Don't expect Spikes or Searcy back

YoloinOhio

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski 1m1 minute ago

Whaley on Brandon Spikes: "I talked to him today. The new staff sees a different player than maybe he does." Ouch.

Matthew Fairburn @MatthewFairburn 39m39 minutes ago

Doug Whaley made it sound like the Bills may have a tough time keeping Da'Norris Searcy due to the money they have tied up at safety.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update. I think Spikes thinks he is an every down back, and the new staff sees him as rotational. We could draft a late-round LB or keep Sylvester for depth. But as Yolo noted, no room for him at the top.

I'd like to keep Searcy, but the Bills prob see little difference between him and Duke Williams, and believe the money is better spent elsewhere (Revis, Hughes, etc.)

Thanks for the update. I think Spikes thinks he is an every down back, and the new staff sees him as rotational. We could draft a late-round LB or keep Sylvester for depth. But as Yolo noted, no room for him at the top.

I'd like to keep Searcy, but the Bills prob see little difference between him and Duke Williams, and believe the money is better spent elsewhere (Revis, Hughes, etc.)

Duke strikes me as a hard hitter that Rex likes at SS

Searcy made some big plays last year, but there were big plays to be made when you have a DL like that putting pressure on the QB. Before last year, had anybody really jumped on the Searcy bandwagon? Many thought that losing Byrd was a disaster. It was a disaster for New Orleans.

We'll be okay. We have Lassiter too.

Searcy is a big play guy who has a bit of a nose for the ball. I think he is the type of player who benefits from strong play up front and has never been a full-time solid starter. I wouldn't give him starter money but someone will. I would have liked to keep him for reasonable money but that won't happen. Good luck to him.

Mike Rodak @mikerodak 11m11 minutes ago

Bills have 2 LB spots to fill between Alonso, Bradham and Brown. Spikes would be the 4th man in that rotation. Minimal playing time.

If memory serves, Manny Lawson was an outstanding fit in Pettine's system as an every down player (significantly less so with his hand in the dirt last year). I'm not sure if that would be Bradham's spot or not, but he's at least someone that should be in the conversation, where our linebackers are concerned.

Am I the only one who has flashbacks to Duke Williams trying to cover Gronk at the Ralph? I don't think we should overpay Searcy (in fact, I think Searcy is a bit over valued in general), but I hope they will bring in someone else to take his spot rather than rely on Duke. I know he's young and can improve, but the dude was pretty terrible when pressed into action last year, at least in coverage.

If memory serves, Manny Lawson was an outstanding fit in Pettine's system as an every down player (significantly less so with his hand in the dirt last year). I'm not sure if that would be Bradham's spot or not, but he's at least someone that should be in the conversation, where our linebackers are concerned.

Lawson won't be on the roster come camp IMO.

I think the comment is referring to the two inside linebacker positions.

I wonder if AW will move to strong and Graham or a "Rex" veteran will play free.

Am I the only one who has flashbacks to Duke Williams trying to cover Gronk at the Ralph? I don't think we should overpay Searcy (in fact, I think Searcy is a bit over valued in general), but I hope they will bring in someone else to take his spot rather than rely on Duke. I know he's young and can improve, but the dude was pretty terrible when pressed into action last year, at least in coverage.

Lawson won't be on the roster come camp IMO.

No, you are not the only one who remembers Duke's limitations. I'm more than a little skittish on the idea of him coming into camp with nothing but developmental players behind him on the depth chart; but I agree that Searcy seemed to benefit considerably from the system, and the guys in front of him.

Re: Manny: You might be right, but I'd love to see the current staff get the kind of production out of him that Pettine did. He's only 30, and could still have some good years in front of him.

No, you are not the only one who remembers Duke's limitations. I'm more than a little skittish on the idea of him coming into camp with nothing but developmental players behind him on the depth chart; but I agree that Searcy seemed to benefit considerably from the system, and the guys in front of him.

Re: Manny: You might be right, but I'd love to see the current staff get the kind of production out of him that Pettine did. He's only 30, and could still have some good years in front of him.

Duke did have scary moments with Gronk - but it was one of the first games he had significant playing time, they were missing Aaron in that game, he did improve over the season, and it was Gronk. The scheme used with him 1:1 on Gronk left a bit to be desired as well.

Searcy made some big plays last year, but there were big plays to be made when you have a DL like that putting pressure on the QB. Before last year, had anybody really jumped on the Searcy bandwagon? Many thought that losing Byrd was a disaster. It was a disaster for New Orleans.

We'll be okay. We have Lassiter too.

I've been on Searcys bandwagon since we drafted him. He is a perfect fit for a Rex Ryan defense.

Jay Skurski ‏@JaySkurski 1m1 minute ago

Whaley on Brandon Spikes: "I talked to him today. The new staff sees a different player than maybe he does." Ouch.

Matthew Fairburn ‏@MatthewFairburn 39m39 minutes ago

Doug Whaley made it sound like the Bills may have a tough time keeping Da'Norris Searcy due to the money they have tied up at safety.

RE: Safety - surprising given Aaron williams isnt terribly expensive and theres nothing else tied up. they could have williams AND searcy at numbers that were in discussion for byrd alone.

RE: Spikes - not surprising. he probably felt this was his "prove it" year and wants to be rewarded. unfortunately, he proved that he isnt an every down player, despite liking his intensity.

RE: Safety - surprising given Aaron williams isnt terribly expensive and theres nothing else tied up. they could have williams AND searcy at numbers that were in discussion for byrd alone.

RE: Spikes - not surprising. he probably felt this was his "prove it" year and wants to be rewarded. unfortunately, he proved that he isnt an every down player, despite liking his intensity.

True on the total amount of the safety position but I think some GMs don't value the position of safety as much as others... therefore they will pay one but not two, and would never pay what Byrd got anyway. If Whaley is planning to pay Gilmore and stay strong/deep at the CB position it makes the SS role even less "critical" when it comes to $$. JMO.

True on the total amount of the safety position but I think some GMs don't value the position of safety as much as others... therefore they will pay one but not two, and would never pay what Byrd got anyway. If Whaley is planning to pay Gilmore and stay strong/deep at the CB position it makes the SS role even less "critical" when it comes to $$. JMO.

it just seems odd that a good, not elite, safety contract precludes us from having a guy who shouldnt break the bank. are we just rolling with AW and rookie contracts from here out? or am i wildly out of touch with searcys value?