All Things Incognito (Richie returns, signs contract)

RalphOP83

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does not convincingly demonstrate anything as there are too many factors involved.

Without a doubt there are many factors involved when assessing a HC. That is the nature of the multi-faceted and challenging position. Whether you like Marrone or not it is not unreasonable to believe that the team he was coaching was on the upswing. It was apparent that there were philosophical differences and tension between the HC and the front office. Yet the front office wanted to bring him back. The organization would not have wanted him back if it felt that Marrone was not a competent HC.

Put aside the comparison between the HCs. In my opinion I don't see Rex as being anyhing other than an average HC.

Edited by JohnC

Without a doubt there are many factors involved when assessing a HC. That is the nature of the multi-faceted and challenging position. Whether you like Marrone or not it is not unreasonable to believe that the team he was coaching was on the upswing. It was apparent that there were philosophical differences and tension between the HC and the front office. Yet the front office wanted to bring him back. The organization would not have wanted him back if it felt that Marrone was not a competent HC.

Put aside the comparison between the HCs. In my opinion I don't see Rex as being anyhing other than an average HC.

I am genuinely curious what you would have thought about the Pats* Bill Belichick hire considering his career record was 36-44 at the time

So Rex's team quit when they won the last game of season?

Did they quit when they lost both games vs the patriots for a combined 3 points ?

Bills absolutely have way more talent then the jets.

I agree w eball as far as records go. Jets win 2 w Marrone bills win 11 w rex last year. Bully time. Hop aboard baby.

I am genuinely curious what you would have thought about the Pats* Bill Belichick hire considering his career record was 36-44 at the time

I consider Belichick to be the best HC in the history of the NFL. I include Lombardi, Shula and Noll in that mix.

When Belichick got hired in Cleveland he was rebuilding that franchise. A new owner came in and let him go. If Cleveland would have given him more time and the same support as Kraft did with the Pats the football landscape of today would be much different.

Rex Ryan and Marrone are pygmies when compared to Belichick.

I consider Belichick to be the best HC in the history of the NFL. I include Lombardi, Shula and Noll in that mix.

When Belichick got hired in Cleveland he was rebuilding that franchise. A new owner came in and let him go. If Cleveland would have given him more time and the same support as Kraft did with the Pats the football landscape of today would be much different.

Thats your first problem.

Nice revisionist history JC. Belichick would still be nothing as a HC if not for a lucky 6th round pick, Mo Lewis, Ernie Adams, videotaping, and a whole host of other cheating methods.

Edited by Doc

This is why I think Rex has a good shot here. Support from the owners and GM. Something he did not have in NJ

John your not flaming anyone so im not gonna flame you

You are entitled to your opinion

but I dont agree with it.....the thing that stand out to me about Rex Ryan

- His teams the last two years have been bad (and pretty devoid of talent) but one thing that they have always been......physical.....the other thing they have always been is competative with the Patriots. This team is going NO WHERE until it starts either winning the patriot matchup or learning out to at least split the series with them.

- His teams did play hard for him......and last years team got better towards the end.....he knows how to motivate. Where he gets into trouble is while he is a great DC and defensive master mind he is weak on the offensive side of the ball. Now.......at his second stop I think Rex gets a little smarter with the Roman hiring.......

- I am willing to give Rex the benefit of the doubt.....people in NFL circles think he is a heck of a coach.

Kevin Gilbride works out at the same small gym I use. I asked him his thoughts about Incognito. His reply:

1) Average athlete

2) Excellent run blocker

3) One of the toughest guys in the NFL

4) Thought he got screwed in Miami

Nothing earth shattering, but thought you guys might be interested in his opinion.

As an aside, in the past he has had nothing but great thing to say about Buffalo, the fans, and his time with us. He's a great guy, very friendly and has a wealth of knowledge.

RTB

Edited by RunTheBall

Kevin Gilbride works out at the same small gym I use. I asked him his thoughts about Incognito. His reply:

1) Average athlete

2) Excellent run blocker

3) One of the toughest guys in the NFL

4) Thought he got screwed in Miami

Nothing earth shattering, but thought you guys might be interested in his opinion.

