could Buffalo become a Head Coach prime destination?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A complete misunderstanding of finances. Your house is not making you money, unless you have rental property. The Bills were making at least $20 million per year profit. Ralph also had other businesses. Which are still making the family money.

To take you example to the extreme. The equity of the Bills is at least 1 Billion... so in theory RCW could have secured loans against the value to invest in other businesses.

Plus, didn't RCW often loan huge amounts of money to other teams to keep them afloat. Ralph was very rich, just not Pegulia rich.

Exactly, that guy always pretends to know what he's talking about and 75% of the time he is completely wrong.

Edited by Mark80

no it wasn't

Yes, it was. Forbes consistently listed Ralph Wilson's net worth as about the estimated value of the Buffalo Bills.

A complete misunderstanding of finances. Your house is not making you money, unless you have rental property. The Bills were making at least $20 million per year profit. Ralph also had other businesses. Which are still making the family money.

To take you example to the extreme. The equity of the Bills is at least 1 Billion... so in theory RCW could have secured loans against the value to invest in other businesses.

Plus, didn't RCW often loan huge amounts of money to other teams to keep them afloat. Ralph was very rich, just not Pegulia rich.

Jesus Christ you guys are nitpicky. I was just trying to use an easy example to explain that the vast majority of his wealth was tied up in the team when someone asked if he was super rich or not. No **** you can get a loan against some collateral or property.

Exactly, that guy always pretends to know what he's talking about and 75% of the time he is completely wrong.

Fingers_and_thumb_in_circle_downward_mot

Yes, it was. Forbes consistently listed Ralph Wilson's net worth as about the estimated value of the Buffalo Bills.

Jesus Christ you guys are nitpicky. I was just trying to use an easy example to explain that the vast majority of his wealth was tied up in the team when someone asked if he was super rich or not. No **** you can get a loan against some collateral or property.

Fingers_and_thumb_in_circle_downward_mot

really? How about a link to back up this claim, because you are wrong. On this i would say 100% wrong. But carry on with your unsubstainted insulting blabber.

really? How about a link to back up this claim, because you are wrong. On this i would say 100% wrong. But carry on with your unsubstainted insulting blabber.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11599/11599

Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson doesn't appear on the list. Forbes estimated the Bills' franchise was worth $909 million last year, 26th in the NFL.

Other owners who appear on the 2010 Forbes list: Malcolm Glazer (400th at $2.4 billion), Jerry Jones (556th at $1.8 billion), Jim Irsay (721st at $1.4 billion), Arthur Blank (773rd at $1.3 billion) and Bud Adams, Dan Snyder and Alex Spanos (tied for 880th at $1.1 billion) and Randy Lerner and Jeff Lurie (tied for 937th at $1 billion).

So if the team was valued at just under a billion dollars, and Ralph Wilson isn't on the Forbes 1000 list but someone with a net worth of $1 billion is, what does that tell you?

This link lists the top 19 wealthiest owners all the way down to a billion dollars and Ralph Wilson isn't even listed:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/26/paul-allen-is-the-richest-nfl-owner/

Your turn. Please provide a link showing that Ralph Wilson's net worth was more than what the franchise was worth by even a slightly significant margin.

This tweet by Jay Skurski says:

Rex Ryan, briefly introducing his coordinators, jokes "I'm lucky my owner has deep pockets."

---

When coaches decide on taking a job, wouldn't the wealth (compared to other owners) be a very major factor?

I would think that the wealth of the owner is probably more important for front office/coaches types rather than for players (unless it's a contract in the upper tiers perhaps).

Just another +1 for Pegula...

I've said for a while that any cap number should include coaching and scouts/gm

"ralphs entire net worth was wrapped in the team" lol.

This is what you said, you have not in anyway proved that. Why? Because you cannot nor are you even aware of his other successful business interests. really man you are out of your league, and stating pure speculation on your part. Which is meaningless.

Your " point" is naive at best foolish at worst. best of luck.

I'm out and using the ignore function.

When it comes to coach desired destinations, it's all on the QB. There was a reason Atlanta was on the top of everyone's wish list for jobs and it's not because of weather. It's rare that jobs with entrenched star quality QBs come open and when they do everyone is interested. That's why Cowher and Gruden haven't come back, why give up a cushy job making more than enough money when you need to work with the Geno Smith/Jay Cutler/EJ Manuels of the world? If Indy or Green Bay suddenly came calling, the Grudens of the world would surely be interested, but no one wants to take a job to get fired unless it's an assistant knowing his next chance might not come or a guy like Rex who knows stepping away from the game even for a year will make it very difficult to get back into the head coach rotation.

