Orton retirement

Jobu

I see Orton being back with the Bills. That actually would be a "little discussed option" at QB, since he is "retired" and everyone is discussing every other QB in the NFL. Really, we need someone better than Tuel at the very least. If we roll with EJ and he gets hurt, we need a backup. I'd take Orton, McKnown, Bradford, really any FA QB.

if orton is that little discussed option, ill be pretty bummed. i dont even expect a GREAT guy, but im feeling anyone but orton these days.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if orton is that little discussed option, ill be pretty bummed. i dont even expect a GREAT guy, but im feeling anyone but orton these days.

Would be completely disappointed. We've been down that road before! The fans and our defense deserve better. Or at least the chance to be better.

What is really interesting is that OTC had Orton under contracted players last night, not listed under dead money. Today, he is gone from contracted players and is now in Dead Money... Somebody watching the hits on their web page no doubt.

NFL still has him listed as active though.

The day Orton can do the other things Brady does is the day I'll excuse his crap plays. It's easy to isolate a single moment and say, "other QBs do the same thing" but you take the bad with the good. The "good" with Orton was minimal and didn't make up for all the bad. That play was just a single play but it was a play that illustrated the type of QB Orton was last year. When Brady does it it doesn't define anything because you have no doubt next drive he's taking his team in for a TD.

And one could argue that their reasons for dumping the ball off or sliding are different too. Do I think Brady knows his importance to the team and knows it's not worth the risk so he gives up on a play? Yep. Do I think that's why Orton did it? Nope. I would say he did it because his heart was never in the game last year, he already knew this was the end and he was collecting paychecks. Of course that's conjecture but I don't think it's too far off.

That's not the point.

It's not a bad thing for Brady to throw it away or curl into a ball. Ever. You know why? Because he's the best player on their team in the mot important position, and him staying healthy is of the utmost benefit to his team. Now, with Orton, the benefit is less, because he's not really good, but it is there. Assuming Orton was the best QB on the roster (I strongly believe he was), Orton avoiding injury helps the Bills. Period. End of story. His motivation does not matter (and we'll never know his motivation). The end result is the same.

As an addendum, Orton took many hits over the season. Because there was one that he shied away from, when he had little to no chance of getting the first, does not mean you can paint him as kitty. He got crushed hanging in the pocket to make a throw quite often.

Besides. we all saw how Fitzy got treated when he laid out for his team cause he sucked. He broke his ribs, stunk, and many turned on him. I'd rather have Orton slide short than break something and be even worse or need to throw EJ back out there.

That's not the point.

I think it is the point. Players are defined by a few things. Their big play ability (both positive and negative) and their consistency. With enough positive big plays the negative ones are forgotten. Without them and those negative plays are what define the player. That's what that play did for Orton, whether you like it (or agree with it) or not.

So yeah, other players do similar things but they get cut some slack because the rest of their game doesn't suck too.

And let's not forget the countless plays in which Orton just crumbled in the pocket and pretty much just fell down without standing tall and firing. Sure, you can point to a few times where he took a shot, but again, his positive plays didn't outweigh his negative, which is why he gets (rightfully) blasted.

I think it is the point. Players are defined by a few things. Their big play ability (both positive and negative) and their consistency. With enough positive big plays the negative ones are forgotten. Without them and those negative plays are what define the player. That's what that play did for Orton, whether you like it (or agree with it) or not.

So yeah, other players do similar things but they get cut some slack because the rest of their game doesn't suck too.

And let's not forget the countless plays in which Orton just crumbled in the pocket and pretty much just fell down without standing tall and firing. Sure, you can point to a few times where he took a shot, but again, his positive plays didn't outweigh his negative, which is why he gets (rightfully) blasted.

That's only if you look at the issue in a vacuum. Having the best QB on the roster avoid injury is fine. EJ sacrificed his body for a little more of a positive play and it set this franchise back a year, if not more.

Listen, I love guys who are tough as nails and put their bodies on the line for the team. I do. But it's not the end-all be-all.

Also,

Countless? Really? I'd like you to show me a game where Orton's negative plays outweighed his positives. There may be one, but no more than that. The guy was at the helm for 9 wins, don't forget that. Just because he threw 3 balls in the dirt doesn't negate his 300 yards and 20 other completions.

That's only if you look at the issue in a vacuum. Having the best QB on the roster avoid injury is fine. EJ sacrificed his body for a little more of a positive play and it set this franchise back a year, if not more.

Listen, I love guys who are tough as nails and put their bodies on the line for the team. I do. But it's not the end-all be-all.

Also,

Countless? Really? I'd like you to show me a game where Orton's negative plays outweighed his positives. There may be one, but no more than that. The guy was at the helm for 9 wins, don't forget that. Just because he threw 3 balls in the dirt doesn't negate his 300 yards and 20 other completions.

7 wins and he was awful in the Minnesota, KC, Oak, GB, and Miami games. He's terrible and soft. Now he's dipping with his kids. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.

7 wins and he was awful in the Minnesota, KC, Oak, GB, and Miami games. He's terrible and soft. Now he's dipping with his kids. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.

I think we're all aware of your opinion, thanks.

Ditto Chan. Many of us are sick of hearing how good Orton was

Ditto Chan. Many of us are sick of hearing how good Orton was

You don't get it. Without Orton and his 17 QBR against GB, there's no way we win.

Haha. I done talking about this stiff. He and Marrone are gone. Let's be happy and move forward.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

You don't get it. Without Orton and his 17 QBR against GB, there's no way we win.

Haha. I done talking about this stiff. He and Marrone are gone. Let's be happy and move forward.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :worthy:

Well then, if you don't wish to talk about Orton, I'd advise not posting in the "Orton retirement" thread. You know, it just makes sense.

Edited by FireChan

What?

Well then, if you don't wish to talk about Orton, I'd advise not posting in the "Orton retirement" thread. You know, it just makes sense.

Pretend you have not seen me post this a dozen times

EJ detractors pleas create your own "EJ Sucks" thread

ignoring the following dozen troll posts on this

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever