Whaley: not optimistic on trade market for a QB

YoloinOhio

The reality is there is only 2 realistic trade option now that RG is seemingly off the table. Bradford, RG and Cutler are the only guys that were ever realistic trade targets. The Bills will do their due diligence. I don't think that's any different from what the level headed people on here had suggested? The Brees type of stuff was ridiculous from the 1st time that it was suggested.

Where did you hear that?

Naming him the starter might "imporove" his trade value. Listen to sports radio in the DMV (Deleware, Maryland,Virginia) area. Half of them are thinking RGIII gone.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you hear that?

Naming him the starter might "imporove" his trade value. Listen to sports radio in the DMV (Deleware, Maryland,Virginia) area. Half of them are thinking RGIII gone.

he didn't prove it playing against the Bills D in week 17.

Isn't a lot of that due to Kirk Cousins working out with John Gruden?

Glennon is hot garbage

This isn't surprising. Who is going to trade a QB unless they know the guy can't play?

That seems a bit harsh. I'm not saying he'd light the world on fire, but I'd shoot a 6th over there for him (assuming Tampa just wants any kind of compensation). He had his moments during the previous year, before the offensive line went to crap.

Isn't a lot of that due to Kirk Cousins working out with John Gruden?

funny thing is the day after that was mentioned RGIII was named the starter.

I should have been more specific re - now that RG is seemingly off the table

I know Kirby, I live in VA. many weeks ago Gruden said the QB position would be an Open Competition.

This does not guarantee he's not trade material.

“We’ll go into the season with Robert as the No. 1 guy obviously, and it’s up to Robert to continue to grow and mature as a quarterback and a person and moving forward

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/14379/redskins-qb-spot-up-for-grabs

which is why head coach Jay Gruden said in his season-ending press conference that, as of now, there’s a competition for the starting job.

from Riggo's Rag (?)

http://riggosrag.com/2015/02/18/redskins-qb-competition-is-over-before-it-began/

At the end of the season, Jay Gruden stated that there would be a quarterback competition to determine who would be the starter. Here’s what Gruden said:

“I’d like to pick one as soon as I could so we could try to work and grind on him and develop him,” Gruden said, “
But until that position is earned, you have to have a competition. I anticipate us having a competition at a lot of spots, and quarterback is no different next year.”

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Not making excuses for him, but can't some of that be chalked up to who he had to throw to in Cleveland? And yeah, things got bad once he started forcing the ball to Gordon late in the year

I guess. He is a 56.5%, 19 tds, 19 ints, 76.5 qb rating for his career. He is about to be 30. He is what he is. It's funny though that every QB gets excuses made for him but our guys.

I guess. He is a 56.5%, 19 tds, 19 ints, 76.5 qb rating for his career. He is about to be 30. He is what he is. It's funny though that every QB gets excuses made for him but our guys.

I think our guys have much better targets to throw to than Cleveland last year. I also like that he sat behind Brady for a few years. I don't make excuses for many QB's and I don't really like any QB's available outside the organization long term.

funny thing is the day after that was mentioned RGIII was named the starter.

I should have been more specific re - now that RG is seemingly off the table

I know Kirby, I live in VA. many weeks ago Gruden said the QB position would be an Open Competition.

This does not guarantee he's not trade material.

Well go into the season with Robert as the No. 1 guy obviously, and its up to Robert to continue to grow and mature as a quarterback and a person and moving forward

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/14379/redskins-qb-spot-up-for-grabs

which is why head coach Jay Gruden said in his season-ending press conference that, as of now, theres a competition for the starting job.

from Riggo's Rag (?)

http://riggosrag.com/2015/02/18/redskins-qb-competition-is-over-before-it-began/

At the end of the season, Jay Gruden stated that there would be a quarterback competition to determine who would be the starter. Heres what Gruden said:

Id like to pick one as soon as I could so we could try to work and grind on him and develop him, Gruden said, But until that position is earned, you have to have a competition. I anticipate us having a competition at a lot of spots, and quarterback is no different next year.

The sense that I have gotten is that it isn't Jay Gruden's decision. I'm sure if it were up to him he would have a chance to pick from the guys that he has or someone else. It seems like he is being told that RG is going to be the starter this year. I may be wrong but the comments don't sound to me like that guy is on the table to be traded. Edited by Kirby Jackson

The sense that I have gotten is that it isn't Jay Gruden's decision. I'm sure if it were up to him he would have a chance to pick from the guys that he has or someone else. It seems like he is being told that RG is going to be the starter this year. I may be wrong but the comments don't sound to me like that guy is on the table to be traded.

that is a good possibility, We won't know until after the draft at the earliest.

Could Jay Gruden just up and quit saying citing he's being forced to play a QB he feels shouldn't be in there? Who's reputation gets killed more?

Agreed. Sure as a backup but the guy threw more INTs than tds. He has little upside beyond backup.

And of course the QB trade market sucks. If there was a good QB, the team won't give them up for anything. If EJ is as bad as some people think, we will get a #1 overall pick and can pick a QB next year (and give up on him after 14 games :) ).

And waste a defense which is biult to win now

Actually....with a D this good you can bet we wouldnt lose 14 games no matter how bad the QB play is....that is the problem....our D will keep is in games....our O will win some lose some....and we continue through another 8-8 or 7-9 season.......and not at the top of the draft to take a QB

WE HAVE TO STOP THIS TREND

And waste a defense which is biult to win now

Actually....with a D this good you can bet we wouldnt lose 14 games no matter how bad the QB play is....that is the problem....our D will keep is in games....our O will win some lose some....and we continue through another 8-8 or 7-9 season.......and not at the top of the draft to take a QB

WE HAVE TO STOP THIS TREND

You're expecting us to get worse with a new (rich) owner, a better head coach, a better offensive coach, a returning Kiko, and likely not losing anyone too valuable (assuming we keep Hughes)? And that's before we even get to the draft, and possible FA acquisitions?

that is a good possibility, We won't know until after the draft at the earliest.

Could Jay Gruden just up and quit saying citing he's being forced to play a QB he feels shouldn't be in there? Who's reputation gets killed more?

That is an interesting suggestion. If that were the case I would imagine that it would be a disaster for Dan Snyder. What HC candidate would want to go work in that environment?

The reality is there is only 2 realistic trade option now that RG is seemingly off the table. Bradford, RG and Cutler are the only guys that were ever realistic trade targets. The Bills will do their due diligence. I don't think that's any different from what the level headed people on here had suggested? The Brees type of stuff was ridiculous from the 1st time that it was suggested.

I don't get all the RG111 love(like). IMHO, he was not only ineffective but he was the worst QB in the league LAST YEAR. Can he improve & get to the level of his rookie year? I doubt it. Take away his legs & sorry to say, he is below average & not a quality NFL QB. Just my opinion after watching him for about 4 - 5 games last year.

I don't get all the RG111 love(like). IMHO, he was not only ineffective but he was the worst QB in the league LAST YEAR. Can he improve & get to the level of his rookie year? I doubt it. Take away his legs & sorry to say, he is below average & not a quality NFL QB. Just my opinion after watching him for about 4 - 5 games last year.

I think fans here are intrigued by him because Roman would ask him to do similar things to his rookie year and limit his throw numbers.

I think fans here are intrigued by him because Roman would ask him to do similar things to his rookie year and limit his throw numbers.

He looks like he is afraid to take a hit in the pocket. He seems to be always throwing off his back foot. Can he ditch this bad habit? For his sake, I hope so. Roman wouldn't be able to have RG play the type of game he displayed in his rookie season because he simply isn't the same guy anymore.