All time dumbest playcall in a Super Bowl with game on line

patfitz

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He assumed he was wide open, just like Lee Evans assumed no one was going to contest his AFCC winning TD a few years ago and Marlon McCree assumed his INT sealed a playoff game for the Chargers. There's a reason the Pats won all of those games, and it's because Belichick makes sure the guys who fail to exert 100% physically and mentally in crucial situations are almost never on his team.

Not that it excuses the play call, but when the Pats were given the slimmest of chances to save the game, they made the play.

That's really true, and another reason why you run.

The fact is, there were about 18 reasons why you run and about 2 why you throw that pass. That's why it was the worst call ever.

It's horrific because of the situation. The one thing you absolutely cannot afford is an interception. It simply cannot happen.

There is aggressive calls and then there are stupid calls. This wasn't aggressive. It was stupid. It flushed a season's worth of hard work down the toilet.

i believe the Pats were ready for it, because the Hawks ran it successfully during the season out of their goal line package. Bevell's (and Wilson's) mistake was underestimating the impact Browner could have on the play. not a stupid call at all, just a play that couldn't be executed well against that coverage.. had they used that same formation - along with Lockette's flattened out first step to fake the inside slant, and send Butler racing inside - this thread would be about how brilliant Bevel was to get Lockette wide open in the corner. but yeah.. Bevell was obviously wrong in thinking they could execute the play 'as is', but had Kearse out-muscled Browner to get the inside depth needed to cut off Butler - Lockette scores standing up.

i believe the Pats were ready for it, because the Hawks ran it successfully during the season out of their goal line package. Bevell's (and Wilson's) mistake was underestimating the impact Browner could have on the play. not a stupid call at all, just a play that couldn't be executed well against that coverage.. had they used that same formation - along with Lockette's flattened out first step to fake the inside slant, and send Butler racing inside - this thread would be about how brilliant Bevel was to get Lockette wide open in the corner. but yeah.. Bevell was obviously wrong in thinking they could execute the play 'as is', but had Kearse out-muscled Browner to get the inside depth needed to cut off Butler - Lockette scores standing up.

or if butler the UDFA rookie with no big time experience doesnt make the play of a lifetime, or if wilson lobs it to the backside to marshawn, or if he locates the ball on the back shoulder instead of leading him, or lockette realized that the rub didnt happen.... pretty much all the things that couldve gone wrong on that play both in the hawks lack of execution and the pats great execution came out with the worst possible outcome. that it was possible made it a risky play call though. Edited by NoSaint

So, your position is it was a smart call because it could've been a different call altogether?

As far as execution, Seattle was blowing the Patriots off the line of scrimmage. Add that the refs were letting all but the most flagrant things go, and you just have the line clutch and grab and watch either Marshawn or Wilson score. Winning the game, they look pretty smart too.

or if butler the UDFA rookie with no big time experience doesnt make the play of a lifetime, or if wilson lobs it to the backside to marshawn, or if he locates the ball on the back shoulder instead of leading him, or lockette realized that the rub didnt happen.... pretty much all the things that couldve gone wrong on that play both in the hawks lack of execution and the pats great execution came out with the worst possible outcome. that it was possible made it a risky play call though.

i hear ya.. but this play is not being argued as 'risky', but as 'stupid'

the fact that a good play - that's has worked so well that the Pats were prepared for it - couldn't be executed well enough to work as designed had everything to do with the Kearse/Browner matchup at the LOS - nothing else. if Kearse wins that battle, Butler's not there. knowing it's coming, and stopping it, are two different things.. Bevell thought it could work, even with Browner pressing Kearse.. he was wrong.

Is there any doubt Lynch walks it in from the 1 especially after everything that happened in the previous minute? Seahawks got too cute with the clock and didn't finish off a wounded opponent.

So, your position is it was a smart call because it could've been a different call altogether?

As far as execution, Seattle was blowing the Patriots off the line of scrimmage. Add that the refs were letting all but the most flagrant things go, and you just have the line clutch and grab and watch either Marshawn or Wilson score. Winning the game, they look pretty smart too.

i said i liked it.. and it's certainly not 'dumb' or 'stupid' to attempt to run something they've worked hard at perfecting the timing of. Browner blew it up.. and had the coach anticipated that, he would have been brilliant.

could thay have pounded it in for a score - probably.. but how 'dumb' or 'stupid' would Bevell look if they couldn't get in?