I think the point about "having an owner w/ deep pockets" was more about having the means to go out and get top level asst. coaches. Guys that want a bit more money than the average OC/DC etc.

And given the staff assembled, I don't think there's any room to argue w/ this point. Proof's in the pudding, but right now, Rex has done a damn fine job IMO. And to the OP's point, it doesn't hurt to have Terry when you want guys like Roman and Kromer.

Ralph's entire worth was wrapped in the team's value. It's kind of like having $50,000 of equity in your house because you own it, but that money isn't cash you can spend unless you sell the house.

Ralph Wilson inherited an Insurance company from his father. He also owned radio, TV stations, manufacturing and mining interests. He loaned the Raiders $400K in 1961 which presemt value would be about $3.2m. His entire wealth was not tied up in an illiquid asset.

It is more relevant when it comes to assistant coaches and facilities. Head Coaches are usually in the same range but the next tier is where the difference is made.

Not only will we pay them fairly, but we seem to have an unlimited appetite for assistant coaches, It seems we will tell anyone near the program we will have a place for them. How does the number of staffers compare to previous years? Imagine if we had kept Pepper, Schwartz, maybe Hackett, and so on.

Its not about how much an owner is worth! Its about how smart the owner is in who he hires to run his franchise for him.

I really disliked the late Baltimore Colts owner Robert Irsay with a passion as he was so rich, and such a skinflint in every aspect. Mostly he was always finding new ways to screw his own players out of money that was owed them. His son Jim is a different animal as he is keenly aware of hiring top talent in the front office, and hired Bill Polian as soon as he could. Once things went bad with Polian as president, and his son as GM Irsay then found other top FO people / coaches. He is a "hands off" owner as he lets his FO make all the player decisions. Jim Irsay was a GM at one point, and yet smart enough to let his FO people make all the football side decisions. Although he is still very involved in day to day activities.

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti is another owner who is very involved and lets his FO make all the player, football decisions.

New Bills owner Terry Pegula is taking over right where Ralph Wilson left off in having the GM, HC report to him. Then if any serious "football" decisions need to be made is a consensuses of Pegula, Brandon, Whaley, and all of which have a grand total of 2 years experience of running the football side of things between them. Terry Pegula= 0 experience. Russ Brandon finance / marketing= 0 actual football experience. Doug Whaley 2 years experience.

The entire point I'm attempting to make is that nobody but scrub coaches wanted to be micromanaged by the last Bills owner! Buddy Nix had inexperienced assistants turning down interviews. Wilson was a notoriously cantankerous meddling owner who would be on the phone to his HC daily for hours during the season, and from a different city. If Pegula is going to put himself in that same position then I highly doubt any top head coach or assistant will want to be hired by the Buffalo Bills no matter how much money you throw at them. Great coaches want to win the ring, and not to be questioned about every move they make. Or would want to be involved with an org with little to no real football intelligence in the FO.

Rex isn't even getting top 10 money, so it does' matter how rich Pegula is.

How many coaches on their first contract are getting as much as Rex? His replacement in NY is getting only $4MM x 4. Rex is getting $5.5 x 5. I bet many of the top ten coaches you cite are on extensions. Edited by PromoTheRobot

^^So $3 million of his almost a $1000 million wealth not being tied up in the team means what? Now you're just splitting hairs. That's like saying all of his wealth wasn't tied up in the team because he had $100 in his pocket.

In 1961 he had $400k he was willing to lend, for all intents and purposes, to a bankrupt franchise. I'm guessing it wasn't all the money he had. Ralph was already a wealthy man when he bought the Bills. The Bills made him much wealthier. They also generated a considerable profit for him annually. Does your house generate a considerable profit for you?

In 1961 he had $400k he was willing to lend, for all intents and purposes, to a bankrupt franchise. I'm guessing it wasn't all the money he had. Ralph was already a wealthy man when he bought the Bills. The Bills made him much wealthier. They also generated a considerable profit for him annually. Does your house generate a considerable profit for you?

So now we're back to the "omg a house isn't like a football team" argument because you can't provide any information whatsoever to show that basically all of Ralph's wealth was tied into the team?

You're nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. If I said "This man is worth almost a billion dollars but all his wealth is tied up into a football team" you really need to pipe up to point out that $3 million of his money isn't? $3 million out of $1000 million, really?

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain