Patriots announce press conf for 1/24

YoloinOhio

All that has to happen is John Stewart plays a Belichick or Brady video clip and then makes a funny scrunchy face.

At that point, it doesn't even matter. Everyone watching will laugh at the Patriots* and see them as liars and cheaters. That is happening all over the place. Even politicians are piling on (probably happy that they get to call someone ELSE a liar/cheat for a change).

The simple facts are almost inarguable, Bellichick is an all time great coach, Brady is an all time great QB, the Patriots, Bellichick and Brady are serial cheaters and liars.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is sure making a dole week in sports more interesting. I want to know more details about football preparation. I need Hood to throw on another windbreaker over a long sleeve collared shirt and explain exactly how the footballs are prepped. There may be things going on that would surprise us....like giant industrial dyers spinning at the speed of sound thumping away as footballs pound the NASA designed space material tubes.

Hoodie has been in football for 40 years. That's a lot of time to pick up the tricks. Oh yeah...he knows nothing about the most important piece of equipment used in the game. Forgot. And the chemicals that are sprayed on the footballs to make them more tacky....? Huh.... I want to know. I couldn't care less about PSI. More pressers for Hoodie I say.

But the evidence as we understand it so far (including Bill Nye above) is showing that the Pats* are cheaters and now, after yesterday's press conference, liars, too. Does anyone who has an even rudimentary understanding of science believe his explanation that simply rubbing a football will cause the pressure to go up temporarily in a measurable, material amount?

Even if it did, it wouldn't matter. Look at it this way: you have three different events.

Officials before game check and verify balls are at 12.5psi.

Balls are measured at 10.5psi at half.

Patriots prepare balls, increasing pressure by 1psi.

Put those in a chronological order that results in an explainable 2psi drop. You can't.

Even if it did, it wouldn't matter. Look at it this way: you have three different events.

Put those in a chronological order that results in an explainable 2psi drop. You can't.

Exactly. That explanation and press conference was embarrassing.

But the evidence as we understand it so far (including Bill Nye above) is showing that the Pats* are cheaters and now, after yesterday's press conference, liars, too. Does anyone who has an even rudimentary understanding of science believe his explanation that simply rubbing a football will cause the pressure to go up temporarily in a measurable, material amount? I also question that they do this essential rubdown (which would have Tom Brady sitting there oking the balls) immediately before the game time measurement. That seems non-sensical to me, along with lots of other things that make no sense in their narrative, including why the Colts' balls didn't suffer the same fate.

I also saw a segment on Face the Nation this morning (yes, Bob Schieffer, too, weighed in on this!) in which the USA Today guy covering this story essentially called out Belichick's BS on this, too. I think they tried the "baffle 'em with BS" approach yesterday, which didn't seem to fool anyone paying attention. We'll see if it fooled the masses, however, which may be all they really intended.

Belichick said "We simulated a game day situation in terms of the preparation of the football and where the footballs were at various points in time during the day, or night, as the case was Sunday. I would say that our preparation process for the footballs is what we do. I can’t speak for anybody else. It’s what we do. That process, we have found raises the PSI [pounds per square inch] approximately one pound. That process of creating a tackiness, a texture — the right feel, whatever that feel is, it’s just a sensation for the quarterback, what’s the right feel. That process elevates the PSI approximately one pound based on what our study showed, which was multiple footballs, multiple examples in the process, as we would do for a game. When the footballs are delivered to the officials locker room, the officials were asked to inflate them to 12.5 PSI. What exactly they did, I don’t know. But for the purposes of our study, that’s what we did. We set them at 12.5. That’s at the discretion of the official, though."

I think it is going to come out that "our preparation process" is what is going to come under scrutiny. My guess is that in order to "prepare" 12-24 balls (whatever it is), they put the balls in a large tumbler - to rub them up and give them the tackiness & feel that the QB likes. It wouldn't surprise me that the tumbler they use is an industrial sized clothes dryer. It would explain everything. They may have been doing it for years. Innocently or with ill-intent that is the question, but THAT will be impossible to prove.

Edited by Georgia Bill

And from the official Pats team twitter account:

@Patriots: From the PFW: Informative, emotional Belichick nailed it: http://t.co/I9xPKuJxR2http://t.co/fLkTiZVuBi

Thanks for the link. Was reading through some the follow up tweets, and spit out my drink at this:

Little-known fact: Newton ended each of his laws with "or whatever you think sounds about right. On to Seattle."

Oh, and Bull Bellicheat said flat out yesterday they didn't do that and never have. Although you can't believe him, so maybe they did, ;)

OK, I read the whole transcript and he did indeed say they do not heat the balls or put them into a dryer. So he is sticking by his statement that "rubbing" the balls to prep them causes them to rais PSI by one lb. Bill Nye says no can do. Somebody should do the experiment to see.

OK, I read the whole transcript and he did indeed say they do not heat the balls or put them into a dryer. So he is sticking by his statement that "rubbing" the balls to prep them causes them to rais PSI by one lb. Bill Nye says no can do. Somebody should do the experiment to see.

DC Tom's on it.

DC Tom's on it.

Got the car buffer all set up. Got a cradle to hold the football. Even have a heater to test at different pressures, so I can feel the difference. The only thing I don't have is a damn football - my wife has expressly forbidden my buying any.

Yes, you read that right. I'm all set to cradle, buff, and feel my balls, and keep them warm. When my wife will let me have them.

Got the car buffer all set up. Got a cradle to hold the football. Even have a heater to test at different pressures, so I can feel the difference. The only thing I don't have is a damn football - my wife has expressly forbidden my buying any.

Yes, you read that right. I'm all set to cradle, buff, and feel my balls, and keep them warm. When my wife will let me have them.

:lol: :lol:

:beer:

hahahaha

According to the laws of physics, the equipment man must have rubbed the football from room temperature, say 70, to a temperature at testing time of 116 degrees.

Hmm.

Similarly, the NFL must've measured the balls after bringing their ambient temperature down to -15 degrees just to create controversy. Seeing as this is all in their best interest and all, it seems pretty plausible.

:lol:

PS: Here's a handy link for the Cheatriot apologists. http://www.webqc.org/gay_lussac_gas_law.html

OK. Here is the order that explains 1.5 lbs (not 2 though):

1 Patriots super rub the balls, increasing their temp (and the air temp inside) which raises PSI by one pound (per hoodie). For the sake of argument say they measure 13.5 lbs then.

2 Balls are immediately given to officials who find them to measure 13.5, and they deflate them to 12.5 (as requested by Pats)

3 That is the last time balls are normally measured (as best I can tell from what has been stated)

4 If those same balls were just left at room temp for a couple hours, they would cool down and measure 11.5

5 If they go out into 50 degree weather, they drop another half pound to 11 PSI.

The above is not that hard to understand, although many here seem to be struggling with it.

For myself, I think the things at odds with the above, that need to be clarified are:

a) Can the vigorous rubbing actually increase the air pressure by 1 PSI (basically the process needs to generate enough heat to do it)?

b) If it can, how long could that extra 1 PSI hold - and could the Pats get those balls to the refs fast enough that it did hold (hoodie said that is part of their normal game day process)

Bill Nye is full of sh*t when he says the only thing that can deflate a football is a needle. Dropping internal air temp also drops PSI, and he should be smart enought to know that. I drove from AZ into a cold CO one day and was surprised to find all my tires at mid 20 PSI. It's a fact. The only things in question to me are a and b above.

Edited by Georgia Bill