I still think PI could have been called the *ats* defender went right through receiver. But don't see it called there. An over the middle pass was lame a pass ok to outside etc might have been. But even with three downs the OL had to be able to get one yard and lynch is a beast and they had two time outs left

No way. There is no such thing as PI within one yard of the LOS. Defensive Holding - yes, PI - no.

The LOS was about the 1 yard line. Receiver was hit in front of the goal line. Both the defender and receiver have a right to the ball.

I don't think it was the right play call, but I don't think it was terribly dumb either. I think it was a great play by Butler to beat the receiver to the ball. The receiver needed to do a better job fighting for the football.

iCgwIG3.jpg

Edited by BlueFire

No way. There is no such thing as PI within one yard of the LOS. Defensive Holding - yes, PI - no.

The LOS was about the 1 yard line. Receiver was hit in front of the goal line. Both the defender and receiver have a right to the ball.

you miiiiight see it called once in awhile 1st quarter of a regular season game but not 20 seconds left in the SB.

i hear ya.. but this play is not being argued as 'risky', but as 'stupid'

the fact that a good play - that's has worked so well that the Pats were prepared for it - couldn't be executed well enough to work as designed had everything to do with the Kearse/Browner matchup at the LOS - nothing else. if Kearse wins that battle, Butler's not there. knowing it's coming, and stopping it, are two different things.. Bevell thought it could work, even with Browner pressing Kearse.. he was wrong.

Risky = stupid when there is no reason to be risky.

That's really true, and another reason why you run.

The fact is, there were about 18 reasons why you run and about 2 why you throw that pass. That's why it was the worst call ever.

Agreed with both you and KD. The thing is, on that sort of play, I'd say that there's a 33 percent chance that a DB will anticipate correctly and jump the route. Unlike a fade or a corner throw, it is the OPPOSITE of a safe play. The Niners in 2013 tried to do a corner throw but it failed because of the fierce Ravens pass rush. It didn't work, but it was the right call.

Edited by dave mcbride

i said i liked it.. and it's certainly not 'dumb' or 'stupid' to attempt to run something they've worked hard at perfecting the timing of. Browner blew it up.. and had the coach anticipated that, he would have been brilliant.

could thay have pounded it in for a score - probably.. but how 'dumb' or 'stupid' would Bevell look if they couldn't get in?

Probably?

I basically took 11 guys to keep Marshawn out from the 5 one play earlier. 3 cracks from the one = "probably"?

The only chance they had was if Marshawn fumbled or there was a bad exchange or something.

Just saw it again for the 50th time and I still don't believe it. It's the dumbest play call in the history of football. 2nd & goal from just inside the one yard line with the clock running. 25 seconds left when the ball was snapped. They had a timeout left. They claim they were wasting a play to kill clock. What? Two plays to get less than a yard to win the Super Bowl. Marshawn Lynch is your running back. Even a QB sneak would have been a better idea on 2nd & goal. Then give it to Lynch on 3rd & goal if he doesn't make it on 2nd & goal or give it to Lynch twice... if he doesn't score on 2nd & goal. Formation was dumb. 3 WR. Gave away the play and the play call itself was even dumber. Slant on a pick play? From the ONE? Too much can go wrong on a pass and it obviously did. Even if the WR catches the ball it doesn't look like he would have scored so.....3rd and goal from the 1 and they run it anyway. Incredible and unbelievable to get that close and just choke. Smarter than Belichick? Dumb dumb dumb.

I also run to grind clock if I don't make it.

But I can see the thought of passing, because it guarantees 3 shots.

If you run once they are going to lay on you and you're going to need to take a timeout or run around like nuts to get a play off.

This way you pass and either score or the clock stops, and you have 1 timeout to use after 3rd down if needed.

I also run to grind clock if I don't make it.

But I can see the thought of passing, because it guarantees 3 shots.

If you run once they are going to lay on you and you're going to need to take a timeout or run around like nuts to get a play off.

This way you pass and either score or the clock stops, and you have 1 timeout to use after 3rd down if needed.

25 seconds is a lot of time from the one yard line. You can run and call TO. That's 20 seconds left. You can run any play and still have plenty of time to line up and do whatever you want without overly rushing IF you cannot gain less than a yard on two running plays with the best short yardage RB and the best running QB in the league.