The Pats and cheating

So I was talking to the wife about the Patriots and their cheating ways. And I thought it would be interesting to see what Bills fans think about my take on it. Like they say, the enemy of your enemy is your friend.

I have no issue with the Patriots cheating. I know that's not going to be popular here, nor is it popular amongst my Jets comrades. But I was watching something recently where Parcells said that in 85 Bill Walsh faked that his headphones were not working at the opening of a game so that the Giants, in turn, couldn't use theirs. This was an advantage to the 49ers becuase they scripted their first 15 or so plays. It was pretty crafty way of circumventing the rules. I have nothing but respect for Walsh, but even he pulled stuff like this. If you're not cheating you're not trying.

My issue with the Pats is that they have Goodell in their back pocket. They think they are above the law, they play like they are sqeaky clean and most importantly their games are manipulated by the refs on a weekly basis. Their championships are tainted, but it's becuase of the bull **** calls and non-calls from the refs, not cheating. Everyone cheats in the NFL. Honestly, how many Jets and Bills players do you think take steroids? See my point?

This past Super Bowl had two key plays that were OBVIOUS penalties and were not called. There was the Edelman TD where he pushed off so blatantly... any other team it's offensive PI. If you can grab a defender on the goaline and throw him off of you anyone could score. The other was that play where the Pats defender went to the ground, reached out with his hand and tripped the Seattle WR. It wasn't legs getting tangled or anything like that, it was grabbing the receivers foot, in the wide open, with 10 different cameras catching it. Even the NBC crew posted it out.

2 or 3 calls and non-calls like that, placed in the right spot can increase you chance of winning by a huge percentage. That's how their empire was built, and that's why its garbage.

I give Aurthur Blank a lot of credit. He owned what happened in Atlanta and that fake crowd noise thing, and he said he will take care of it. He was obviously upset. He doesn't belive he is above the law like Kraft. He didn't demand an apology. Pats players do this outrageous **** during the games becuase they know they won't be called out.

How did they put together this offensive line so quickly. They were a mess early in the season. But somewhere around week 5 they realized that they can hold every play, and I don't mean normal holding, I mean grabbing guys and wrapping their arms around their waists, almost ripping their jerseys off and tackling them to the ground and laying on them. It's not hard to give Brady 6 seconds in the pocket every drop back when you can do anything you want to the defender.

So that's my rant. I feel like so many people can't see the forest for the trees. Do you have trees in Buffalo or does the 100 feet of snow a year kill all vegetation? Random thought, don't answer that =)

Edited by Momentoftrth

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would Kraft apologize for something they didn't do? Blank apologized because his team did cheat; he admitted so.

And on this recent cheating revelation by the Falcons ..... where is the uproar? This is admitted cheating and not just a fabricated rumour afterall. Why are all of the media outlets not up in arms and asking for justice?

Edited by Pneumonic

Why would Kraft apologize for something they didn't do? Blank apologized because his team did cheat; he admitted so.

And on this recent cheating revelation by the Falcons ..... where is the uproar? This is admitted cheating and not just a fabricated rumour afterall. Why are all of the media outlets not up in arms and asking for justice?

1st off you're a Pats fan right? There's no way you are a bills fan with that view.

Second..... The balls were 2lbs under inflated. There is no question it happened in house. I don't expect him to come out and throw anyone under the bus until the investigation is completed. But to stand up and demand an apology, without all the facts sends a clear message ... that we know you can't prove it if we just play dumb, and I'm not interested in finding out what happened regardless.

You do know the Falcons are going to be punished? Same with Cleveland and the texting.

That's why no one is in an uproar with them b.c people already know they are screwed. The Pats on the other hand seem to slink and slide around all the problems they conjure up.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Why are all of the media outlets not up in arms and asking for justice?

First, because the league didn't mishandle it.

Second, because neither the Browns or the Falcons are pretending that they're deities who condescend to tell us they "follow the rules to the letter" after 15 years of cheating.

This...times 100.

When I comes to sports and cheating, you might be right. Everyone does it. IMO it's to the degree that matters. Steroids are illegal so yes, it's cheating, however everyone does it so does it really give your team an advantage? Idts. The problem lies when teams deceive other teams, much like the pats have done. Knowingly cheating across the board is unspoken and accepted, but trickery that breaks the rules gives them an unfair advantage.

The refs must get extra cash for missing/making some of the calls they do. If I see Brady scream and touch another ref with no flag I'll lose it. We very we'll know that if it was anyone else it would be 15

So I was talking to the wife about the Patriots and their cheating ways. And I thought it would be interesting to see what Bills fans think about my take on it. Like they say, the enemy of your enemy is your friend.

I have no issue with the Patriots cheating. I know that's not going to be popular here, nor is it popular amongst my Jets comrades. But I was watching something recently where Parcells said that in 85 Bill Walsh faked that his headphones were not working at the opening of a game so that the Giants, in turn, couldn't use theirs. This was an advantage to the 49ers becuase they scripted their first 15 or so plays. It was pretty crafty way of circumventing the rules. I have nothing but respect for Walsh, but even he pulled stuff like this. If you're not cheating you're not trying.

