five_questions_with_former_slu.html

CK was a 65% passer his senior year.... This kid was 49%.

CK was a 65% passer his senior year.... This kid was 49%.

It seems although he performed well in the action he saw with the Ducks. I am not saying he is Mariotta, but is it possible he would have had better stats if he had won the Oregon job instead? Plus, I read he can thow it 80 yards in the air. Flacco 2.0? I am at least interested in learning more.

Guys this kid won't even get drafted.

I disagree. Someone will take a flyer in the 6th or 7th. Edited by buffaloboyinATL

See the edit I made to my post. It looks like his HC had him swinging for the fences a lot, at the detriment to his completion percentage....

I'm familiar with his style. I've seen him play in person.

There's a reason the kid ended up in a two directional school and is probably between 10 and 15 in this years class.

Even pushing the ball, he's pushing against Houston baptist, Nicholls, and incarnate word. Some of his competition wouldn't consistently start on Friday nights in competitive states yet alone Sunday. He should be putting up cam newton at blinn kind of numbers. He has trouble with accuracy and decision making at that level, imagine in the NFL. And though he's pushing the ball, orher guys throw more then 8 yard hitches too. Atleast the real prospects. There are systems that inflate stats but he's not near as far out on an island as 49% would require him to be to not be a concern

Edited by NoSaint

I'm familiar with his style. I've seen him play in person.

There's a reason the kid ended up in a two directional school and is probably between 10 and 15 in this years class.

OK, eyeballs trump the Internet everytime.

How would you compare him to Tuel?

OK, eyeballs trump the Internet everytime.

How would you compare him to Tuel?

I'll admit, I was by no means taking notes on him, but it was because he looked terrible. The last day I sat in the stands for him he was 16/34 with 1 td 2 ints with only about 200 yards and a long of 40 yards.... And a long run of 8 yards (negative for the day)

For a guy pushing, outside the 40 yarder he was only hitting 10 yards a completion....

Against a 3 win tulane team

For a guy just heaving it up he sure has a lot of sub-200 yard games is another hang up. Plenty of weeks you drop out the one long reception and he was only averaging that 8-10 yard completion. My take is the reason he's being discussed is no one here's seen him outside the highlight in this thread and a couple kind quotes.

Edited by NoSaint

he was 16/34 with 1 td 2 ints with only about 200 yards and a long of 40 yards....

Yeah, that must of been one of the two stinkers I read about where he had 30+ attempts (rather than the other games where he averaged 20-25 throws)...

Yeah, that must of been one of the two stinkers I read about where he had 30+ attempts (rather than the other games where he averaged 20-25 throws)...

I edited a bit more but encourage you to look week by week and really give his stats a critical eye (I hate the "all but his good plays" standard but look at how long his completions average out if you pull the longest out, for an idea that he wasn't just hitting bombs all day to fall to sub 50%)

I'll admit, I was by no means taking notes on him, but it was because he looked terrible. The last day I sat in the stands for him he was 16/34 with 1 td 2 ints with only about 200 yards and a long of 40 yards.... And a long run of 8 yards (negative for the day)

For a guy pushing, outside the 40 yarder he was only hitting 10 yards a completion....

Against a 3 win tulane team

For a guy just heaving it up he sure has a lot of sub-200 yard games is another hang up. Plenty of weeks you drop out the one long reception and he was only averaging that 8-10 yard completion. My take is the reason he's being discussed is no one here's seen him outside the highlight in this thread and a couple kind quotes.

Buzz Killer. :)