Do we draft a running back in round 2 or resign CJ?

Jmsbills

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should be able to find one outside the draft or draft one very late. Say goodbye to CJ. Even during his good season, he couldn't find a hole if it had a neon sign. I want his last run to be his last Bills run (sideways as usual).

you mean on a 50+ yard run?

interesting you say CJ couldn't find the holes during his good season. he averaged SIX freakin yards per touch, thats Adrian Peterson numbers and probably a Bills all time record.

There are a lot of good RBs in this draft so IMO if you can block for them, you can succeed with even a Langford type later in the 5th. It's all about the OL. If that is not going to be solidified to a very strong line they need to draft a RB higher. Jmo.

@WGR550: Whaley on whether he is optimistic about signing CJ Spiller: "We are farther apart than with Jerry (Hughes)"

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-meeting-with-Spillers-representatives/8f2179cb-73f7-4840-988d-26c3f5d963f0

There's considerable ground to cover, but the Bills are meeting with the reps for C.J. Spiller to take a step closer to reaching an agreement.

According to Bills GM Doug Whaley there has been dialogue between the two sides, but there’s some work to be done if the two sides are to reach an accord.

hmm

mark.gifPossibility of losing Spiller has Whaley sizing up running backs [1:58 AM]
Buffalo News reports:

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Why did Whaley trade for Bryce Brown last year on draft weekend? Investing more (and perhaps higher) resources doesn't fit within established NFL trends. Essentially, that teams don't devote much to RB's.

depth for injuries, which was needed. It's a 4th rd pick.

NE spent a 4th rd pick on James white last year and he was inactive all year. This year both vereen and Ridley are FAs. Now he already knows the system so they have him in the loop. They will probably not sign either of those guys and draft another.

IMO you should invest draft picks in RBs. Just not big contracts. Brown is a FA next year. If they draft a guy this year and they like him, they won't pay Brown.

Assuming that Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon are gone in the first round or early 2nd - do we re sign CJ or draft a RB in round two? My choice at RB would be either Ameer Abdulah or Duke Johnson. I live in South Florida and have seen Duke Johnson for three years both before the injury at Florida State and this year after the injury; he got better each and every week of the season. ( I would love for him to fall into the third round and it would be a no brainier) but we can not gamble at the RB position. So the million dollar question is do we re-sign CJ or go out in the draft and get a RB in the second round? I could live with Ameer or Duke and we would have them at a reasonable cost for the next four years. It means no OL help in the second round and thus probablably no immediate help from the draft in the OL. So we would need to address the OL with another free agent or from within. It would be nice to let the chips fall and then decided but - we do not live in fantasy land and these decisions must be made sooner rather than later.

I let CJ walk - if he is looking for big $$$ - if not then resign him and go in another direction in round 2.

Drafting players high then letting them walk after their 1st contract, leaving a hole we spend another draft choice to replace - isn't that the perennial cycle of failure much bemoaned on this board?

Look at the Patriots and Lions. Build a quality line and you can get a lot of yards out of quite a few late round draftees or FA pickups.

depth for injuries, which was needed. It's a 4th rd pick.

NE spent a 4th rd pick on James white last year and he was inactive all year. This year both vereen and Ridley are FAs. Now he already knows the system so they have him in the loop. They will probably not sign either of those guys and draft another.

IMO you should invest draft picks in RBs. Just not big contracts. Brown is a FA next year. If they draft a guy this year and they like him, they won't pay Brown.

I'd be OK with a 4th or a 5th on a quality RB if the draft is that deep. But IMO we need upgrades at a good multi-purpose TE and on OL too badly to let Spiller go and fill the hole with a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Edited by Hopeful

Drafting players high then letting them walk after their 1st contract, leaving a hole we spend another draft choice to replace - isn't that the perennial cycle of failure much bemoaned on this board?

Look at the Patriots and Lions. Build a quality line and you can get a lot of yards out of quite a few late round draftees or FA pickups.

I'd be OK with a 4th or a 5th on a quality RB if the draft is that deep. But IMO we need upgrades at a good multi-purpose TE and on OL too badly to let Spiller go and fill the hole with a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

i think they will have guys they like on their board, say Walford and Williams, and if they are both gone at 50 they will go BPA at RB. The drop off could be enough after those 2 TEs that it would be a reach to take, say, O Leary there (just an example). Also if a favorite OL drops they could take him at 50 but my money is on TE or RB. Or a tall WR/TE hybrid like Funchess.

Personally I'm a huge fan of big 10 RBs and if Langford is running a 4.43 at the combine I love him and he could be a demarco Murray type. Could be had in the 3rd or later. His 40 time is just going to boost his stock because his tape is great and speed was the question. He can block in pass pro too which is tough to find with rooks.

Edited by YoloinOhio