Bo Levi Mitchell - The SHOULD Be Bills Franchise QB Champion

Vinaccia

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that an NFL rule? Im guessing it isn't, so who cares. and even if it were, Its not like that would stop the Patriots.

If nothing else just sign him to a contract now, for the 2016 season.

A contract is a legal document for a player's services right? So why would there even need to be an agreement between the NFL and CFL to prevent a player from being poached when they are still signed with a team.

A contract is a legal document for a player's services right? So why would there even need to be an agreement between the NFL and CFL to prevent a player from being poached when they are still signed with a team.

The CFL and NFL had an agreement that if a CFL player requested an opportunity to try out in the NFL, he could be temporarily released from his team to make a run in the NFL. That CFL team retains that player's rights if he fails to make it.

It was part of an agreement long ago when the NFL provided some financial backing to the CFL.

The CFL and NFL had an agreement that if a CFL player requested an opportunity to try out in the NFL, he could be temporarily released from his team to make a run in the NFL. That CFL team retains that player's rights if he fails to make it.

It was part of an agreement long ago when the NFL provided some financial backing to the CFL.

That would make sense in this context . Peter's post though does not. Is this agreement between NFL and CFL still in force though?

Maybe Pegula can put together a package that includes sending the Sabre's first pick in the upcoming draft to the Flames. Stranger things have happened.

NO! I would rather have Eichel play QB for the Bills on Sundays the hustle him off to suit up with the Sabres. He's young he can do it.

I live in Katy Texas and both my son's graduates after having played for the same high school. Katy high school is a perennial power house football program that has gone to the Texas division 5 A state championship game the last 3 Years in a row. The team is built on no one person being bigger then the program. Andy Dalton is also a graduate of Katy High School. I would love to see Bo get a chance in the NFL.

NO! I would rather have Eichel play QB for the Bills on Sundays the hustle him off to suit up with the Sabres. He's young he can do it.

NO! Not Eichel! Worst QB in the college ranks. Can't play unless it's 32 degrees out or less, wants to go to the sidelines every 30-45 seconds or so, every so often will throw the ball into the kickers net. There has to be a better option.

The NFL does this already, Pettine was under contract with Buffalo, but left for a better opportunity with Cleveland (supposedly hah).

And if not, there's always... Other ways...

I know you have it in you, Terry.

Edited by BuffalothruMyVeins

I cover the CFL for a living so I've seen every one of his starts -- he's got upside. Not ready for the NFL yet but he's done things here no other QB has.

First of all, he's younger than most QBs are when they start in the CFL. Because all QBs in the CFL are American, they don't usually end up starting until their mid to late 20s. It takes a long time for someone new to the league to understand the game -- the pre-snap motion, the extra receiver and defender on the field, the waggle, etc. Bo grasped all of this very quickly and within a couple of years took the starting job from an already-proven quarterback who is also relatively young and has high upside in Drew Tate (I personally think Tate is better than half the other starters in the league, so that's a pretty good accomplishment).

While he plays for a great team, he made the Stampeders better this year and he was the biggest reason they won the Grey Cup. He set a record for consecutive wins to start a career in the CFL as a starting quarterback, and in the Grey Cup he played against one of the league's stingiest defences and was in the third quarter on track to break Doug Flutie's Grey Cup single-game completion percentage (somewhere in the high 70's, around 78%). At one point in the game, he had completed more than 20 straight passes (some were check-downs but many were on intermediate routes in the face of a tough Ticat pass rush).

Bo has a strong arm. Not the most accurate and his completion percentage will need to improve, but I believe it will. He's fast, but more than that he's quick. He's like a magician in the pocket. Knows how to get out of a jam and senses the pressure. Took the fewest sacks in the CFL out of any starter. He can run when he needs to but he'll go through his progressions and find the open man first. Running the ball is a last resort.

Can he be an NFL starter? Probably, if given a shot, but it doesn't usually work out that way. I think a couple more years of maturation in the CFL would be good for him, then I bet he takes his shot down south.

I will say this: he has the wow factor that we haven't seen in this league since Flutie was here. Other quarterbacks have been better passers, like Calvillo and Ray, but Mitchell seems to have something extra in his game (I'm not a scout and I know people don't like to hear the whole 'it' thing, but Bo has it).

EJ Manuel would dominate in the CFL and in FCS college football as well.

A lot of former American college stars come here and fail miserably. To make it in the CFL, you have to have superb pocket awareness and complete passes with high efficiency. Remember, with only three downs, one incompletion often results in a punt.

I don't imagine EJ making it in the CFL. The field is wider and a lot of the routes are even tougher to throw. The learning curve would be very steep.

Troy Smith started all of about 10 games here. I think he completion percentage was below 60%.

You've gotta be smart to play quarterback in the CFL (not that I'm saying EJ isn't smart)..

Edited by CFLstyle

How could 32 teams miss this guy? Answer! They didn't. Next question.

Great point! He must be terrible based on this reasoning alone!

It's just like in the 2000 draft. How could 31 teams miss on Tom Brady 198 times?

Answer! OH WAIT. CRAP.

This is no longer the case. The way it actually used to work was CFL players would have an option year in their contract. Once they reached their option year, they could pursue opportunities in the NFL. If they returned during the same season, their rights were retained by their CFL team.

The next season, they'd be CFL free agents too.

The option no longer exists, and players must be free agents to go to the NFL. The NFL becomes an option just like any CFL team in free agency.

This is no longer the case. The way it actually used to work was CFL players would have an option year in their contract. Once they reached their option year, they could pursue opportunities in the NFL. If they returned during the same season, their rights were retained by their CFL team.

The next season, they'd be CFL free agents too.

The option no longer exists, and players must be free agents to go to the NFL. The NFL becomes an option just like any CFL team in free agency.

Whether or not the NFL has a special agreement with the CFL to not poach players, I don't know. That may well be the case.

But contracts can be and are broken every day of the week. It's just that the party doing the breaking will be doing the paying pursuant to the terms of the contract and relevant law.

The notion that a contract somehow guarantees performance, however, is sophomoric, and wrong.

A lot of former American college stars come here and fail miserably. To make it in the CFL, you have to have superb pocket awareness and complete passes with high efficiency. Remember, with only three downs, one incompletion often results in a punt.

I don't imagine EJ making it in the CFL. The field is wider and a lot of the routes are even tougher to throw. The learning curve would be very steep.

Troy Smith started all of about 10 games here. I think he completion percentage was below 60%.

You've gotta be smart to play quarterback in the CFL (not that I'm saying EJ isn't smart)..

You are obviously way more informed than I when it comes to the CFL so I will certainly defer to your judgement! My point was more that it's a whole different world to dominate in FCS college ball and the CFL than it is to be a franchise QB in the NFL, but I think you agreed with that as well by stating he isn't quite ready yet. Impossible, no, but the OP declaring him the answer is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Thanks for your insight!

Edited by Mark80