My issue with the Pats is that they have Goodell in their back pocket. They think they are above the law, they play like they are sqeaky clean and most importantly their games are manipulated by the refs on a weekly basis. Their championships are tainted, but it's becuase of the bull **** calls and non-calls from the refs, not cheating. Everyone cheats in the NFL. Honestly, how many Jets and Bills players do you think take steroids? See my point?

This past Super Bowl had two key plays that were OBVIOUS penalties and were not called. There was the Edelman TD where he pushed off so blatantly... any other team it's offensive PI. If you can grab a defender on the goaline and throw him off of you anyone could score. The other was that play where the Pats defender went to the ground, reached out with his hand and tripped the Seattle WR. It wasn't legs getting tangled or anything like that, it was grabbing the receivers foot, in the wide open, with 10 different cameras catching it. Even the NBC crew posted it out.

2 or 3 calls and non-calls like that, placed in the right spot can increase you chance of winning by a huge percentage. That's how their empire was built, and that's why its garbage.

I give Aurthur Blank a lot of credit. He owned what happened in Atlanta and that fake crowd noise thing, and he said he will take care of it. He was obviously upset. He doesn't belive he is above the law like Kraft. He didn't demand an apology. Pats players do this outrageous **** during the games becuase they know they won't be called out.

How did they put together this offensive line so quickly. They were a mess early in the season. But somewhere around week 5 they realized that they can hold every play, and I don't mean normal holding, I mean grabbing guys and wrapping their arms around their waists, almost ripping their jerseys off and tackling them to the ground and laying on them. It's not hard to give Brady 6 seconds in the pocket every drop back when you can do anything you want to the defender.

So that's my rant. I feel like so many people can't see the forest for the trees. Do you have trees in Buffalo or does the 100 feet of snow a year kill all vegetation? Random thought, don't answer that =)

Applause hooray, I thought I was the only one that sees this stuff. Omg the holding, it's incredible what the Pats get away with. Btw what stopped u from mentioning the TUCK RULE! That is like the billboard of the NFL love for these cheaters.

To me, it's their whole body of work/favoritism that kind of tells the story--from the cheating we know about (Spygate, letting IRed players practice, aging vets on HGH, etc.) to that which is suspected (headsets going out at Gillette, extra frequency on their headsets discovered in the Spygate investigation, suspicions that their locker room is bugged, "it was one team, really, brought before us over and over again" as per an NFL Competition Committee member, etc.) to the favoritism from the League office (favorable scheduling (as in rarely playing teams coming off a bye and getting either division games or quality opponents off their own bye), favorable treatment of their players (like Vince Wilfork not being suspended despite having 4 separate finable offenses in one season or Alphonso Dennard not getting any time off despite serving time in jail last year), etc.) It's really quite a body of work. All the while they act shocked (absolutely shocked!) when someone points out their less than honorable ways. That's what gets me about these guys.

I agree... There was also a play where Brady was between the tackles and intentionally grounded the ball, throwing to the middle of the field where there were no recievers. The commentators mentioned "where was the receiver?" yet no penalty was called. That looked like an obvious penalty to me...

Why all the rationalization? The world knows that the Pats cheated in tbe SBs so blatantly that the commish covered it up and destroyed the evidence. First three SB's for them should have a place with McGuire, Bonds and Armstrong. They got caught again and you just know they have been tampering with the balls for years. The dork commish is trying to figure out how to minimize that now. They cheat on a grand scale and the league blinks.

Just give it to 'em.

I think the OP hits the nail on the head. Yes, every team "cheats" or at least tries to skirt the rules here & there to get an advantage. I think you'd have to be ignorant to think that doesn't happen.

That said, what New England has been doing since Brady took over is uncanny. How many times would Wes Welker be wide open on every play when the defense knows he gets the ball 12-14 times a game? How can Brady have so much time in the pocket? How does their defense have the right play call at the most important times? It reeks of the Patriots having the refs in their back pocket or knowing the opponents plays before they're coming.

Yes, I hate that team. You can call me a "hater" if you want, but something stinks about everything they do. When I hear Kraft "demand an apology" or Brady crying like a little baby when a d-lineman so much as breathes in his direction, it proves the arrogance that this organization is all about. As long as Kraft owns that team, this will always be an issue.

My issue with the Pats is that they have Goodell in their back pocket. They think they are above the law,

That's the key right there. They do have Goodell in their back pocket. Makes one wonder whether Kraft has pics of Goodell in compromising positions.

Anyway, I picked this up elsewhere, and it's funny, because I've always wondered why RBs don't fumble much in NE but either did before they got there or do after they leave. You'd think that this would be huge in the assessment of the deflated balls thing.

www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/the-new-england-patriots-prevention-of-fumbles-is-nearly-impossible

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/the-new-england-patriots-mysteriously-became-fumble-proof-in-2007

Why all the rationalization? The world knows that the Pats cheated in tbe SBs so blatantly that the commish covered it up and destroyed the evidence. First three SB's for them should have a place with McGuire, Bonds and Armstrong. They got caught again and you just know they have been tampering with the balls for years. The dork commish is trying to figure out how to minimize that now. They cheat on a grand scale and the league blinks.

Nicely summed up.