As an aside, in the past he has had nothing but great thing to say about Buffalo, the fans, and his time with us. He's a great guy, very friendly and has a wealth of knowledge.

RTB

That is pretty much what I think we are getting with Richie......he is one of those guys if he can stay straight you wont hear about much.....but magically that between the tackles running will all of a sudden start getting blocked........

I hope they play him at RG and bring in another guy to improve the LG spot......would love to have Levitre back

If this guy didn't have the off-field issues he would be a 4-5 million dollar a year guard. We are getting a steal at 2.25. Now we can go out and sign a quality LG at market price and have a great offensive line next year, with plenty off money left to resign Hughes and maybe add another high quality free agent.

I realize this guy is pretty much a piece of trash. That said I have seen much biggers pieces of trash get more as many if not more chances than he has. I hope him seeing pychriactric treatment was something he took seriously and I would hope he is still taking counseling. If this guy can keep his head right for one season, we definitely took a big step towards being a nasty offensive line the excels at blocking for the run.

The one place where Richie excels beyond those reprobates is ripping apart a locker room. I've coached teams with athletes who felt it was their job to bully and harass their teammates. I hated them for it, and their parents for allowing it. To me, Richie is the lowest of the low. It's just my particular hot button.

Understood, but these are grown men Jockstrap. Are YOU gonna let someone bully you IRL? Cause I sure as hell am not. I always had a hard time with the Martin thing. Is Incognito a pathetic man-child? Yes. But the notion that a single person or group of people can still bully ANYONE who is a grown man is incomprehensible to me. I don't see our locker room tolerating his antics, so he should fall in line. If he's not disrupting the locker room I could care less about the person he is as long as he is contributing to a better O-line.

Understood, but these are grown men Jockstrap. Are YOU gonna let someone bully you IRL? Cause I sure as hell am not. I always had a hard time with the Martin thing. Is Incognito a pathetic man-child? Yes. But the notion that a single person or group of people can still bully ANYONE who is a grown man is incomprehensible to me. I don't see our locker room tolerating his antics, so he should fall in line. If he's not disrupting the locker room I could care less about the person he is as long as he is contributing to a better O-line.

I agree with all of this. Jackson, Wood, Williams and Williams are not going to let him get out of line and they will have Terry's ear. If Richie messes up even if it's just in the locker room and none of us ever hear the specifics, I don't think they will hesitate to show him the door.

i found the Jmart "bullying" claim interesting as well. He's bigger and smarter than RI. Jmart does appear soft. I've little doubt the coaching staff asked RI to toughen him up. You aren't winning many battles in the trenches in the NFL as a soft O lineman. Not saying the things RI said were cool or acceptable but there are 10 guys like him in every locker room, sometimes more. The guy is an idiot and made a lot of mistakes but took a very significant suspension and don't see why he can't be given a risk averse contract and see if he can get his stuff together this time.

He won't be a leader on the Bills like he was in Miami, or asked to mentor a rookie.

Edited by YoloinOhio

That is pretty much what I think we are getting with Richie......he is one of those guys if he can stay straight you wont hear about much.....but magically that between the tackles running will all of a sudden start getting blocked........

I hope they play him at RG and bring in another guy to improve the LG spot......would love to have Levitre back

I'd put him at LG, which is where he made the Pro Bowl in 2012. I'd put Chris Williams at RG, but still sign a RG in FA.

there are coaches that encourage guys like Incognito to "toughen up" players considered soft.

A different type of bullying, remember Troy Vincent teaching Losman a lesson?

I do. Losman was never the same after Vincent broke his leg.

Martin is the one who ripped apart the lockerroom by going public. As per the Dols O-linemen.

Martin tried to stay in house, but the Dolphins coaching staff allowed Incognito's behavior to continue. Richie also went after another unnamed player and the trainer, so laying this at Martin's feet is lame.