All time dumbest playcall in a Super Bowl with game on line

patfitz

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, the explanation you've all been waiting for here.

Russell Wilson is your young clean-cut God-fearing media-perfect quarterback. If one was creating a superstar face to market for the twenty-first century, chances are they would look, sound and basically be Russell Wilson. He’s Derek Jeter with a Bible, someone who comes across like he has never spoken out of turn in his entire life. Marshawn Lynch is… Marshawn Lynch, and if you haven’t figured out what that means after the past two weeks, then you haven’t been paying attention.

The theory goes that there were major financial, public relations and football reasons for Russell Wilson and not Lynch to be the one who ends the game in glory. If he throws that touchdown for the victory, Wilson is almost certainly the Super Bowl MVP. He gets the commercial. He gets to stand with the commissioner. And oh, by the way, he also gets his new contract, one that will fasten his prime, at only 26 years old, to the Seattle franchise. Marshawn Lynch is also due a new contract. Marshawn Lynch, had he punched that ball over the goal line, would probably get to be the one handed the MVP trophy. Marshawn Lynch also maybe gets on the mic to say Lord knows what.

Marshawn Lynch is in addition playing for a new contract and will certainly get one after an awesome, iconic season. But unlike Wilson, Marshawn Lynch turns 29 this off-season, that time when the ability of running backs tends to fall off the cliff. In Seattle’s own recent history, they saw their MVP running back Shaun Alexander go seemingly overnight from superstar to someone who could barely run the ball, a football equivalent of milk left on the radiator.

The conspiracy theory lies in the fact that Seahawks coach Pete Carroll believed that the last yard the Seahawks needed for that Super Bowl victory was a gimme and, all things being equal, much better to have the iconic Super Bowl moment go to Russell Wilson than to Marshawn Lynch. Coaches setting certain favored players up for glory is as old as football itself. In addition, the politics of race, respectability, public relations and what’s in the best interest of a $2 billion corporation all played into this. That’s the theory.

That thought crossed my mind when they had Wilson line up in the shotgun.

Still, the ramifications of who's the "hero" are a lot to think about in the heat of the moment. The easier explanation is they just had a brain cramp...

It wasnt only just a horrible play call, but poor execution on Wilson's part. Not surprising since he is way overrated as a passing QB. There were at least a few plays in the 2nd half where Wilson got greedy and tried to do too much with his arm instead of just relying on what got them there. For example, the 3rd and short play where he had the man open underneath on the Rub route, would have been an easy 1st down and kept the drive alive. Instead, he tries to air it out down the sideline with a poorly thrown jump ball, incomplete, kills the drive, no points.

Wilson should have thrown that last ball out of the end zone and they still would have been able to run the ball 2 more times since they still had a time out. What we saw was a complete disintegration of an Offense when they tried to get too cute and got away from what got them that far.

This was way worse than Wide Right, imo. I'm sick enough that I now have to live in a world where the Pats* are Super Bowl champs. I'd be absolutely disgusted if I were a Seahawks fan too.

Agree 100%...and a QBR of 5 in the fourth quarter: 3 of 8 for 75 yards and an interception. and 47 of those yards came on one of the most fortunate bounces I have seen, without which, they wouldn't even have been in position for a go ahead touchdown...

Edited by billsfan1959

This is the 4 play sequence the Seahawks should have run. Notice the very familiar opponent. All 4 snaps are taken from the shotgun and includes a 1st down run by Marshawn Lynch. Granted, this is not a goal line situation but it works anywhere on the field - especially against defensive goal line personnel. Seattle has "Jumbo" personnel in the game at midfield.

It's what everyone is talking about - make it a two man game, Wilson and Lynch. Lynch lined up next to Wilson in the shotgun leaves the defense having to account for every possibility and lets Wilson decide based on what he sees. This is from 2012!

http://www.ninersnat...d-the-zone-read

For some teams this might be a concern. But do you really think Seattle cares what you think about their players? As long as they win (and not a day more) selling Seahawks stuff to the 12s will be like stealing candy from a baby regardless of the players involved.

For some teams this might be a concern. But do you really think Seattle cares what you think about their players? As long as they win (and not a day more) selling Seahawks stuff to the 12s will be like stealing candy from a baby regardless of the players involved.

To be clear, I thought that was one of the more embarrassing articles to come out on the topic. I thought the author was a fool, worthy of much mockery.

One of the challenges with being a fan of a football team is that you spend 17 weeks watching your team (and any other NFL game you can), and have a better sense of the game than 95% of the people in the country...but it culminates with a game that is regularly watched by more people than anything ever televised.

There are two problems with this. The first is that any moron from any publication thinks they can write that stupid of an article and be taken seriously. The second, and the reason I stop attending SB parties, is because the only time people at SB parties shut up is when the commercials are on. I didn't just spend almost half a year watching football just to get to the championship game and have Chatty Cathy talk about her new paleo diet while the game is on, only to shut her yap when she sees a Budweiser Clydesdale and a puppy.

