Patriots announce press conf for 1/24

YoloinOhio

is it just me or is Bill B going off the deepend finally. i hope the press keeps "ahem " pressing him.

wonder what it will look like when he finally snaps. I mean i imagine what it will look like.

a puff of smoke , the smell of sulfur

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. Here is the order that explains 1.5 lbs (not 2 though):

1 Patriots super rub the balls, increasing their temp (and the air temp inside) which raises PSI by one pound (per hoodie). For the sake of argument say they measure 13.5 lbs then.

2 Balls are immediately given to officials who find them to measure 13.5, and they deflate them to 12.5 (as requested by Pats)

3 That is the last time balls are normally measured (as best I can tell from what has been stated)

4 If those same balls were just left at room temp for a couple hours, they would cool down and measure 11.5

5 If they go out into 50 degree weather, they drop another half pound to 11 PSI.

The above is not that hard to understand, although many here seem to be struggling with it.

For myself, I think the things at odds with the above, that need to be clarified are:

a) Can the vigorous rubbing actually increase the air pressure by 1 PSI (basically the process needs to generate enough heat to do it)?

b) If it can, how long could that extra 1 PSI hold - and could the Pats get those balls to the refs fast enough that it did hold (hoodie said that is part of their normal game day process)

Bill Nye is full of sh*t when he says the only thing that can deflate a football is a needle. Dropping internal air temp also drops PSI, and he should be smart enought to know that. I drove from AZ into a cold CO one day and was surprised to find all my tires at mid 20 PSI. It's a fact. The only things in question to me are a and b above.

Kind of weird to go through all that trouble to try to explain it that way when there's a much simpler explanation: they cheated.

And the company that makes the footballs just flat out said the only thing that can cause one to lose that much pressure so fast is a pump needle. I'm sure they know more about it than any of us.

Kind of weird to go through all that trouble to try to explain it that way when there's a much simpler explanation: they cheated.

And the company that makes the footballs just flat out said the only thing that can cause one to lose that much pressure so fast is a pump needle. I'm sure they know more about it than any of us.

I'm thinking they realize that nobody can "rub" a football through internal temperature variations of over 50 degrees. The explanation is simply slinging the smelly sticky stuff at a wall to see what sticks.

Got the car buffer all set up. Got a cradle to hold the football. Even have a heater to test at different pressures, so I can feel the difference. The only thing I don't have is a damn football - my wife has expressly forbidden my buying any.

Yes, you read that right. I'm all set to cradle, buff, and feel my balls, and keep them warm. When my wife will let me have them.

Tom:

I would like to wish you the best of luck in buffing your balls.

May your cradle hold your balls firm, may your heater heat gently without scorching, and may you feel the difference in your balls given the various pressures.

There are those who say: "No one buffs his balls like DC Tom," and I think they are right.

Godspeed.

Edited by Stopthepain

This is it in a slightly large nutshell. It’s science, but it’s not rocket science.

From the NBC Sports article on pressure drop due to temperature: “The folks at SportsScience addressed this issue in 2010. A ball exposed to 10-degree temperatures for an hour, the pressure drops from 13.5 PSI to 11 PSI.”

Assuming that was a drop from 70 degrees to 10 degrees, then a 60 degree drop = 2.5 PSI drop, which is approximately 0.4 PSI per 10 degree change.

From the University of Toronto Physicist quoted in this thread: “Morris arrived at his conclusion based on this example: a 30C (86F) refs locker-room temperature, a 0C (32F) field temperature and a 13 PSI initial pressure-gauge reading. Only such a wide temperature difference yields as much as a 2-PSI pressure drop, he said.”

He’s saying a 54 degree drop (from 86 degrees to 32 degrees) = 2 PSI drop, which is also approximately 0.4 PSI per 10 degree change.

Now on to how this all plays out:

Belichick says their ball prep rubbing process increases pressure by about 1 PSI. From the above, for about 1 PSI you need to increase internal ball temp by 20 to 25 degrees.

Balls with 20 degree internal temp rise provided to refs. They set them to 12.5 PSI, per Pats request. At half time, the internal temps are down 45 degrees (-25 degrees or -1 PSI due to the ball prep effect, and another -20 degrees or -0.8 PSI due to the temp drop from 70 degrees inside to 50 degrees at half time). So they measure 10.7. That is 1.8 PSI “low” and close enough to the stated 2 PSI, given the limits of PSI measurement accuracy.

So what about the Colts balls? Suppose they ask for them to be set at 13.5 PSI by the Refs. But they don’t do any ball prep. 13.5 pregame. At halftime, internal ball temp is down 20 degrees only or -0.8 PSI. So they measure 12.7. To the refs “no issue with Colts footballs”.

If you who have debated this for so long don’t want to spend the time to understand this simple math, how long is the public going to care about it?

The only issue is if the Pats football rub process could raise the temp by 20 to 25 degrees. If not, they are liars. If so, this all is explained away by simple boring math.

The only issue is if the Pats football rub process could raise the temp by 20 to 25 degrees. If not, they are liars. If so, this all is explained away by simple boring math.

That's not the only issue. There's another one: how long between the Pats heating the balls up with friction, and giving them to the refs?

Got the car buffer all set up. Got a cradle to hold the football. Even have a heater to test at different pressures, so I can feel the difference. The only thing I don't have is a damn football - my wife has expressly forbidden my buying any.

Yes, you read that right. I'm all set to cradle, buff, and feel my balls, and keep them warm. When my wife will let me have them.

Great stuff! Shades of a Sam Kinison routine.

GO BILLS!!!