What do you think will happen with Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

Jerry Hughes  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of Jerry Hughes's pending FA?

• Bills will sign Jerry Hughes during FA
    • Hughes will sign with another team in FA
  2. 2. If Hughes is not signed by the Bills, how should he be replaced?

• Signing another FA pass rusher (i.e. JPP, Pernell McPhee, etc)
    • Drafting a pass rusher in 2015
    • With a player currently on the roster (Jarius Wynn, Randell Johnson, etc)

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. on an any given play any player is just as likely to go down

This is simply not true. Players bodies react to hits differently than other players. Some players can bend certain body parts farther than other players and some players bone structures are a more resilient to big hits than others. There are without a doubt players in the NFL who are more injury prone than others. Athletes who go the length of their careers without injury aren't getting there by luck.

ProFootballTalk: Why Greg Hardy is best available pass rusher http://t.co/qFE2w2DcFX

Per Jay Skurski, Bills are scheduled to meet with Hughes camp on Thursday.

Too little; too late. They should be talking today, tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday, if needed. If they aren't talking until Thursday, that's two days before he can start talking to other teams. Kiss him goodbye

Why? I bet someone offers him more than the Bills have.

I think teams will discount his accomplishments due to his line mates. His first couple of years in the league are not forgotten. Teams will be wary to invest big numbers in him and Jerry knows in his heart of hearts what has brought him his success. And that is why he should make a fair deal and thank the Bills for making him relevant.

Too little; too late. They should be talking today, tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday, if needed. If they aren't talking until Thursday, that's two days before he can start talking to other teams. Kiss him goodbye

You're assuming they haven't been talking to him all along. Which, from everything I've heard, they have been. It's not like Thursday is the first time they've exchanged deal points.

I think we'll find this to be true. That $14m dollar tag amount immediately comes off the available cap space heading into free agency. There's a method to the madness and I'll worry about losing Hughes when we've actually lost him.

GO BILLS!!!

+1 Thank-you!

Whaley's been pretty distinct about chances of Hughes, Searcy, and Spiller being re-signed. IIRC he was very optimistic about Hughes. To me, that meant both sides were close enough in valuation that it was going to happen. Things can change a la McCown but I'm with you and not worried.

True. But this lull in the home stretch isn't a good thing.

Isn't for sure a bad thing either

Sometimes you just need to get to the deadline without overthinking and over talking things and let things happen with time

Edited by NoSaint

Im not sure why people think Hughes is the better fit. Just because he's smaller doesn't mean he can drop back in coverage. Has anyone seen him effective in covering TEs or slot WRs? Maybe he is and I just havent seen it. For the money Id rather have Orakpa who can consistently outmuscle tackles. Something Hughes doesnt do consistently do. That right there gives you more versatility

http://youtu.be/CcCs1t0RRzQ

pettine dropped him back in coverage a couple times in 2013. No bueno. Edge defender.

Yea when Lawson was out hughes struggled in coverage. I doubt we ask him to do it often but... It's a weak point

The play we all remember is him being asked to cover the 4.35 Kenny Stills on a go route with virtually no cushion. Very few cbs can do that, and I'm not sure why we should regard that as a sign of bad coverage skills. That's not why he's on the field anyway ...

The play we all remember is him being asked to cover the 4.35 Kenny Stills on a go route with virtually no cushion. Very few cbs can do that, and I'm not sure why we should regard that as a sign of bad coverage skills. That's not why he's on the field anyway ...

That was one of the plays. Graham ate him up a few times too.

I'm not saying it was top concern, just acknowledging the assessment being discussed. I'm sure rex will make a reasonable assessment and use whoever we get in situations that make best use of their skills.

Yea when Lawson was out hughes struggled in coverage. I doubt we ask him to do it often but... It's a weak point

I still have nightmares of what the Saints did to him. That was painful to watch.

GO BILLS!!!