Let's not forget who Ricardo Lockette is either.

He's CJ Graham - an unproven track star with the hands of a backup receiver.

Do you really want to put your Super Bowl hopes in the hands of CJ Graham in the thick of the action or ML, or maybe a big TE or tall receiver running a corner pattern?

As Bills fans we have all seen what can happen.

All time stupidest call.

Edited by starrymessenger

Posted Yesterday, 10:16 PM

Kelly the Dog, on 01 Feb 2015 - 10:15 PM, said:snapback.png

Marrone and Hackett thought it was genius.

And Mike Schopp

And, unbelievably, Schopp actually is defending the call. And, of course, calling it a card game, which is what he wants to turn football into.

Risky = stupid when there is no reason to be risky.

Exactly the point.

Someone else mentioned the wasted time-outs. That doesn't happen if the plays are getting down to the field on time and the play-caller is dialed in on what he wants to exploit. I tend to think that entire last drive could be used as evidence that Bevell was feeling a ton of pressure.

Did Lockette run a perfect route? I don't see anyone arguing that he did. The guy is a converted track star with limited experience. (18 catches in his entire career.)

And. of course, they had put that play on film. And Belichick had prepared his secondary for that exact play. That's the definition of being outcoached.

The worst thing about the game is that most undeserving team catches the luckiest break. I mean do the Pats need luck? Isnt there some karma in the world?? Sure it was a great play by the DB but if Wilson throws that ball on the receiver's back arm instead of leading him, he scores a TD, instead the cheaters get another SB title. They also let Bellichick off the hook for his incompetence at time management at the end there. What in the hell was Bellichick thinking not calling timeouts to save some time for Brady to get the ball back after the inevitable TD? I would have so loved for the genius coach to be called out for being a "deer in the headlights" in the aftermath of what should have been a Seattle victory. Lastly, that INT hands Brady the MVP even though he threw 2 awful INTs in that game. Sure Brady threw 4 TDs but it wasnt a vintage Brady perfomance and he has been too obnoxious these past few years. All of these horrible outcomes could have been avoided had somebody with the Seahawks coaching staff made a better decision on the type of pass play or hell just gone for a quick QB sneak.

The worst thing about the game is that most undeserving team catches the luckiest break. I mean do the Pats need luck? Isnt there some karma in the world?? Sure it was a great play by the DB but if Wilson throws that ball on the receiver's back arm instead of leading him, he scores a TD, instead the cheaters get another SB title. They also let Bellichick off the hook for his incompetence at time management at the end there. What in the hell was Bellichick thinking not calling timeouts to save some time for Brady to get the ball back after the inevitable TD? I would have so loved for the genius coach to be called out for being a "deer in the headlights" in the aftermath of what should have been a Seattle victory. Lastly, that INT hands Brady the MVP even though he threw 2 awful INTs in that game. Sure Brady threw 4 TDs but it wasnt a vintage Brady perfomance and he has been too obnoxious these past few years. All of these horrible outcomes could have been avoided had somebody with the Seahawks coaching staff made a better decision on the type of pass play or hell just gone for a quick QB sneak.

IMO, that interception was far less lucky than the bounce of the deflected ball on the 47 yard pass to Kearse that put Seattle in position to go for the go ahead touchdown...and far less lucky than the two point conversion Wilson heaved up against Green Bay...or the bungled onside kick by the Packers...

I'd say Seattle had its fair share of luck in the playoffs...

Okay, so if that is really the logic than call the QB sneak or roll Wilson out where he can run or throw. Not to attempt to run first is what is so stupid in this scenario. To throw over the middle where it is going to be crowded because everyone is expecting Lynch to run was still the worst call in NFL history!

To be clear, I thought that was one of the more embarrassing articles to come out on the topic. I thought the author was a fool, worthy of much mockery.

One of the challenges with being a fan of a football team is that you spend 17 weeks watching your team (and any other NFL game you can), and have a better sense of the game than 95% of the people in the country...but it culminates with a game that is regularly watched by more people than anything ever televised.

There are two problems with this. The first is that any moron from any publication thinks they can write that stupid of an article and be taken seriously. The second, and the reason I stop attending SB parties, is because the only time people at SB parties shut up is when the commercials are on. I didn't just spend almost half a year watching football just to get to the championship game and have Chatty Cathy talk about her new paleo diet while the game is on, only to shut her yap when she sees a Budweiser Clydesdale and a puppy.

So true. We were invited to SB party yesterday, and knowing what was in store, i said no while my wife and son went. I watched it alone -- happily. As for the article, if the author really knew what he was talking about (which he doesn't), he could have stated that a wilson qb sneak could have done the job. Not only does wilson get the glory if he scores, but it's a higher percentage play and also the right call in that situation. It was just a stupid piece.