Why isn't there more talk about resigning Brandon Spikes?

Vinaccia

Harris is 31. Still playing at a high level but a lot of wear and tear on the body. Not sure who will pay him a ton. I really hope we get either him or Spikes, but we also really don't know what kind of defense that Rex will run. I want one of those two, although we have three solid others.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's going to replace those personal foul penalties? ;)

Buffalo has seemingly done well drafting LB's the past few years. Brown has 3 years left on his contract, Alonso I believe has 3, and there's Bradham who played well in his third season.

You keep Spikes, who at times played less than 20% of the defensive snaps, and you're probably losing something elsewhere.

I shared this before but I know for a fact Brandon Spikes wants Buffalo to resign him. He loves the hire of Rex and couldn't stand Marrone. He said that he was a very distant coach and didn't talk or relate to the players. He is sad to see Swartz leave and said that last year was the most fun playing football that he has ever had and that includes his super bowl and college championship years. Spikes really enjoys the group of guys on the defense on and off the field; gets along great with them all. In conclusion he noted that the fans deserve better than Marrone and that Rex is great hire and one that the fans should be proud of.

I shared this before but I know for a fact Brandon Spikes wants Buffalo to resign him. He loves the hire of Rex and couldn't stand Marrone. He said that he was a very distant coach and didn't talk or relate to the players. He is sad to see Swartz leave and said that last year was the most fun playing football that he has ever had and that includes his super bowl and college championship years. Spikes really enjoys the group of guys on the defense on and off the field; gets along great with them all. In conclusion he noted that the fans deserve better than Marrone and that Rex is great hire and one that the fans should be proud of.

Coming from the pats and notes marrone is distant and not good with players....

I don't believe Spikes is a key piece of the puzzle moving forward, but you can't have enough guys on your team with his kind of attitude. He embraced Buffalo fully.

Hughes and Searcy are much more important pieces. I would like Spikes back too.

For the record, I think Searcy is marginal to bad in coverage but significantly better than he was a couple years ago. But I think he could be a terror in Ryan's defense. Ryan will bring him from all angles and spots to pressure the line of scrimmage.

perhaps the lack of discussion on Spikes has had to do with what HC the Bills would hire and what D alignment would be implemented. Now that we know that it's Rex and an attacking, hybrid 3-4, I'm sure the Bills are looking at LB options.....sounds like Mario, Making Plans for Nigel, Preston/Spikes, and Kiko.

Regardless of the outcome on Spikes, I'm excited as hell about watching this D next season.

This. also excited as hell.

Spikes would be an asset. continuity smart player and a team captain type of leadership. and he can sniff out a gap like nobodys business. very hard to run against us last year because of his presence. I would love to get all 3-4 hybrid and keep Spikes and Brown in the middle of the field

He would be a role player with Kiko back if they bring in Harris he will be the same way, neither is going to see the field even in a 3-4 unless Kiko is hurt. Harris would probably be better as he knows what Rex wants to do. I would think both would be looking to play in a place they will start if not then depth would be good although I think they will need to draft a LB late or bring in an UDFA for depth and to play on special teams neither Spikes or Harris would have an impact on ST.

He would be a role player with Kiko back if they bring in Harris he will be the same way, neither is going to see the field even in a 3-4 unless Kiko is hurt. Harris would probably be better as he knows what Rex wants to do. I would think both would be looking to play in a place they will start if not then depth would be good although I think they will need to draft a LB late or bring in an UDFA for depth and to play on special teams neither Spikes or Harris would have an impact on ST.

Kiko plays OLB...

Edited by Beef Jerky

I don't know how similar Rex's defense is to Pettine's, but I'd hate so see our D getting gashed by the run like that again. I figure Rex is familiar with Spikes, both having been in the AFCE for years, and thus knows what his value is in his defense. So I assume it will work out for the best either way. But I do like the idea of having a guy that can clog up those running lanes when you need it.

I'd love to keep Spikes, but he'll have to be cheap, since he would only be in for running situations. It's always good to have depth.

Kiko, Brown, Bradham, Spikes + Mario/Hughes? I'll take it.

That's starting to sound like the makings of a defense that could be legendary.

Spikes is a LB that can't find a spot on a single sub-package with the Bills current roster. What value is that? Dareus has far more to do with run-stuffing than Spikes. Bradham, Brown, and Alonso are solid 3 down, any sub-package you want LBs. All 3 can cover, play the run, and blitz.