Orton retirement

Jobu

Does anyone know when Orton plans on filing his retirement papers with the NFL? The NFL website is still showing him as an Active player.

The reason I ask is due to the cap implications of when he files those papers. If he files before the June 1st deadline we can just write him off with no ramifactions, I believe if he does it after June 1st, there will be a cap hit.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not something to worry about, it will be handled.

Who said I was worried? I am mainly curious if anyone has heard anything regarding this. Most players who announce retirement file their papers shortly thereafter.

Does anyone know when Orton plans on filing his retirement papers with the NFL? The NFL website is still showing him as an Active player.

The reason I ask is due to the cap implications of when he files those papers. If he files before the June 1st deadline we can just write him off with no ramifactions, I believe if he does it after June 1st, there will be a cap hit.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

What I see on the OTC website is we take a cap hit of $1.5M from his pro rated signing bonus whether he retires now or after June 1 or he doesn't retire and we cut him

2 people accusing you of worrying! O.o

I must be worried.

I am pretty sure if he signs prior to June 1st it is a clean sweep prorated signing bonus and all. If he does it after June 1st then he will have dead money on our cap. Regardless it will definitely be with whiskey and a feather...

I must be worried.

I am pretty sure if he signs prior to June 1st it is a clean sweep prorated signing bonus and all. If he does it after June 1st then he will have dead money on our cap. Regardless it will definitely be with whiskey and a feather...

You have to account for paid out money no matter what, I believe. Or we could give manning a 100m signing bonus and have him retire next year only hitting our cap for 20m

I think it'll be $1.5 mil in dead money either way and I don’t think it matters when he officially retires. Isn't the post June 1st cut designation just to allow teams to spread out a cap hit over future seasons rather than just taking it all at once? Once money is paid out to a player, it all has to eventually count against the cap. We already gave Uncle Orton the cash so it’s not just going to go away and never count against the cap.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he waits as long as possible to file the papers because I assume he is still covered under the league’s health benefits, etc. until he does. So maybe once the new league year starts in March he’ll file.

he said he retired. that's good enough for me.

There was rumors that he doesn't want to go through the grueling off season and training camp and don't be surprised if he shows up at someone's roster at the beginning of the season.

I must be worried.

SMTB I don't grok why you are "pretty sure". If you look at OTC, there is no such indication.

Go here: http://overthecap.com/player/kyle-orton/639 Under "Dead money and cap savings" toggle to "Cut post June 1". No change.

OTC can be wrong, but usually it's pretty accurate.

There was rumors that he doesn't want to go through the grueling off season and training camp and don't be surprised if he shows up at someone's roster at the beginning of the season.

when a man like kyle orton says hes retiring, you can take that to the bank. do you think he became the man, the myth, the legend, that he is by being wishy washy and quitting and then showing up last second, and playing like he was still retired?

when a man like kyle orton says hes retiring, you can take that to the bank. do you think he became the man, the myth, the legend, that he is by being wishy washy and quitting and then showing up last second, and playing like he was still retired?

Exactly. Orton is the type of guy that will risk his own health to pick up that all important yard. Dude is a warrior and plays for the right reasons.

You have to account for paid out money no matter what, I believe. Or we could give manning a 100m signing bonus and have him retire next year only hitting our cap for 20m

Once money is paid out to a player, it all has to eventually count against the cap. We already gave Uncle Orton the cash so it’s not just going to go away and never count against the cap.

SMTB I don't grok why you are "pretty sure". If you look at OTC, there is no such indication.

Go here: http://overthecap.com/player/kyle-orton/639 Under "Dead money and cap savings" toggle to "Cut post June 1". No change.

OTC can be wrong, but usually it's pretty accurate.

I did not see the player specific page, thanks for pointing that out. This is why I posted... Learn something new everyday.

Exactly. Orton is the type of guy that will risk his own health to pick up that all important yard. Dude is a warrior and plays for the right reasons.

This is precisely what would suck if he does not retire and plans on returning. Surely we can find someone better. Would the Bills even allow it? Part of me wonders if he was just trying to avoid the media circus of our offseason.

Edited by Show Me The Baby